iPhone app not working? (1/5/11)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driveleaf

So I'm the proud owner of #245, in silver. I have linked to CARWINGS, which is fantastic. I can see all the stats of the car as promised.

But for the life of me, I can't get the iphone app to log into the car. It just says "Cannot login" Anyone else get it working yet?

the iphone app has been on and off for me since I've been using it.
Usually things work out again if you wait a little bit (from minutes to hours).

driveleaf said:
So I'm the proud owner of #245, in silver. I have linked to CARWINGS, which is fantastic. I can see all the stats of the car as promised.

But for the life of me, I can't get the iphone app to log into the car. It just says "Cannot login" Anyone else get it working yet?

It's working for me. Be sure you are using your nissan owner's portal password, not the random carwings PIN.

This quote is from vkruger, posted yesterday in the spreadsheet thread:

"They had trouble starting up CarWings for the 3 of us there this mourning. They had to reinstall some software which took about 45 minutes. The problem was identified quickly and resolved. I was impressed they were knowledgeable enough to nail down the problem so fast. What I saw on the screen made me think I was only in a bad cell phone reception area. They weren't fooled. This bodes well for resolving future problems (we all know there will be a few)."

Might be worth having AV Nissan check into this issue! Then they will know how to fix my LEAF, when it gets there tomorrow (I hope).

-Karl

Just to be clear, the Carwings system appears to be working normally. I can log into the Nissan owners portal through the web just fine and get status updates on the car. (83% charged, currently unplugged, etc.)

The only failure appears to be the iPhone app itself, unable to log into the carwings server.

But still, it's non functional as of today. Perhaps today was leaf day, and tomorrow is app day.

Picked up our Leaf (#240) this morning but didn't have the Carwings log in info to open the account for the car. When I got home from work I went through the printed instructions for initializing the car using my log in and the Nissan generated password. Tried to get the iPhone app to work but kept getting the same errors as above until I used my regular Leaf log in password. (Thanks wsbca)

So now at least the iPhone app lets me log in but currently the iPhone app shows a 0% charge on the battery, so it doesn't seem that the car/nissan/iphone are completely working. But at least the iphone app fires up instead of getting log in/pw errors! :)

-john

(ok, so after messing with the app a bit I got it to talk to the car. After you initialize the app for the first time it needs to be updated by pressing the update button (4th button on the bottom menu bar) then it talks to Nissan to get the status. COOL!)

Got ours #181 home tonight. The app has never worked for me. But Carwings works fine on the car itself (although it couldn't find any chargers, even the one right there at the dealer!)

**OFF TOPIC WARNING**

ok, i checked android and nothing for us yet. i tried logging into the Nissan site thru my phone and it does not show much other than i have no car registered, but does not allow me to view settings. does anyone who has android and has received their car , can they use carwings from their phone?

Problem solved:

Delete the iphone app from your iphone. (Hold your finger on it until it jiggles, the press the red X in the upper corner.)

Ensure you have free memory on the phone. (I had to delete a movie that I was carrying onboard the phone)

Re-install the app from itunes app store.

It appears to connect just fine to the car now. Probably a hang up from getting the app too early, and trying to get it to log in. Or else it was related to the memory issue in the phone.

WWBD said:
Got ours #181 home tonight. The app has never worked for me. But Carwings works fine on the car itself (although it couldn't find any chargers, even the one right there at the dealer!)

Yes our dealer's EVSE didn't show up either (even though they thought it should have been in the carwings database)...until we charged from it after carwings had been set up. Now that's the only one our car knows about, based, I believe, on its personal experience, not on the database.

As to the app - until your car was talking to carwings, it wasn't likely to do anything. The key things mentioned earlier in this thread are - use your Portal password, not the carwings random "pin", and once it's logged in, you have to explicitly tell it to update its data (update button on the bottom row). It talks to the carwings server requesting an update, Carwings pings your car, then replies to the phone. The app displays an alert that the status has been updated, and then you should see your state of charge. If your portal is set up to do so, you'll also get an email saying an update (of carwings data) was done. I do not believe that the app actually communicates directly with your car.

I used the phone app this morning to set the climate control timer from inside the house. The car was plugged in, but quiescent (having charged to 80% last night). The timer you set from the phone is the "time to start warming up the car"....this differs from when you set a climate control timer in the Nav unit, there it's the "time you plan to leave", in that case it fires up the climate control in advance of your departure (haven't tested that one yet).

Anyway... at the appointed time, the (still plugged in) car started sucking juice again from the Clipper Creek EVSE, and warming up the car. By that time I was gone on my bike commute - my wife reported that when she went out to the car (25 minutes after the timer kicked in), the EVSE was active and climate control was operating in the car. Rather than just unplug, she hit the stop button on the EVSE, then unplugged. That caused the climate control to "automatically" cease. And she was on her way.

What I don't know is how much juice from the EVSE it took to cozy up the car during those 25 minutes. I'm hoping it was not operating at a full 3.3KW.

It should be noted - the remote climate control management is not a full interface to the climate control system that you can adjust from within the vehicle, it simply triggers a default target of ~77 degrees in the vehicle - it's either on and trying to reach that temp, or it's not.

wsbca said:
What I don't know is how much juice from the EVSE it took to cozy up the car during those 25 minutes. I'm hoping it was not operating at a full 3.3KW.

Once I get my car, I'll be able to tell you exactly how much juice it uses. I have a TED monitor set up with one 'monitor' set exclusively for the EVSE circuit. Right now, the Clipper Creek is reading .005kW while 'resting' with nothing plugged in.

wsbca said:
It should be noted - the remote climate control management is not a full interface to the climate control system that you can adjust from within the vehicle, it simply triggers a default target of ~77 degrees in the vehicle - it's either on and trying to reach that temp, or it's not.
It aims for 77 whether it's heating or cooling? I'd expect a much cooler temperature when heating to be comfortable - for example, I only heat my house to 66! And only turn on the house AC when hot and then down to 76-78 or so.

Seems like allowing some customization could reduce grid load a decent amount by avoiding unnecessary heating/cooling (OK, 77 for cooling seems like a reasonable default to me, but higher would be better in case you don't get to your car for a bit and a 80* interior car isn't bad if it's not heat soaked).

Hi wsbca,

The car was indeed talking to carwings successfully. The iphone app was not talking to carwings.

I was using the portal password before, and used the same password after (not the random pin). Updates were available on the carwings website (I could force a ping from the web interface.) But the app never logged in far enough to even let me set options such as auto update.

It was not until the uninstall and reinstall that the app played nice with the carwings server. And you are correct, the app itself never communicates with the car, only with carwings data center servers.

The car played nice since yesterday, as it should have.

I also agree that the climate control option is rather limited, and should have designed for a "Hi & Low" type of setting.

Oh well, here's to App 2.0, and Dash Firmware 1.1 ... :)

And app 2.0 should show me the current percentage of charge, just like the full Carwings site, not a meaningless bar graph.

garygid said:
You mean kW, not kWh?
If so, your CC EVSE is using 5 watts,
or 0.120 kWh per day,
or about 3.6 kWh per month, right?

You're right, Gary. I edited my original post. The Clipper Creek is alternating now between .004kW and .005kW at idle. Which means (if my math is correct) 4-5watts at idle or about 3.3-3.6kWh per month.

Back