Lamo Leaf driver doing 50 mph in 2nd lane in heavy traffic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OhmPah said:
Perhaps I should point a camera out my back window when I am driving 30 in a 25. You would see people tailgating and weaving back and forth as we approached a red light. I'll bet for every slow Leaf, there are at least 10 people who are impatient when you only exceed the speed limit by a little bit.

Yep.

Had the Starman spent more time here he would have learned more than just the meanings of red/yellow/green lights in America.

Speed LIMIT = ABSOLUTE MINIMUM acceptable speed (but you better have a really good excuse)
Speed Limit + 5 is the RESPONSIBLE speed limit for old people and pregnant women
Speed Limit + 10 is the NORMAL speed limit
Speed Limit + 15 for young or otherwise important people
and anything more than 15 miles above the speed limit gives you the undisputed RIGHT OF WAY.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEFYCaKakE[/youtube]

I normally drive about 60 on freeways (speed limit 65 to 70). I've been doing that for the last year to extend my LEAF range, but I did exactly the same thing for several years before that to save gasoline. Whenever I am driving, but especially when I am below the speed limit, I drive in the rightmost lane practical. That usually means the far right lane except to pass a truck or shift temporarily to allow traffic to merge as it enters the freeway.

I drive 55 when we are making the 85 mile trip to our granddaughter's house. I have, a couple of times, slowed to 50 near the end of the freeway segments of those trips, if I felt I had to. (Part of the trip is on slower roads.) But those trips are never made during rush hour.

However, I feel compelled to point out that no matter how slow you are traveling on most California freeways, the Highway Patrol is not going to give you a ticket for obstructing traffic so long as you are in the far right lane. I don't know about other states, but there is no minimum freeway speed in California unless it is posted like the maximum speed. And I haven't seen many freeways with a minimum speed posted.

Ray

Pfffff... You scarred me. I almost tough it was me. Only after I read the post and found it was not my color and not the same time I was on 880. But in my case, I was in the slowest lane all the time, not during rush hour and I had a excuse: I was doing my first attempt (failed) to do 100 miles on a single charge.

Nubo said:
lpickup said:
Obviously not this particular "offender", but nonetheless conveys the image we are talking about:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrrPr3H8LU[/youtube]

While I agree with the OP about doing 50 in lane2 of a freeway, the image that the video conveys to me is that the guy following is a jerk. There was ample opportunity to pass. So pass. Who cares.

I don't think most people like to overtake on suburban roads just to get home. Yeah, the guy is pretty overstressed, but 35 in a 45 might qualify as impeding traffic if a line of cars is stacked up behind.

malloryk said:
I understand the OP's frustration but seriously, what are we supposed to do about this? Spread the word at meetups? Lots of people drive this way (in every model of car, esp. Priuses ;) ) and they will continue to do so. A lot of time out of spite. All you can do to be safe is to drive defensively and steer clear of these types of drivers. I, on the other hand, will be a red blur whipping past you. :lol:

I hear ya and I too thought there's not much we can do on a forum.

I go with the flow of traffic. Seeing people changing lanes left and right to get around a car is a recipe for an accident.

wcanl said:
I don't think most people like to overtake on suburban roads just to get home. Yeah, the guy is pretty overstressed, but 35 in a 45 might qualify as impeding traffic if a line of cars is stacked up behind.

With this topic I completely cured myself from being nice guy and watch for cars behind me to check if I am not slowing down anyone while driving at speed limit. On the way home I was driving for a mile behind Chevy pickup driving 25 in 45 zone. I guess because pickup is much bigger and big ICE, he was just minding his business and not impending anything. Other than that he wasn't "i$%^t " because like someone suggested he may have something in his truck. I love people like over stress video guy, waiting together with me at the red light or being pull over for speeding. I am not a crusader to force people to buy Leaf or other EV and do not believe I will ever convince over stress guy to buy EV. How we know that person driving 2nd line did not have anxiety to switch line or wanted to switch line but was afraid. I carpool with older guy he won't switch line because is afraid that someone will hit him.

I guess we should not judge if we do not know all the facts.

Nubo said:
<snip>

Speed LIMIT = ABSOLUTE MINIMUM acceptable speed (but you better have a really good excuse)
Speed Limit + 5 is the RESPONSIBLE speed limit for old people and pregnant women
Speed Limit + 10 is the NORMAL speed limit
Speed Limit + 15 for young or otherwise important people
and anything more than 15 miles above the speed limit gives you the undisputed RIGHT OF WAY.

Haha. That sounds about how the general public thinks. Although they are 100% wrong in thinking that Speed LIMIT = Minimum Speed

If the speed limit on the interstate/highway is 65, it is 100% acceptable for someone to be in the far right lane doing 55, no matter how many cars are "impatient" behind them. That is what the left lanes are for: passing.

Then some people quote the "adjust your speed to the flow of traffic" suggestion, as if they don't realize the people going 80 in a 65 are 1) breaking the law 2) ALSO not following the suggestions of adjusting their speed to the drivers LEGALLY going 55-65. The suggestion goes both ways, but it never means it is okay to break the speed limit.

IBELEAF said:
I am projecting quite the opposite image of Leaf "driving" to counterbalance these type of drivers :lol:

Yeah, me too .. my bumper stickers should read "my other car is a Porsche 928" and "i'd rather be flying my 20mm chain gun & Huey Cobra"

Then, on the other hand, I do like that 4.5 average economy figure.

Dave

A bit ago, I checked the Georgia Code looking for anything in regards to the appropriate use of the traveling lanes... no avail...

Here, any vehicle can travel on any lane as slow as they want (above a posted minimum speed); a vehicle is only considered to be impending the traffic if it is traveling on the left-most lane and it has been made aware by a vehicle wanting to travel at a higher speed. So, here, going slow on any other lane that the left one is ok... *sigh*

TNleaf said:
If the speed limit on the interstate/highway is 65, it is 100% acceptable for someone to be in the far right lane doing 55, no matter how many cars are "impatient" behind them.

I disagree with your statement as it all depends on situation and conditions, but for the most part I wouldn't say it should be acceptable.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RCW 46.61.425
Minimum speed regulation — Passing slow moving vehicle.

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RCW 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.

(2) Whenever the secretary of transportation or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway unreasonably impede the normal movement of traffic, the secretary or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit thereat which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected. No person shall drive a vehicle slower than such minimum speed limit except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

IBELEAF said:
TNleaf said:
If the speed limit on the interstate/highway is 65, it is 100% acceptable for someone to be in the far right lane doing 55, no matter how many cars are "impatient" behind them.

I disagree with your statement as it all depends on situation and conditions, but for the most part I wouldn't say it should be acceptable.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RCW 46.61.425
Minimum speed regulation — Passing slow moving vehicle.

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RCW 46.61.120 on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.

(2) Whenever the secretary of transportation or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway unreasonably impede the normal movement of traffic, the secretary or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit thereat which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected. No person shall drive a vehicle slower than such minimum speed limit except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

So you think that in a 65mph zone, the slowest you can drive is 65mph. And you're on your own if you go 66mph and get a ticket?

That's not how it works, nor is that the purpose of the RCW that you have posted. Besides "as the impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic" is up for interpretation. In the same way if you got a ticket for going 66 in a 65, you could probably argue your way out of a ticket. In the same way someone going 55 in a 65 in the far right lane would be able to argue that they are not impeding the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

IBELEAF, your quote does not support your argument; it refers to passing a slow moving vehicle that travels at a speed lower than the posted limit.

Any vehicle can travel at any speed between the minimum and the maximum and be overtaken by another where permitted. Some codes allow for a provision where passing another vehicle that travels too slow on a road with only one lane on each direction (like a tractor mowing the side of the road) is allowed if reasonable caution is taken not to interfere with the vehicles traveling on the other direction.

I don't think many LEAFers travel excessively slow on roads where the posted limit is 45 or below; and usually, above that, there is more than one lane on each direction or at least overtaking sections (by the AASHTO highway design code) just a few miles from each other.

I drive 5 to 10 mph faster than the speed limit down to work from the foothills, so I have to drive 5- to 10 mph slower than the speed limit back home to balance out my average speed to the speed limit. :lol: At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Like I said, it all depends on traffic conditions and also depends on where you drive, but on freeways to stay safe your speed should be with a flow of traffic, so if the speed limit 65 and traffic goes 70 then going 55 is not recommended.

IBELEAF said:
(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law ...

That does not suggest that 55mph is illegal. Just because the majority of drivers are speeding does not give excessive speed a legal standing as "the norm" to which others must adhere. Nor does it suggest that one must maintain speed at the limit. I'd be hard pressed to view 55mph as "unreasonable" rate of travel either.

However, I could see this being used to warn or cite a driver at 55 in a 65 who is not in the rightmost lane when practicable. Otherwise, they ARE likely creating an unnecessary (and therefore unreasonable) hindrance.

IBELEAF said:
Like I said, it all depends on traffic conditions and also depends on where you drive, but on freeways to stay safe your speed should be with a flow of traffic, so if the speed limit 65 and traffic goes 70 then going 55 is not recommended.

I'd rather not start up a traffic flow theory discussion, but your argument above goes both ways.

If the speed limit is 65, and traffic is going 70, then you already have a flaw. There WILL be people going the speed limit 65, so the people going 70 "should" adjust their speeds as well. Obviously they do not, hence we have speeders. I understand your argument that going 55 is not recommended in those cases, although there is not a solid answer as to which is "safer." (although the answer of which is illegal is more clear, 70 > 65)

TNleaf said:
Then some people quote the "adjust your speed to the flow of traffic" suggestion, as if they don't realize the people going 80 in a 65 are 1) breaking the law 2) ALSO not following the suggestions of adjusting their speed to the drivers LEGALLY going 55-65. The suggestion goes both ways, but it never means it is okay to break the speed limit.

Yeah, I said, that, and I'll stick by it. Sorry, but I'd much rather avoid getting rear ended than avoid a ticket, and honestly, if you're going slightly below the flow of traffic your chances of getting a speeding ticket for that alone might be slightly above zero, but not much. If the speed limit is 65 and traffic is doing 80, doing 55 is downright dangerous. I'm not advocating 80, but 70-75 is enough to keep you safe from both tickets and rear-endings.

Back