L1 Charging Better for LEAF Batteries???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
garygid said:
My trip back from the dealer will be about 65 fast freeway miles, with a few hills.
Boy, wouldn't that be a bummer if you had to do the last three miles in turtle mode! :eek:

Not that I think it is likely to happen. But if I were doing that I think I'd hold the freeway speed down to 70 for that first trip. (My drive from the dealer will be less than 30 miles, so I might be tempted to push it, and do some joy riding on the side.)

I wonder who's got the shortest drive home from their delivering dealer? I'll begin the competition with 8.5 miles.

Yes, from Fontana, if I get the CA $5000 reserved that AM, and ... a battery capacity warranty, etc. Too soon to tell. Other owner's experiences will be helpful in deciding.

I will probably drive up with a friend, and inspect, test, and drive "my" LEAF, and then either orphan it, or sign the papers and drive it home.

Boomer23 said:
I wonder who's got the shortest drive home from their delivering dealer? I'll begin the competition with 8.5 miles.
Although it's about 14 miles home, my dealer is less than 0.5 miles from my office. There's a different LEAF certified dealer less than 3 miles from my house, but I think it'll be more convenient to work with the dealer right down the street from the office.

I am 65 miles from Fontana.

But, just 4 miles from my closest dealer.
They only offered $500 when I ordered, but have "improved" lately.

The 2nd closest, at about 9 miles, did not want to "deal".

My PD in Chico is about 86 miles from my home. I have a friend who lives in Yuba City, about 45 miles from my place. I am planning to spend few hours with him when I get the delivery. I may also explore the possibility of getting it delivered to me. I know of some dealers in South Cal, who are willing to do that. I have not discussed this option with my PD.

Harvinder

I am 102 miles from Fontana. Car will be flatbed to my house. Will be getting my EVSE before Xmass (electrician said I was in the group of 1st 5 in San diego). Blink not available, so may be getting a different one. Expect early January delivery (still slight chance for December?)

vkruger said:
I am 102 miles from Fontana. Car will be flatbed to my house. Will be getting my EVSE before Xmass (electrician said I was in the group of 1st 5 in San diego). Blink not available, so may be getting a different one. Expect early January delivery (still slight chance for December?)
You should pick it up ! ZeroEmissions. Make it an adventure ... drive slower ... learn the "limits". And just in general, you'll feel much better in the future, rather than having to admit 102 miles was too much for your LEAFs "first drive". Seriously. I strongly encourage you to think about it. The LEAF will be able to handle it; you can make it work. Once you get your thirsty baby home ... plug it right in :p

Right, check with a few dealerships along the route home, drive 65 to stay alive on the freeway, and re-charge for 1 to 2 hours (if needed) while showing off your new LEAF to an appreciative dealer. Good adventure, and "sure" to work!

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Practice my regen!
Well - ideally if you can avoid regen and only glide instead that'd be better - but you knew that already. :p
Well that top but the real reason is that driving a silent car on the frreeway does not make an impact on surrounding drivers. Taking off silently from a light does. I want to do it when the highest amount of pedrestrians will be out!!

In CA, sometimes there are no surface street alternatives.
When there are surface streets, it is often 3x to 5x the travel time.

Traveling in 3 to 5 lanes of traffic, with exiting and merging traffic every half to one mile (each 30 to 60 seconds), usually "heavy" traffic, often two lanes of truck traffic, and speeds of 65 to 75 mph typical. There is almost always somebody "trying to get their car into your trunk". At any moment, even a minor accident can introduce a 30 to 60 minute backup and delay in a one-hour trip.

Much different than a drive in the country.

So to re-visit the original topic... is everyone in agreement that L2 charging does not 'stress' the battery any more than L1? We really gain nothing by doing the L1 trickle charging? My dealer implied that L1 would help extend the life of the battery over L2. It seems that doing the 80% setting will be better for the battery (versus the 100%), and also waiting for the battery to drop a bit before charging again (don't charge if say the battery is still at 70% charge?) will help extend the life of the battery? But L1 vs L2 doesn't make any difference?

There are some tips in the manual (And they recommend L2.. so it can't be bad for the battery) but I was hoping we could collect our best battery tips to extend our batteries useful life. I know for my cell phone, it seems to be better to charge it every other night if I can (I'm on the original battery and it's 3.5 years old).

thanks,
Peter

Back