Lamo Leaf driver doing 50 mph in 2nd lane in heavy traffic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcanl

First off, I'm not an EV/HEV/CNG basher, I'm on my 2nd Prius and keep an eye on the PHEV/EV state of affairs.

I saw a pretty bad thing yesterday at 5:30pm, 880 South in SF Bay Area, rush hour traffic. I just hopped on the freeway to find a nice Black Leaf in the 2nd lane from right. I don't think it had dealer plates. IOW, not on its first trip home.

To the point - the i$%^t was maintaining 50 MPH in the lane (65 speed limit). I'm not BSing, not bashing. I was doing 53 ahead of him in slow lane and could not slow down enough to get it to catch up. Drivers were pulling out from behind it left and right.

I hope this is not common with Leaf, BUT this type of driving will only solidify negative attitudes. I think this driver could have been cited for impeding traffic, it was pretty bad.

I haven't seen another Leaf on freeway driving like that and hope I don't again. It was one of the worst examples of freeway driving I can recall.

I disagree with the other topic linked here, but agree with the op. Slower, safer, more conservative driving is a good thing overall, but not when you're creating a hazard or impeding traffic. I'm not averse to doing 5 under the speed limit - but keep it to the slow lane, and if traffic is thick you need to flow with it for safety and consideration, image of the car notwithstanding.

+1 to the OP.

I haven't seen it as much lately, but I've driven by more than one Leaf (ironically in my Leaf) that was doing about 50mph on the highway w/ a line of cars behind it. Even when it's in the right lane it still causes a problem when a busy exit is coming up and people need to get to the right to get off.

This is not presenting a good image and will cause people who are still apprehensive about EVs to consider this as another poor characteristic of the car when in fact is it completely a result of the driver. If you choose to do this, do not do this during the morning or evening commute where it will inconvenience others.

IBELEAF said:
I am projecting quite the opposite image of Leaf "driving" to counterbalance these type of drivers :lol:
me too! :) though I have driven 55 MPH on the slow right lane on a few occasions to extend range (needed).

Should have been in the right lane, no question. I don't see a problem down to about 55mph in the right lane; that's a common enough speed for trucks and usually you can slot in behind one to absolve yourself of the "blame". :lol: Slower than that and you really should be finding a non-freeway route, imho.

IBELEAF said:
I am projecting quite the opposite image of Leaf "driving" to counterbalance these type of drivers :lol:
Hahaha.. Me too. Since my commute is so short I have no qualms about getting in the far left lane and doing 85 or 90 mph. However, on the rare occasion I am travelling far, I will find something big and slow and get behind it. Or better yet, just stay on side streets when possible.

Obviously not this particular "offender", but nonetheless conveys the image we are talking about:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrrPr3H8LU[/youtube]

adric22 said:
IBELEAF said:
Hahaha.. Me too. Since my commute is so short I have no qualms about getting in the far left lane and doing 85 or 90 mph. However, on the rare occasion I am travelling far, I will find something big and slow and get behind it. Or better yet, just stay on side streets when possible.

Amen! Drive it like you stole it!

The other day I came up behind a 7-series loafing along doing 80 in the left lane. I thought I might have to flash the lights, but he got the idea and moved over; I scooted past effortlessly at 91 with Mozart in the background. If you ask me the ultimate driving experience is a matter of opinion. :lol:

Personally, I tried driving at the speed limit on a 405 on light traffic days with every single car passing me. It just doesn't feel comfortable even in the right lane. I would much rather take the side streets if I had to conserve range.

lpickup said:
Obviously not this particular "offender", but nonetheless conveys the image we are talking about:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrrPr3H8LU[/youtube]

While I agree with the OP about doing 50 in lane2 of a freeway, the image that the video conveys to me is that the guy following is a jerk. There was ample opportunity to pass. So pass. Who cares.

I understand the OP's frustration but seriously, what are we supposed to do about this? Spread the word at meetups? Lots of people drive this way (in every model of car, esp. Priuses ;) ) and they will continue to do so. A lot of time out of spite. All you can do to be safe is to drive defensively and steer clear of these types of drivers. I, on the other hand, will be a red blur whipping past you. :lol:

The highway through Tucson is I-10, which is flanked by frontage roads. So I never need to get on the highway and can tool along the frontage roads. Everyone wants to get on I-10 to do 70 so the frontage roads never have traffic, pretty ideal. The only problem is when I need to make a left turn as the exit ramp is between me and my desired left and the cars are doing 70 or so down the long exit ramp. I have to be careful in these circumstances.

I don't have a problem with people doing the minimum legal speed on the highway, as long as they are respectful of others and keep right. But I never seem to have that problem- most cars tend to move over for me when they see a Go Rhino push bar and Crown Victoria headlights in their rear view mirror. Not sure why, it's very strange (???). ;)

Driving back home Chevy pickup was doing 25 mph on the single line road with 45mph speed limit. No video, no cursing, I assumed he had a reason for doing so. A bit of tolerance is always helpful

EdmondLeaf said:
Driving back home Chevy pickup was doing 25 mph on the single line road with 45mph speed limit. No video, no cursing, I assumed he had a reason for doing so. A bit of tolerance is always helpful

Ohh, I don't think I would dare to curse someone in a Chevy pickup while driving Leaf, never know what surprise he might have under the seat :)

Perhaps I should point a camera out my back window when I am driving 30 in a 25. You would see people tailgating and weaving back and forth as we approached a red light. I'll bet for every slow Leaf, there are at least 10 people who are impatient when you only exceed the speed limit by a little bit.

Back