July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GaslessInSeattle said:
It may have a lot to do with the announcement of the 2013 Leaf upgrades and how they may be available as soon as August.
Good point. There is also some conjecture that the price may be a little lower once production starts in Tennessee.

But I still think it is hard for anyone in most of the USA to buy a LEAF from Nissan. Until they fix that, sales will continue to languish.

Not that one buyer is significant but I know a guy who has driven mine and says he wants one, but after researching it decided to wait for a 2013. Who knows, there may be another reason to wait then. Most people don't see any sense of urgency even if they have warmed to the whole idea... and who can blame them? You can always make the decision to buy later.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Not that one buyer is significant but I know a guy who has driven mine and says he wants one, but after researching it decided to wait for a 2013. Who knows, there may be another reason to wait then. Most people don't see any sense of urgency even if they have warmed to the whole idea... and who can blame them? You can always make the decision to buy later.
I think this has a lot to do with the sales. Anyone who knows enough about the Leaf to want one is probably assuming they will need to wait a while to get one, so comparing with the next model year makes sense. This time last year we were looking at an increase in price with the cold pack being the only added feature, so people jumped on the remaining 2011s. This year the situation is reversed, so slower sales are likely.

And they still don't advertise and their sales staff remain indifferent. Maybe they will put on a bigger show with cheaper American made Leafs in the fall.

KJD said:
The problem is lack of charging stations. Here in Salt Lake County there must be over a thousand gas stations and compare that to the ten EV charge stations. 6 months ago there was one. If not for Walgreens stores there would still only be one. The best way to solve range anxiety is put charging stations everywhere.
That's one way, and a very expensive way at that.

The other way is to simply educate people that a perfectly adequate infrastructure already exists. There are outlets in virtually every home out there!

(Okay, I admit the cheaper way is MUCH more difficult)

I think consumer education is still a HUGE factor.

When I talk to people about my Leaf, there is still complete lack of knowledge and amazement at the following...

1) It is 100% electric.
2) It is available (OK, we could debate that but it took me 6 weeks for a custom order)
3) That is what all those charging stations I've started seeing are for?
4) There are places you can charge in 15 minutes?
5) Wow, that isn't tiny!
6) It actually has acceleration?

An available 100% electric 5-seat mid sized car with good acceleration that can be quickly charged around town.

Everything in that sentence is something most people don't know (or might not believe until they see it).

The biggest thing I see spurring sales is going to be word of mouth. The more people that know someone who has taken the plunge and are happy about it, the more people will be willing to jump in. I'm not sure how much of that can be done with advertising, this is something people are going to want to see their friends doing.

All I know is that everyone I talk to about it thinks it is really cool and seems excited that electric cars are a reality (they didn't know). If that kind of excitement turns into sales, we'll have something....

I dont think the average consumer intersted in a leaf knows about the heater or 6.6kw charger and is waiting for a 2013

we are in the minority here with that knowledge and understanding

people are not "holding off" for the 2013 Leaf, they just are not interested in a Leaf at all.

kmp647 said:
people are not "holding off" for the 2013 Leaf, they just are not interested in a Leaf at all.

+1

Ask yourself this question... forget EVs and the Leaf, think back a few years, certainly there were times when a neighbor or co-worker showed up with a new car that was cool. Did you run out and buy one too? Probably not. In the first place you have to be in the market for a new car, and with the economy lately fewer people are making discretionary car purchases.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Ask yourself this question... forget EVs and the Leaf, think back a few years, certainly there were times when a neighbor or co-worker showed up with a new car that was cool. Did you run out and buy one too? Probably not. In the first place you have to be in the market for a new car, and with the economy lately fewer people are making discretionary car purchases.
That's certainly true, but one couple who I let test-drive my LEAF ARE in the market for a new car, thought it fit their needs perfectly, and could easily simply make the purchase with cash the next day if they chose to. But none of that matters, since there is no way to go to the local dealer here and get one. I got the only one available for purchase here. They would need to go through Nissan's sales-prevention system to get their own.

via May 2, 2012 Volt blog Posted by Jeff Cobb: http://gm-volt.com/2012/05/02/volt-has-third-best-sales-month-yet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Further facts of interest are that for the 2012 calendar year to date, Detroit-Hamtramck has built 5,095 Volts and 3,382 Opel Amperas.

For 2012 model year to date, the assembly plant has so far turned out 16,336 Volts and 5,987 Amperas.

Ampera sales reported for April were 557 total units.

I love it "sales prevention system" :p

you got that right, btw , are there any N Va dealers who have a Leaf available?

gotta think somone has them or at least a few?

Lexus sold 1620 CT200h models in the USA in April

thats a $32k to $39k small hatchback with the prius powertrain

1,620 ct is a good number 370 Leaf is not

Look at the CT200h styling , interior, dash etc, drive it and check the handling

Nissan should dump the leaf styling , use the CT as a benchmark

kmp647 said:
are there any N Va dealers who have a Leaf available?

gotta think somone has them or at least a few?
There probably are a few around DC that they could purchase, but we are about 60 miles away and most people around here would prefer to buy from the local dealership, since there are often benefits available only if you bought the car from them.

As it is, the dealerships are trying to figure out how to make money on a car that has so few maintenance requirements. My dealer offers some sort of lifetime tire deal on every car they sell EXCEPT the LEAF. They were very up front to tell me that they couldn't figure out how to pay for that since the car did not require a normal amount of service. This is a big difference versus the Volt where one could argue there are MORE maintenance items on that car than a normal gasoline vehicle.

Hard to put the numbers in perspective. Can't really say they are "horrible" or come to any conclusions about what this means in terms of consumer sentiment without more info, such as

- worldwide sales
- days worth of inventory in the US.
- Nissan's real plans

Nubo said:
Hard to put the numbers in perspective. Can't really say they are "horrible" or come to any conclusions about what this means in terms of consumer sentiment without more info, such as
- worldwide sales
- days worth of inventory in the US.
- Nissan's real plans

OK let me try and help out on the "Perspective".

US Light vehicle sales were at 14.4 Million annual rate in April.
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2012/05/us-light-vehicle-sales-at-1442-million.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

14.4 million per year = about 1.2 million per month.
Leaf sales were 370 units in April

My conclusion is Leaf sales are in trouble and if we want this car to survive then we have to change something quick.

KJD said:
OK let me try and help out on the "Perspective".

US Light vehicle sales were at 14.4 Million annual rate in April.
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2012/05/us-light-vehicle-sales-at-1442-million.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

14.4 million per year = about 1.2 million per month.
Leaf sales were 370 units in April

My conclusion is Leaf sales are in trouble and if we want this car to survive then we have to change something quick.
Your perspective is rather useless, as it doesn't account for many things, such as supply. Unless Nissan says something to the effect of the sales being disappointing, then I don't want to hear any more gloom and doom about the sales numbers until 2013 when US made Leafs will start rolling out.

RegGuheert said:
This is a big difference versus the Volt where one could argue there are MORE maintenance items on that car than a normal gasoline vehicle.
If you compare the recommended maintenance schedule for the Volt and LEAF it is not at all obvious that the LEAF would have the lower cost. The schedules are largely similar except that the Volt has a bit more coolant to be replaced periodically but the cost of changing the oil and filter every two years in the Volt is 2-3 times cheaper than the recommended brake fluid change in the LEAF every two years.

KJD said:

I disagree! If the LEAF were a conventional USA only car that offered no new (ridically disruptive) technology then I would agree. But the reality is that it is a global car and planting the EV flag for all time. I think some people are having trouble grasping the basics of this. Nissan has HUGE plans for EV's and they are just clearing their throat.

IMHO, most buyers don't want to buy the "first" of anything. They want the bugs worked out and know it will get cheaper and better over time. There is alot of fence sitting with EV's right now. To push it to the next level and achieve critical mass, Nissan needs to punch Americans in the face with something new and very exciting. People want to love what they drive and without a strong emotional factor we are just left with a bunch of IT guys comparing CarWings data.

adric22 said:
Your perspective is rather useless, as it doesn't account for many things, such as supply.
I don't think this is supply constraints. Do you? The numbers are just too low. I can see how it might be hard to get 2000 units a month but surely the US market could get 1000.

I agree it's too early to hit the panic button. At the same time I think it's clear that Nissan is going to have to change its marketing if it wants to expand beyond the "environmental" niche, which is turning out to be very small.

JeffN said:
If you compare the recommended maintenance schedule for the Volt and LEAF it is not at all obvious that the LEAF would have the lower cost. The schedules are largely similar except that the Volt has a bit more coolant to be replaced periodically but the cost of changing the oil and filter every two years in the Volt is 2-3 times cheaper than the recommended brake fluid change in the LEAF every two years.
Complicated issue. The scheduled maintenance will be lower with the Volt. But there is more to go wrong on the Volt, so that might be more. However, going the other way the Volt battery should last longer with the TMS. Not sure whether to call this maintenance or lower depreciation.

KJD said:

Looks like cause for concern to me as well. You'd think Nissan or their dealers would have a pulse on how many people are clamoring for a Leaf but can't get one. My sense is not many. There was pent up demand when this product launched by people who just had to have one, but now a lot of that is being satisfied, and it is unclear how many of the unwashed masses are going to line up at the altar.

I bet if you talked to people in the business of moving iron off of lots every weekend they will tell you cars don't sell themselves. To get a real measure you need product in stock, and an army of guys in polo shirts asking people who walk in the door what color their wife likes, what they want their payment to be, and would they like something to drink.

TRONZ said:
IMHO, most buyers don't want to buy the "first" of anything. They want the bugs worked out and know it will get cheaper and better over time. There is alot of fence sitting with EV's right now.
I think Nissan has definitely tried to be on top of this. I love my LEAF! It's not perfect, but I've never owned a perfect car, and the LEAF is far better than many. For Nissan to have achieved such a refined product at the first generation is really amazing.

So far as low sales, I think Nissan is intentionally limiting sales in the US because of the exchange rate, but I expect this to change when Smyrna comes online. Nissan is in this for the long haul. Their measured, incremental, but steady approach to building their company and dealer infrastructure to sustain EVs in the long run certainly inspires confidence in me. There's a lot more going on than just the sales figures at this early stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back