Issue with Display?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanDust

When I put the Leaf into gear the bottom of the display pops out about 1/8" and it stays that way until the car is turned off. Is this normal? I don't remember it working this way but it's possible. If I open it and then close it the display comes back to the flush position and then pops out. Yesterday the NAV stopped its guidance in the middle of a drive, which has never happened before, so I'm wondering if there is some hardware issue.

There's a physical button on the bottom edge of the of the display that, if you press and release, will open up to reveal the CD and SD card slots. If you press and hold, however, it'll go to the next of four or so tilt positions--and after the last, it'll cycle back to closed.

My in-laws had theirs get like that, and couldn't figure out how they'd done it. They were in their call, talking to me over blue tooth while I looked it up in the manual!

The nav thing is something else--hope that's not a recurring issue for you.

SanDust said:
When I put the Leaf into gear the bottom of the display pops out about 1/8" and it stays that way until the car is turned off. Is this normal? I don't remember it working this way but it's possible. If I open it and then close it the display comes back to the flush position and then pops out. Yesterday the NAV stopped its guidance in the middle of a drive, which has never happened before, so I'm wondering if there is some hardware issue.
Press and HOLD the open/close button, and it'll cycle to the next angle. Do so and you'll eventually cycle back to the flush position.

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try. I did try pressing Open/Close but maybe I didn't hold it long enough.

EDIT: That was it! The last optional position is pretty weird.

Here's my display issue for today... the display went to black, with just the backup prediction lines and text warning at the bottom of the display. Couldn't see the map screen. I hit every button, but nothing changed. Drove about 20 miles, then turned the car off. Cycling back on, it returned to a normal display:

d6f403cf.jpg

Yeah, I think you have an issue there. I would get it in and have it looked at. Try to get it in though while it's exhibiting one of the problems - I've been around computers for almost all of my adult life and intermittent hardware problems are often the most difficult to reproduce if they aren't there while I'm examining the malfunctioning piece of equipment.

TonyWilliams said:
Here's my display issue for today... the display went to black, with just the backup prediction lines and text warning at the bottom of the display.
Looks like someone spray painted the camera lens. I've had a few camera shots that looked like that. Did you remember to take the lens cap off? :D

Since that is a test mode and not actually designed to be used in such a fashion, it would be hard to make a case with Nissan that it is a problem if it doesn't actually also happen in normal reverse mode...

TonyWilliams said:
This picture was taken while driving down the road at highway speed... not in reverse.

TonyWilliams said:
This picture was taken while driving down the road at highway speed... not in reverse.
TomT said:
Since that is a test mode and not actually designed to be used in such a fashion, it would be hard to make a case with Nissan that it is a problem if it doesn't actually also happen in normal reverse mode...
Unless, of course, it went into that mode all by itself and he didn't manually put it into test mode!

TomT said:

TonyWilliams said:

I'm not following. What isn't supposed to be used in what fashion? I started the car, put it in reverse, got the normal camera/prediction lines, then put the car in D, and that was the result (the picture above).

It continued that way for 20 miles, regardless of which buttons I used.

GeekEV said:
Unless, of course, it went into that mode all by itself and he didn't manually put it into test mode!

It's not in the test mode, either by me selecting it, or by looking at the result. Test mode would have the camera up. This doesn't.

Seems like a software issue. The camera went off when you put the car in D, as it should have, but the car never figured out it had gone into D so the process stopped. You ended up in limbo, with the car recognizing that you had begun to leave R but not recognizing that you had gone to D. The camera was shut off but the lines weren't removed and the normal display that we see in D didn't' appear.

It might never happen again and hopefully it won't.

FWIW I know a guy who can still have the Blink plugged in but the car thinks it's been unplugged.

It's got another quirk, where it will only let me look at the first 30 of my Address book entries while driving. I can scroll through 6 pages of data, but not 7. Goofy.

But, I can move around a location in Map mode while driving, no problemo.

It's not even in the same universe as the Blink, but it has a few oddities.

Assuming the messages indicating that the car is entering/leaving reverse go over the CAN bus, it might be the long cable to the SOC meter causing a message to get garbled. It would have been interesting if you had shifted to reverse and back to drive. It might have cleared the condition.

Ahh, ok. It wasn't clear to me that it had actually commenced in a normal reverse operation... I thought it had been called up from the test mode when you were moving forward... It sounds like it terminated the camera when you shifted to Forward but didn't clear the screen; basically, the system crashed...

TonyWilliams said:
I'm not following. What isn't supposed to be used in what fashion? I started the car, put it in reverse, got the normal camera/prediction lines, then put the car in D, and that was the result (the picture above).

It continued that way for 20 miles, regardless of which buttons I used.

Had the stuck-on backup camera happen to me for the first time a week ago. The only thing that would clear it was turning the car off and then back on...

9vblnk.jpg

Back