LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
edatoakrun said:
Exciting news!

Gen 2 LEAF intro officially moved forward from soon, to very soon...

As the Geneva show press days have just about passed I'll take that to mean the New York Auto Show will be the debut of Leaf 2. April 14-23rd, 2017.

mtndrew1 said:
edatoakrun said:
Exciting news!

As the Geneva show press days have just about passed I'll take that to mean the New York Auto Show will be the debut of Leaf 2. April 14-23rd, 2017.

Feels like it's always "the next auto show", doesn't it?

So has Nissan been holding up a compelling option to further the transition from fossil fuels until they could perfect a system for people who are too lazy to drive?

LTLFTcomposite said:
So has Nissan been holding up a compelling option to further the transition from fossil fuels until they could perfect a system for people who are too lazy to drive?
I suspect that may be the case.

Following the Autopilot debacle, Nissan is probably doing everything it can to keep us from seeing YouTube videos of Gen 2 LEAFs set on ProPILOT crashing into immobile objects...

LTLFTcomposite said:

More likely, Nissan can't compete with the Bolt on price-for-range, so they are looking for another compelling differentiator.

GetOffYourGas said:
mtndrew1 said:
edatoakrun said:
Exciting news!

Feels like it's always "the next auto show", doesn't it?
So very true :(
I'll be going to my local auto show next week, what I expect:
No Hyundai IonQ's(or at least any to sit it) and no one will know anything about the EV or PHEV.....
No Kia Nero's to sit in, and they won't know anything about the BEVs or PHEVs......
They won't have a Pacifica PHEV but more than likely they'll have the gasser Pacifica.
Mitsubishi........well what can I say about the PHEV Outlander.......next auto show :roll:
They'll probably have a Bolt?? or Volt?? but it will probably be way crowded.
Prius Prime, hopefully......they'll have one, we'll see I hold out little hope I'll like the passenger/cargo room or design.
Nissan won't know squat about the eNV-200, maybe next year........ :roll:
Oh, they'll have that way! overpriced Volvo XC-90?? PHEV, no thanks!

Several BEVs or even PHEVs I'd like to sit it, whether they have them is TBD.

jjeff said:
I'll be going to my local auto show next week, what I expect:
No Hyundai IonQ's(or at least any to sit it) and no one will know anything about the EV or PHEV.....
No Kia Nero's to sit in, and they won't know anything about the BEVs or PHEVs......
They won't have a Pacifica PHEV but more than likely they'll have the gasser Pacifica.
Mitsubishi........well what can I say about the PHEV Outlander.......next auto show :roll:
They'll probably have a Bolt?? or Volt?? but it will probably be way crowded.
Prius Prime, hopefully......they'll have one, we'll see I hold out little hope I'll like the passenger/cargo room or design.
Nissan won't know squat about the eNV-200, maybe next year........ :roll:
Oh, they'll have that way! overpriced Volvo XC-90?? PHEV, no thanks!

Several BEVs or even PHEVs I'd like to sit it, whether they have them is TBD.
Actually, IIRC, back in November the LA Auto Show had:
- the Ioniq (Couldn't sit in it, but could see it on the turn table. By now they will likely have one open for people to sit in.)
- the Pacifca PHEV (Not sure if could sit in it or just see it on turn table as we weren't interested and didn't visit that display. By now, I'd bet a decent amount they would have one you can actually touch/sit it.)
- Bolt and Volt (Both available to sit in. Should be same for your show. Crowd at LA was big but wasn't that bad.)
- Prius Prime (Available to sit in.)

So I suspect you will have some good options to look at and sit in. There will always be models just around the corner that you will wish was at the show you attended.

InsideEvs says.... Reveal in September, on sale in 2017!

http://insideevs.com/new-nissan-leaf-september-2017/

Good. A date. It's 6 months from now, but it's still a date. No more constant waiting for the next auto show followed by disappointment.

Argh! I hope it doesn't keep that ugly(new looking Prius) front end and tail lights :? I don't mind the aerodynamic sloping rear end, just the ugly accents.

Its interesting that Insideevs thinks 200 miles is a given. There are some quotes from the past that the 200 mile Leaf 2 will come later - so we'll have to see.

Yes, releasing Leaf 2 without a 200 mile option would be terribly shameful for Nissan - so I'm sure they won't do that unless they have no choice. I wonder whether they will pull a number by announcing a 200 mile option that comes a little later or available in small quantities in the beginning (because they aren't ready).

I still wouldn't put it past Nissan to disappoint on kWh/range. I'd expect one of the trims to have a 48 kWh pack and the other will either be the disappointment of still selling 30 kWh packs or the more expected/desired 60 kWh packs.

48 kWh will give you about 180 miles real world range in good weather doing near 4 miles per kWh and having unused capacity for the top/bottom ends. They'll crow about that being over 200 miles in the Japan testing/one specific LA profile.

So disappointment is one of:

* 30 kWh in the form of Leaf 1 2018 model year or 30 kWh in the form of a low pack option Leaf 2 body for the low end
* 48 kWh in the Leaf 2 mid/high trim

and expected desired is one of:

* 48 kWh Leaf 2 body for the base trim
* 60 kWh Leaf 2 body for the mid/high trim

but I just can't get over the nagging fear that they'll do the 30 old body / 48 new body and leave everyone disappointed (no optional battery size in either body style).

evnow said:
Its interesting that Insideevs thinks 200 miles is a given. There are some quotes from the past that the 200 mile Leaf 2 will come later - so we'll have to see.

Yes, releasing Leaf 2 without a 200 mile option would be terribly shameful for Nissan - so I'm sure they won't do that unless they have no choice. I wonder whether they will pull a number by announcing a 200 mile option that comes a little later or available in small quantities in the beginning (because they aren't ready).

Well, depending on when we retire, a 200 mile Leaf would be way overkill for us anyway. More than likely a 40 KWH leaf would be perfect for us. Really our 30 KWH is fine but an extra 29 or 30 miles would be a bonus.

I'd also be fine with 180 miles, although I understand why others won't. What worries me is the possibility of a new Leaf that isn't easy to get into and out of, and that sits too low for older drives like me. The plastic-covered test car we saw a couple of weeks ago would actually be a better design for me.

You gotta figure the test car we saw is what we will be revealed this fall. A practical configuration, more sporty design, newer tech and yes longer range but it doesn't look like a 60kwh platform.
Of course it's surprising to see the Bolt carry 60kwh so it's possible.
I think we get most of what we want, but not all.
super performance ..... no
200 plus miles of EPA range... maybe.

super performance ..... no

It's going to be disappointing if it's still 108HP, or even 120 to compensate for added weight. Anything from 150 up would be acceptable. It had also better have more than one charge limit, even if it's just one like "hilltop mode," and the new headlights had better be good. Nissan is also, needless to say, giving us time to drive the Ioniq EV, and wait for Bolt lease prices to fall, so it won't be a case of us having to lease or buy one "warts and all.".

See the new thread. Nissan now suggesting Leaf 2 will exceed expectations in range, design, value etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back