Is there an aux video input on the Clarion Console

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillaWhat

I'm putting in a Micro Dash Camera, that needs a remote display for setup.
Is there an aux video input on the Clarion Console, and if so, how do I select it to View?

Thanks

The backup camera video feed is only active when in reverse. There is a kit you can purchase to override this behavior:

http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-leaf/remote-bypass-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but then you have the problem of splicing in another video feed.

ampitupco said:
The backup camera video feed is only active when in reverse. There is a kit you can purchase to override this behavior:

http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-leaf/remote-bypass-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link (I sold my truck so my FLIR is looking for a new home). However, before I spend $175 on the kit, I was wondering if the backup guides are superimposed on the camera feed or if that only happens when actually in reverse. Anyone here install this kit and can answer?

TickTock said:
ampitupco said:

Thanks for the link (I sold my truck so my FLIR is looking for a new home). However, before I spend $175 on the kit, I was wondering if the backup guides are superimposed on the camera feed or if that only happens when actually in reverse. Anyone here install this kit and can answer?
Nevermind, a little further down the page there is a video demonstration and unfortunately the guides *are* superimposed. Drat.

The reverse camera is a simple composite video signal (just like the old "RCA" video cables you'd run from your VCR) - so your 'new' video source will need to be able to send out that sort of signal. You'll have to wire in a relay to switch the input from the backup camera to the source you're trying to use in addition to the kit above, meaning the composite video signal wire will need to be interrupted - but if that kit is a pass-through of the 40-pin AV-nav harness (which is what it looks like), you can make that modification within the wires of the kit itself, so still no car-wire-splicing needed.

*edit*, you're right, that wouldn't take care of the reverse guides. Not sure of a good way to do that, or if it's even possible. I believe the steering wheel position is transmitted to the avnav via canbus, and disconnecting can signal would cause too many other problems to be feasible.

Back