June-30 Nissan Mail

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin,

I know all about the LEAF. I know all about the tax relief in all the states. I was one of the first to sign up for the LEAF on the first day. The frustration is Nissan bending over backwards to allow people in Cali to jump the line. They should just do it in the order of the reservations. If you have someone that does not meet the requirements then bump them to the back. They are placing false constraints on people. I tried to get the EV1 and was told many lies by GM.

You have Mark Perry Lieing through his teeth like all salesmen. He will tell you that charging will be at home at night in your garage for 80% of the people. Then he will say that you can't have a LEAF until there is infrastructure in place. I Drive 5.8 miles to work. I can not find any reason for charging a car during the day time on peak electric usage. I will drive 30-40 mph and stop 3 times on a bad day to work and 0 times on a good day. I could go to work, the airport, the mall and the grocery store and still not hit 40 miles in a day. There is no reason to make me wait a year or so longer than the people in Cali. The federal government does not need to provide free chargers for the people on the West Coast either. You make a lot more money out there than I do becuase of the cost of living. So the cost of the charger is smaller percetage of the disposible income. I just wish Nissan an Mark Perry would stop with all the lies.

I was thinking yesterday that from now until the end of the year the anti-Nissan/anti-Leaf trolls and FUD would get heavier. Looks like the 'fun' is starting...

Ah, thanks for that...so not a troll, but very frustrated.

Cool, I can understand that...heck I was in line for an aptera for over two years of delays.

What market are you in? Are you in one of the five roll out states or dc?

It seems Phoenix and Tucson are getting lots of set ups, so it isn't just Cali.

I don't think I will be getting mine in December ( though maybe from my Phoenix order), but I'm pretty confident I will get one in early 2011

I do think Nissan is learning as they go and aren't really 100% on how they will be rolling out (they added dc rather last minute)...

Nor do they probably know just how many they will have to sell each month for a few months or more...

Gavin

scottwilcox said:
I know all about the LEAF.

Great. Can you look at the "Ask Nissan" threads and answer them ;)

They should just do it in the order of the reservations.
You have Mark Perry Lieing through his teeth like all salesmen. He will tell you that charging will be at home at night in your garage for 80% of the people. Then he will say that you can't have a LEAF until there is infrastructure in place.

No company will do a national rollout of a new car like this. Leaf is the most complicated rollout in history - bar none. BTW, infrastructure doesn't end with public chargers - it includes legal framework. They can't sell the call in a state for one or two enthusiasts who don't mind the hassle. They have invested billions and don't want bad stories in the press.

Ha...I love to call California Cali as it bugs people from California. As a native of the state, born and whole childhood ther I feel I can...

That said, I never say frisco... Sacriledge...it is San Fran or The City to me.

3rd street in Santa Monica will always be my home...even if it has been, gah, 40 years

:)

Gavin

As for the roll out, Nissan has always said it would be five states and then a slow roll out over a year. So that shouldn't be a surprise nor really a complaint. Just the way it is.

I do wish they included new Mexico though....would save me from having to flat truck my Leaf from Phoenix to Albuquerque.

Gavin

Gavin said:
As for the roll out, Nissan has always said it would be five states and then a slow roll out over a year. So that shouldn't be a surprise nor really a complaint. Just the way it is.

I do wish they included new Mexico though....would save me from having to flat truck my Leaf from Phoenix to Albuquerque.

Gavin

Ha! I was considering buying from a San Diego dealer and having the Leaf transported accross the entire country with a car transporter company, will cost about $1500-2000, probably not worth it, and probably not going to do it at this point.

400 miles is easier and cheaper than 3000 :)

I have an order in Albuquerque and in Phoenix...If the delay isn't too long, I will get the one in state...but if it is more than a couple of months, I will likely buy in AZ and transport to NM.

Gavin

IMHO what irks most reservation holders in non-rollout areas is that Nissan's promised "by June 30" information was anything but informative. They "could'a, would'a, should'a" done a much better job at reassuring customers by stating something like this in today's e-mail:
Info on your Nissan LEAF™ order timing

John Doe, thank you again for your continued commitment to driving a Nissan LEAF™. You have reserved your place in history and will be one of the first in your area to own one.

The good news is that the number of deposits to date has exceeded even our most optimistic expectations: as of today, we have received more than 15,000 reservations in the USA alone! Consequently, we are laboring to increase our initial production goals for 2011 to try and satisfy that overwhelming demand.

The not-so-good news is that, because of said demand, we have had to proportionately increase our efforts to ready the initial target areas for the rollout. What this means for you is that, because you do not live in a target area, we have had to regretfully postpone laying the proper groundwork with electricians approved by AeroVironment to schedule charger inspections at your location --despite all our best intentions. We sincerely apologize for that delay, and hope that you will understand that we are doing our utmost to make the purchase of a LEAF™ a successful and satisfying experience for everyone involved.

Rest assured that this will not impact your reservation status. We will be in touch later this summer as additional information becomes available. In the interim, we will continue to keep you updated with all developments as they occur.

If you have any questions, just call 877-NO-GAS-EV, join the LEAF live chat or e-mail us.
Nissan didn't say this, but simply sidestepped the issue of having fallen short with their promise. If they want to retain the support and loyalty of their Leaf customers, they need to be more open and transparent when fulfilling such promises --and when failing to do so.

I feel your frustration, Yanquentino, but it wouldn't be right for Nissan to say that other areas would be delayed or that infrastructure plans have slipped because they aren't. They've done the legwork in areas, permitting is changing or has changed, and cities continue to move toward the EV-Ready goal.

I'm not in an initial roll-out area and cannot participate in the EV Project, yet I received three email messages from Nissan and one from ECOtality in June, including the promised update on the 30th.

The pieces will fall into place...or they won't. I'm betting on 'will'...

Actually that would have been a great email...

I hope to hear more from Nissan soon.

But over the last 2 and a half years I've learned to be patient :)

EV start up always seems to have some delays and issues...heck regular gas cars often have start up delays and issues. At least the LEAF doesn't appear to be vaporware like so many others....

Gavin

My goodness there seems to be a lot of impatient people who don't seem to understand this is possibly a major paradigm shift in transportation. My expectation always has been that there were going to be unknowns and issues with this rollout - that's the price paid (along with the $99) for being one of the first. If you didn't anticipate that or can't accept it I would recommend contacting Nissan and requesting a refund of your $99. You might be less frustrated by waiting until the EV concept is more mass market.

WaunaLeaf said:
My goodness there seems to be a lot of impatient people who don't seem to understand this is possibly a major paradigm shift in transportation. My expectation always has been that there were going to be unknowns and issues with this rollout - that's the price paid (along with the $99) for being one of the first. If you didn't anticipate that or can't accept it I would recommend contacting Nissan and requesting a refund of your $99. You might be less frustrated by waiting until the EV concept is more mass market.

A lot of folks here came over from the Aptera twilight zone and were hoping with a big company it would be different and would actually see cars get delivered. Any indication dates are being missed raises concern there are problems and this isn't happening, or at least isn't happening close to the anticipated time frame.

AndyH said:
it wouldn't be right for Nissan to say that other areas would be delayed or that infrastructure plans have slipped because they aren't.
Well, that's a relief! It sounds like you have insider information for all areas. Please pass along what you know about the infrastructure plans for southern Nevada/Utah.
AndyH said:
I received three email messages from Nissan and one from ECOtality in June, including the promised update on the 30th.
Nice!!! I sure wish I had.

All I know is that, after I made my reservation, Nissan told me...
Nissan said:
we will be in touch by June 30 with more details on your spot and how to begin preparing your home for your new car
and...
Nissan said:
we will be in touch by June 30 to provide you with further instructions and help you get even closer to driving emissions-free.
Yet the last-minute e-mail they sent on June 30 only stated...
Nissan said:
we are still finalizing some details of the order process, and we will be in touch later this summer with additional information on your order timing.
In other words, NO "details on my spot," NOR "how to begin preparing" my home. NO "further instructions." Just a notice that I won't receive that "additional information" until "later this summer." And NO explanation for not fulfilling their word --let alone an apology.

AndyH: Maybe you're right that Nissan's infrastructure plans haven't "slipped," so that's not the explanation. Fine. Just fill in my "alternative" e-mail with whatever reason you feel is the correct one. My point was NOT to specify the real problem --whatever it might be-- but to purport that Nissan "could'a, would'a, should'a" been more forthcoming --and apologetic-- for NOT providing the "details" and "instructions" originally stated.

WaunaLeaf: Please don't misunderstand me. I likewise always expected that "there were going to be unknowns and issues with this rollout." Indeed, I would have BET on it! Again, what I am saying is that Nissan could have done a better job at openly addressing the "unknowns and issues" that have undermined their own earlier statements to customers. Silence is not that golden. Certainly not if you want to retain people's trust. As LTLFTcomposite points out, just ask the EV advocates who have been trusting Aptera, ZENN, or EEStor for years now.

Yanquetino said:
AndyH said:
it wouldn't be right for Nissan to say that other areas would be delayed or that infrastructure plans have slipped because they aren't.
Well, that's a relief! It sounds like you have insider information for all areas. Please pass along what you know about the infrastructure plans for southern Nevada/Utah.
AndyH said:
I received three email messages from Nissan and one from ECOtality in June, including the promised update on the 30th.
Nice!!! I sure wish I had.

All I know is that, after I made my reservation, Nissan told me...
Nissan said:
we will be in touch by June 30 with more details on your spot and how to begin preparing your home for your new car
and...
Nissan said:
we will be in touch by June 30 to provide you with further instructions and help you get even closer to driving emissions-free.
Yet the last-minute e-mail they sent on June 30 only stated...

Yanqu
Nissan said:
we are still finalizing some details of the order process, and we will be in touch later this summer with additional information on your order timing.
In other words, NO "details on my spot," NOR "how to begin preparing" my home. NO "further instructions." Just a notice that I won't receive that "additional information" until "later this summer." And NO explanation for not fulfilling their word --let alone an apology.

AndyH: Maybe you're right that Nissan's infrastructure plans haven't "slipped," so that's not the explanation. Fine. Just fill in my "alternative" e-mail with whatever reason you feel is the correct one. My point was NOT to specify the real problem --whatever it might be-- but to purport that Nissan "could'a, would'a, should'a" been more forthcoming --and apologetic-- for NOT providing the "details" and "instructions" originally stated.

WaunaLeaf: Please don't misunderstand me. I likewise always expected that "there were going to be unknowns and issues with this rollout." Indeed, I would have BET on it! Again, what I am saying is that Nissan could have done a better job at openly addressing the "unknowns and issues" that have undermined their own earlier statements to customers. Silence is not that golden. Certainly not if you want to retain people's trust. As LTLFTcomposite points out, just ask the EV advocates who have been trusting Aptera, ZENN, or EEStor for years now.

Yanquetino,
I think your characterization of the e-mail is correct. I do not expect perfection. I do expect people to say that they had some unanticipated issues and they are working to resolve them. Clearly, Nissan fell short on SOMETHING, we just do not know WHAT.

I agree with your whole post...the email could have been better...and I too would have bet that there would have been issues and possibly delays.

That said, infrastructure plans for southern Nevada/Utah? Heck is there any infrastructure in southern nevada/utah now? I thought that was all area 51 and coyote droppings :)

Gavin

Gavin said:
I agree with your whole post...the email could have been better...and I too would have bet that there would have been issues and possibly delays.

That said, infrastructure plans for southern Nevada/Utah? Heck is there any infrastructure in southern nevada/utah now? I thought that was all area 51 and coyote droppings :)

Gavin
:D Yup. And snakes, jack-rabbits, sagebrush, and cacti.

Yanquetino said:
Gavin said:

Gavin
:D Yup. And snakes, jack-rabbits, sagebrush, and cacti.
Jack-rabbit fails to hear silent EV ... LEAFs run over jack-rabbits ... Jack-rabbit is added to the Endangered Species List :lol:

May be ... Nissan has decided they need to give test drives before starting the ordering process (which locks us in), yes ? YES! :p

Naturally that takes some major logistics to work out, causing the delay ?

Back