Is the Leaf right for us?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "range" (what we all call the GOM - Guess-O-Meter) is based on your recent driving history. If your recent driving consumed a fair amount of energy/mile (driving fast, climbing hills), the range meter will read lower. Conversely, if you were using low energy/mile (driving slow and/or going downhill) recently, it will read a higher value. With a 2013 model, you have a SOC (State-Of-Charge) display on the center status display (press the square button in the cluster with the trip button until the battery with a % is shown). You'll quickly build up knowledge like, "Driving from home to work takes 15% charge" or whatever it might be. This will vary with temp and battery age, but you'll soon be driving around with the knowledge that you can make it to your destination and back.

The L1/L2 decision at home really boils down to convenience. With L1 charging, there were times that the car was still trying to finish charging from the night before when I was ready to leave. With L1, I was always charging when the car was at the house. With L2, it wash't critical to get home right away to start the charging for the next day's commute. It all depends upon how much your daily driving amounts to and you'll probably find like most that you favor driving the EV whenever possible.

Ahhhhhh, the GOM. Since we just got it home last night, the GOM was based on the test drives on this particular Leaf. So I guess once we get it going for awhile, we will improve that. I will pay more attend to the SOC (I was wondering what people are referring to on this one) to see how much battery % the commute actually consumes.

So much to learn! Good stuff!!!

TonyAndTina said:
BTW, is it possible to reset the GOM and start over?

First, you can use that % meter on your dash with the range chart you posted in the first post.

I wish the GOM were a "rated range" meter, but there's good news! You can buy a cheap Andriod device like the Kyocera Event from Best Buy, etc, for about $50:

kyocera-event-479x500.jpg

Then download an app called "LEAF Spy" app and buy a compatible ELM327 device for about $20 and you will get a "Distance To Empty" (DTE) that looks like this:

thJmMnM.png

Back