L2 EVSE Installation testing ???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an interesting idea, and my guess is that something like this will eventually come out. Couldn't this even just be just an adapter that sends the signal needed and gives you good contact points to plug a volt meter into? IF they became popular then someone will eventually combine the two and put some idiot lights on it so it can give you a "Pass" or "Fail" light.

Will they be popular? Probably not. I don't currently test my gasoline to ensure there is no water in it or that it is the right octane or anything else. I just assume it is right and I will do the same with my Leaf. But just because most of us have no interest in one does not mean one won't be made.

JasonT said:
This is an interesting idea, and my guess is that something like this will eventually come out. Couldn't this even just be just an adapter that sends the signal needed and gives you good contact points to plug a volt meter into? IF they became popular then someone will eventually combine the two and put some idiot lights on it so it can give you a "Pass" or "Fail" light.

Will they be popular? Probably not. I don't currently test my gasoline to ensure there is no water in it or that it is the right octane or anything else. I just assume it is right and I will do the same with my Leaf. But just because most of us have no interest in one does not mean one won't be made.

The car will let you know if there is no supplied power by the EVSE, test concluded. What more would anyone need to know? Good luck building a UL approved product for this at a remotely affordable price. There is no benefit other than appeasing paranoia.

Here's your off-the shelf tester if you really, really want one:

• Buy one of these J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapters discussed here from modular EV power for $275.
  • Buy multimeter - can get one for as little as $10.
  • Set multimeter to read 240V AC.
  • Carefully insert probes into NEMA 14-50 adapter and check for voltage.
  • Or if you have an electric dryer and your EVSE supplies 30A+, plug it into the NEMA 14-50 adapter and see if it still works instead of using a multimeter.

Proceed at your own risk!

EVDRIVER said:
The car will let you know if there is no supplied power by the EVSE, test concluded. What more would anyone need to know? Good luck building a UL approved product for this at a remotely affordable price. There is no benefit other than appeasing paranoia.
Again, I have no interest in one and I feel like it's a little silly, but I don't know why you're against even its existance. I decided to google a little bit, and found out there are test kits to test gasoline. Admittedly those are WAY cheaper than what we're talking about here, but it does exist. I didn't know this was even a product, and I personally would never use it - but clearly there is a market out there for it. The same people that are are this worried about their gasoline might have similar concerns about their electricity.

And I'm just using gasoline as an example, since we're talking about cars and it just seemed to work. I'm not saying that the two concerns are equivalent, I'm just trying to demonstrate the issue from another direction.

JasonT said:
The same people that are are this worried about their gasoline might have similar concerns about their electricity.
Now there's an idea. What do you want to bet that ten years from now some huckster on late-night TV will be selling a product that connects between your car and the EVSE and promises to filter all the contaminants out of the electricity. :lol:

planet4ever said:
Now there's an idea. What do you want to bet that ten years from now some huckster on late-night TV will be selling a product that connects between your car and the EVSE and promises to filter all the contaminants out of the electricity. :lol:
Don't worry - I'm sure Monster cable will have something for you soon!

Or some special filtering caps that promise to fix your power factor problems and reduce your charging bill!

JasonT said:
EVDRIVER said:
Again, I have no interest in one and I feel like it's a little silly, but I don't know why you're against even its existance. I decided to google a little bit, and found out there are test kits to test gasoline. Admittedly those are WAY cheaper than what we're talking about here, but it does exist. I didn't know this was even a product, and I personally would never use it - but clearly there is a market out there for it. The same people that are are this worried about their gasoline might have similar concerns about their electricity.

And I'm just using gasoline as an example, since we're talking about cars and it just seemed to work. I'm not saying that the two concerns are equivalent, I'm just trying to demonstrate the issue from another direction.

People test gasoline for very different reasons, there is no point to test an EVSE, it will work or not, you don't get bad power like bad gas, the EVSE regulates that. I'm not against it. I'm just saying that it's pointless and a waste of money. Anyone that understands how an EVSE works knows this would just be a gimmick. What will it tell you of any value that the car will not when you plug it in? What is one worthwhile benefit of such a product? Quenching FUD.\

It's not like someone is going to find a HV line and tap it into an EVSE and then it is going to make it past the internal protection and damage the car. There are also people who think coiling your charge cable will start a fire. I really might make some of these and sell them with a protection warranty, classic.

planet4ever said:
JasonT said:
The same people that are are this worried about their gasoline might have similar concerns about their electricity.
Sort of like those power conditioners made for home theater and high-end audio installations... If you're concerned, you could buy a power conditioner at Best Buy and use it with the 120 VAC trickle charge cable.

tps said:
planet4ever said:
JasonT said:
Sort of like those power conditioners made for home theater and high-end audio installations... If you're concerned, you could buy a power conditioner at Best Buy and use it with the 120 VAC trickle charge cable.

Those are designs to reduce noise, they also limit current as a result and it would only add issues not benefits.

Back