Keep 2011 vs. buy 2015?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdemar

Despite my original intention to push my 2011 as far as possible current incentives make me scratch my head if I should just get a 2015 instead. Unless I can't get a better deal directly I have access to VPP pricing, and given $10k in Nissan rebates I can find myself in a 2015 SV for about $15,000 sales tax including. Considering I can sell my 2011 privately for $6k (wishful thinking, I know) my out of pocket expense will be $9k, so given a 3 year horizon when the next gen EVs are available my cost of ownership will be about the same for the crippled 2011 or a 2015 should I decide to sell either at that time, but I will enjoy extra 30 miles of range, factory warranty, and hopefully a more robust battery. Am I missing anything? Basically looking for a reason to convince myself I should keep the 2011 for 3 more years.

$3000 a year to be able to drive a car that would make your commute easier seems like a no brainer. The new warranty doesn't really matter imo, I've never had a warranty repair.
Will the dealer give you a decent trade in?
Go for it.

For an out of pocket expense of $5,500 couldn't you get the bulk of the benefit with a replacement lizard battery and keep $3,500 in your pocket for the down payment on a next-gen EV?

mtndrew1 said:
For an out of pocket expense of $5,500 couldn't you get the bulk of the benefit with a replacement lizard battery and keep $3,500 in your pocket for the down payment on a next-gen EV?

Great point.

mtndrew1 said:

I don't need a new battery at the moment, I estimate I can limp for 3 more years without replacement with mild inconveniences, but I will likely be looking to sell the Leaf then, figuring I'll be able to get $2,000 at most for it at that time. This is likely about the same amount I will end up with if I get a 2015 for $9k out of pocket now and also sell it in 3 years. 2015 has useful improvements such as B mode, a 6.6kW L2 charger, and a more efficient heater, plus a peace of mind for any unexpected breakdowns.

Stanton said:
Another vote for keep and replace the battery pack (if/when needed).

Please elaborate why you think it is better. Given I can actually get the price I have in mind I see not much of a compelling reason to keep the 2011 if I'm getting a next gen EV in 3 years even if the bottom line is the only consideration.

Valdemar said:
Stanton said:
Another vote for keep and replace the battery pack (if/when needed).

Please elaborate why you think it is better. Given I can actually get the price I have in mind I see not much of a compelling reason to keep the 2011 if I'm getting a next gen EV in 3 years even if the bottom line is the only consideration.

$6k (replacement pack) vs $9k (your number--even though you won't get $6k for the car). All you're giving up is faster charging (6.6 kW) and maybe some cold weather/heater range (you didn't say this was an issue). Save for the battery pack (a big issue that can be dealt with under warranty for many), these 2011/2012 Leafs seem to be bullet-proof.

1. Keep the 2011 for 3 more years and then sell
Expenses, considering nothing breaks:
$300 - Maintenance (brake fluid flush, reduction gear oil replacement, 2 paid battery checks)
$1,000 - public charging fees to cope with the reduced range
Sell for $1,000 to $2,000 with 140,000 miles on the odometer, walk away with -$300 to $700 cash.

2. Buy a 2015 cost $15k, sell the 2011 for $5k, netting $10k out of pocket expense to start with, sell the 2015 in 3 years for $7k with 60,000 miles, walk away with -$3,000 cash.

So the cost difference will be about $3,000, or less if 2015s hold their value better (unlikely). A major failure like a fried OBC or a brake module malfunction on the 2011 will easily make a 2015 purchase a better choice. Yes, 2011s were super reliable up until now, but we don't know how wide the bathtub curve is.

Well, the resolution to this dilemma may be simple. I called around and not exactly getting $10k off VPP price , or even $10k off MSRP for that matter.

Back