Kona EV 2024

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

https://electrek.co/2023/04/05/2024-hyundai-kona-electric-debuts-in-with-more-range-and-style/

In many ways it looks and reads like a Bolt EUV, except the 10% - 80% SoC DC charging is almost twice as fast. The Kona even has skinny seats so that debilitated, fat Americans have something to whine about.

The price will have to be sub $30k in the US to compete without the EV tax credit

I've been thinking about the Kona, and all the other EVs that are not eligible for the federal EV tax credit when purchased outright. These EVs are apparently eligible for the credit when leased.

That is an unintended consequence of how the law was written, and it sure makes a mess of things. I presume manufacturers will eventually adapt as they see fit, and some will use the lease loophole to pass on the credit to those consumers who want to buy the car. It *could* work out for the best if it means that lower income people will be eligible for the full EV credit.

Imagine a 6 year lease, and a residual of $100.

No wonder the name Jose Munoz looked familiar. He came from Nissan: https://www.reuters.com/article/hyundai-motor-jos-muoz/hyundai-motor-names-former-nissan-executive-jose-munoz-as-coo-idUSL3N22047D.

As for the otherwise non-qualifying vehicles due to "IRA" being eligible for $7500 Federal tax credit when leased, this idea was floated around a bunch on places like chevybolt.org. Seems like the loophole might be true judging by over coverage of this (I haven't researched deeply). Would be good news if the automakers also pass along the savings. I don't qualify for the $7500 Federal tax credit any more due to the new income cap.

cwerdna said:
Would be good news if the automakers also pass along the savings.

I use this language too, although it is an oxymoron.
China got it right -- they give the money direct to the manufacturers. After all, it is a given that the manufacturers set the price with the subsidy in mind. The only way the subsidy reduces the car price is through competition. For that reason alone, it is a poor idea to restrict the subsidy to a small handful of EV manufacturers.

So my latest Hertz rental was a Kona electric. This nearly completes the Hertz ev tour (Niro, M3, and Bolt prior). Of.the 4 rentals, that was head and shoulders the most efficient of the EVs I have rented. My average was 5.3 miles/kWh over the few days. Local driving saw efficiency over 6 a few times. Not too shabby. The 300 mile shown at full charge when I picked up up held for the miles I put on it. I was trying to drive eco friendly. I also finally figured out how.to best use the paddles for stopping.

I.do like the simplicity of the platform. I also.really liked the 0 regen mode, which I wish the Leaf had. The Leaf has better blended regen/braking, but I couldn't help.but enjoying the extra few kWh on tap. Tires were only at 37psi, so guessing at 42, I could have matched my.Leaf averages.

Size for a family would be crampt, but fine for a couple riders.

Overall efficiency 5.3 for 75-80F days in Philly this week. (My summer Leaf Plus average is ~5.7ish)

Back