Latest News on Real World Range???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
I'll write more about this in a dedicated post, but Malcolm and I just got back home in San Diego from picking up our Leafs in Fontana. It is a 110 mile trip home, and 95% freeway driving.

Randy

Congrats to Randy and Malcolm on your new cars and on the bold adventure of the long drive home! Your result makes me feel a whole lot better than I did 12 hours ago, as we were seeing some less than inspiring range behavior during/after our pickup yesterday.

We first got in the nominally fully charged car for a shakedown midday and it showed 97 miles of range in D, 106 in Eco before we moved. The car had 10 miles total on it at that point. We did about a 4.5 mile loop with 3 people in the car, a bit of climbing and some freeway, I was more or less trying to emulate the modest hypermile style I use in our hybrid, but even so the range dropped rapidly. I went in and out of Eco a few times. At the end of that short trip I believe the range was at 84 in D, 90 in Eco. I did find myself rapidly up to 73mph on the short freeway stretch - the car is very smooth and will require some attention to avoid overcooking the speed at the expense of mileage - but that was only for a couple of seconds. The M/KwH display was at 2.0 after the drive and I didn't know if that was just for the one trip or for the whole 15 miles - I hoped the latter. We returned in the evening to finish up our briefing and take final delivery. At that point the car had been topped up, but showed 87 in D. I drove home, 10 miles of mostly freeway, all Eco, controlled speed, a gradual uphill to about 300 feet elevation over about 5 miles, then a drop back to sea level with a slight regen opportunity, a final 1 kilometer climb again to about 350 feet, then a flat kilometer to home. On arrival, the range was down to 60 in D. Yikes. 27 miles gone from an already "discounted" 87, after only 10 miles. On the other hand, Miles/KwH was up to 2.5 - again I don't know if that was for just that drive, or cumulative - I'm going to guess it was since the last charge (vs. last start?)

Updating to this morning - my wife drove it to work today (essentially reversing much of the route home from the night before, but 12.5 miles), and on arrival, range was still at 60, having crept up and then back down during the drive (not sure if that was in D or Eco [edit to clarify- she drove in Eco, but I'm not sure if that range at the end of the commute was in Eco or D) She drove a few groups of coworkers around the parking lot and the reported range dropped a bit more (down to 57), and the car is now showing 67% charge via carwings. She'll commute home and we'll charge tonight for the first time on our EVSE, to 80%.

I definitely need more data, but I have to believe that it's all going to shake out better than it first appeared given the great results others have seen!

mwalsh said:
I need to get comfortable with what I have left from 100% first. Only then, when I'm sure I've got a good shot, will I try the same run at 80% SOC.
yes that is what I plan as well my drive to work is 76 RT.

Back