LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
leafnextgrille.jpeg

This front grille piece is transparent to the radar and ultrasonic sensors for the ProPilot Assist hardware. The charge ports are above this grille as seen in some spy photographs that have been published.

edatoakrun said:
The top photo may be of the ids prototype, and not necessarily of the Gen 2 LEAF:

http://www.urdesignmag.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/nissan-ids-concept-3.jpg
Dang it. I think you are right.

The third possibility is that they copied the prototype nose as closely as possible on Leaf "2". The carbon fiber patch looks smaller in the newer photo.

I think LeftieBiker is correct. There appear to be some subtle differences in the headlight assembly. An Australian site posted a slightly less cropped image (see below) and it looks to me that the individual LED modules are rectangular and "production" looking, while the IDS had narrower LED modules, with a swoopy design to the bezel/frame. The fact that the "grill" matches up well with the earlier teaser image implies to me that Nissan is showing the actual production Leaf nose. Why would they show the IDS so close to actual release of the Leaf 2.0, and risk drawing criticism from people for doing a bait and switch?

nissan-leaf-front-teaser.jpg

I think the grill image is the IDS - the headlights are the confirmation - here's the IDS headlight:

Nissan-IDS-Concept-headlamp.jpg

And here's the new Leaf headlight:

2018-Nissan-leaf-headlamp-teaser-750x422.jpg

Drat, forgot they showed the headlight assembly already. Oh well, is there any hope that there will be a version with the LED headlight assembly that looks like the IDS? :/

LeftieBiker said:
The "official" headlight assembly looks like cheap crap. Expect that LED lightbar to last about 6 months.
I don't know about the quality but I think the 'look' overall is good.

LeftieBiker said:
I think the lightbar looks like someone wanted to "customize" their car with a $10 set of JC Whitney lights.

LOL. Don't forget, JC Whitney is your home for

Nissan Leaf Carburetors & Assesories http://www.jcwhitney.com/carburetors-and-accessories/nissan-leaf/c2039d54595j1s21.jcwx

and

Nissan Leaf Exhaust Pipes & Tubing http://www.jcwhitney.com/exhaust-pipes-and-tubing/nissan-leaf/c10826d54595j1s21.jcwx

Back to the light bar - I like it. Makes me think 'European' for some reason. Audi influence, maybe?

Imagine always fitting in

The new #Nissan #LEAF with ProPILOT Park, premieres September 6

YOKOHAMA, Japan (July 1, 2017) – Nissan revealed today that the forthcoming new Nissan LEAF will be the first vehicle in the automaker’s global product lineup equipped with ProPILOT Park. The technology helps drivers park by automatically guiding the car into a parking spot.

ProPILOT Park liberates drivers from one of the most tedious, and at times the most challenging, tasks of driving. It gives you confidence that you can park perfectly.

Sonars and cameras on the new Nissan LEAF effortlessly guide the car into a parallel, angled, front or straight back-in parking spot, reducing driver stress by handling accelerator, braking and steering input. The driver activates the technology in three easy steps, monitors the area around the vehicle and applies the brakes if necessary.

This technology represents another milestone in Nissan’s ongoing commitment to bringing accessible, advanced driver assistance technologies to mainstream vehicles. Set to make driving safer and more enjoyable, the development of ProPILOT technologies is part of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company’s blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered and integrated into society.

By launching the LEAF, the world’s first mass-market electric vehicle, Nissan established itself as a pioneer in the EV movement. Today, the Nissan LEAF is the world’s best-selling electric vehicle, with more than 270,000 sold worldwide.
http://newsroom.nissan-europe.com/eu/en-gb/media/pressreleases/426196601/imagine-always-fitting-in1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpiE2tcjqc

jhm614 said:
LeftieBiker said:
The "official" headlight assembly looks like cheap crap. Expect that LED lightbar to last about 6 months.
I don't know about the quality but I think the 'look' overall is good.

Leaf front definitely needed changes. What I don't get is why they changed the rear vertical lights - that is kind of iconic for Leaf and looked really good.

I think that Nissan finally figured out that the average person doesn't want an EV to look different, they want it to look indistinguishable from an ICE car.

alozzy said:
I think that Nissan finally figured out that the average person doesn't want an EV to look different, they want it to look indistinguishable from an ICE car.

How many ICE cars have the kind of "rope LEDs" you decorate homes for Christmas with, draped over the headlights?

LeftieBiker said:
alozzy said:

How many ICE cars have the king of "rope LEDs" you decorate homes for Christmas with, draped over the headlights?

Almost all of them.

alozzy said:
IMO not correct. "Average" person wants his car to look cool and unique. But not in a weird way i.e. not too far from contemporary design. Nothing to do with ICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back