LEAF advisory group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chelsea stated from the outset that she wanted many different areas represented. the N. Cal area has Darrell Dickey and Phil. i would not envy the person who had to make that decision.

cwerdna said:
pchilds said:
evchels said:
I want to be respectful about talking publicly about why specific individuals haven't been picked, but am happy to discuss general reasoning or discuss offline. In many cases it came down to having too many good choices in CA and the West Coast in general, and only being able to pick a few.

Aren't the majority of LEAFs in the US in CA and on the West Coast? You can't expect to find as many owners in the middle of the country, when only a comparatively few LEAFs have been sold their.
Well, re: the geographic distribution, there's also the areas and order in which Nissan chose to roll out the Leaf besides CA being the most populous state and having CA incentives (CVRP and CA HOV stickers). And, there's the large # of CHAdeMO chargers in WA, OR and TN. Leafs weren't available in much of the US for awhile. I don't know all the phases and corresponding states. I'm sure someone else does.
Back to geographic distribution, I came across http://green.autoblog.com/2012/11/09/california-leads-in-green-car-sales-but-there-are-surprises-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today.
Through August, Californians bought 11.1 percent of all of the vehicles sold in America. They also bought 32 percent of all electric vehicles sold and 24.7 percent of all hybrids, according to retail registrations tracked by R.L. Polk and examined by Edmunds
Top 10 States Buying Electric vehicles
California 32 percent
Florida 6.6 percent
Washington 5.7 percent
Texas 4.3 percent
New York 3.5 percent
Ohio 3.1 percent
North Carolina 3.1 percent
Illinois 3.1 percent
Tennessee 2.9 percent
Hawaii 2.9 percent
If you wish to discuss the results of the study, what you've seen in real life w/respect to the above, etc. head over to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :)

cwerdna said:
Through August, Californians bought 11.1 percent of all of the vehicles sold in America. They also bought 32 percent of all electric vehicles sold

Yup (SCE estimates 40% of PEVs sold are in CA- would be interesting to compare their background data). Which is in part why there are three members from CA, each from a different areas of the state.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Chelsea stated from the outset that she wanted many different areas represented. the N. Cal area has Darrell Dickey and Phil. i would not envy the person who had to make that decision.

And SurfingSlovak, and TEG, and Mike Thompson, and various BayLEAFers, and....

There's no single factor that made me pick or rule out any particular person. Not geography, and not NDA's. I've aimed to pick a group that made sense together, and I've considered countless combinations (seriously- I've a 6x9' whiteboard space with names of every single person who's been nominated, volunteered, or occurred to me as appropriate, all broken down in various ways; it ain't pretty :) ). Any chosen group is not going to be perfect, but I hope in the end it'll be helpful. Only time will tell. I completely understand the skepticism for multiple reasons, but I do appreciate those who will at least give us a chance to see what we can do before deciding the whole effort is useless.

If having such a group proves to be useful, we will rotate out members in a year or so and will again look to this group for input. In the meantime, I expect that should a topic come up that we think needs someone's insight and expertise who isn't part of the group, we'll pull them in, in addition to having discussions here and elsewhere. (Heck, I've even envisioned sub-comittees around different topics!) Nothing about this has been meant to exclude feedback from anyone, which is why I've laid it all out here from the beginning- but at this point, I'm also trying to get it up and going at all, even if imperfect.

cwerdna said:
California 32 percent
Florida 6.6 percent
Washington 5.7 percent
Texas 4.3 percent
New York 3.5 percent
Ohio 3.1 percent
North Carolina 3.1 percent
Illinois 3.1 percent
Tennessee 2.9 percent
Hawaii 2.9 percent

Good to see Tennessee in the top 10, didn't think Bubba and his gun rack would want a LEAF :)

The odd thing is is that I spent this last week in CA starting at San Francisco and ending up in LA and saw exactly zero LEAF's on the road. I did see two volts.

I was expecting see multiple LEAF's everywhere. (I did pass the Tesla Factory on Highway 101). Didn't see a Tesla but I did see a Bugatti. Not at all what I was expecting.

Where do you guys hide your LEAF's?

JPWhite said:
cwerdna said:
California 32 percent

Good to see Tennessee in the top 10, didn't think Bubba and his gun rack would want a LEAF :)

The odd thing is is that I spent this last week in CA starting at San Francisco and ending up in LA and saw exactly zero LEAF's on the road. I did see two volts.

I was expecting see multiple LEAF's everywhere. (I did pass the Tesla Factory on Highway 101). Didn't see a Tesla but I did see a Bugatti. Not at all what I was expecting.

Where do you guys hide your LEAF's?
I've seen a few Leafs running around my part of south San Jose (Turbo3 lives near me too). It might be more common to see them go by in HOV lanes during rush hour on highways that are heavily traveled during those times. I think I've seen them go by on 237, 87, 85 and maybe 101.

I've never seen a Tesla Model S on the road but I think I've seen Roadsters before (hard to tell them from the Lotus Elise from a distance).

DaveinOlyWA said:
how did these threads get combined?
I don't think it did. I brought up geographic distribution from the study here as it relates to advisory group selection.

I created another thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to talk about its findings.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
how did these threads get combined?
I don't think it did. I brought up geographic distribution from the study here as it relates to advisory group selection.

I created another thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to talk about its findings.

ya... i "saw" that. but no longer looks like "another" thread anymore
oh i dunno. maybe they were all here. the other thread is pretty barren

I'm a non-typical owner. I leased a LEAF quite by accident. I did virtually no research, and went with the recommendation of a trusted friend who had researched the car extensively and called to tell me about a super-sweet deal locally.

I was looking at a Prius or other hybrid because of range-anxiety issues, but the lease offer on the LEAF was too good a deal to pass up. I was willing to trade having to plan ahead more with my driving than paying several hundred dollars more per month. Basically, I'm a cheap-skate that fell into a LEAF deal due to a friend knowing I needed a new car and pointing out this very favorable lease that will save my family a ton of money.

I never, ever expected to be a LEAF customer.

Boy, am I a convert!! I love this car, and I have no issues with range-anxiety like I thought I would.

In short, I'm a cheap-skate ICE man who went for the sweet deal, despite the untested waters and now cannot imagine going back to an ICE for daily grocery-getting, and really enjoy this car a great deal. I'm totally surprised at the car, and myself. Our ICE car (note my savvy EV lingo already after less than a week :cool: ) is a 4Runner, and the LEAF replaced a Lexus, so this was not only an ICE abandonment for me, it was also a brand-jump!

I would like to participate if you have openings and if you think a person like me could be of value.

Best regards,
E

I am doubling down on BS. There is NO ONE on this forum or anywhere else that knows as much about the Leaf than Phil does. I would put up his knowledge of the car with anyone that Nissan could throw up against him. Saying anything to the contrary is bullshit. All I am hearing are reasons why he was not chosen. What are you afraid of? He would call bullshit and would know more about the car and that scares you? Nissan?
Excuses for not picking him are bullshit. She knows it and Nissan knows it. Everyone who agreed to be on this idiotic panel knows it. Everyone who takes part without Phil is just a wannabe. Our community should not take part unless Phil is a part of this. Come on everyone, it is time to grow a pair.

evchels said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

And SurfingSlovak, and TEG, and Mike Thompson, and various BayLEAFers, and....

There's no single factor that made me pick or rule out any particular person. Not geography, and not NDA's. I've aimed to pick a group that made sense together, and I've considered countless combinations (seriously- I've a 6x9' whiteboard space with names of every single person who's been nominated, volunteered, or occurred to me as appropriate, all broken down in various ways; it ain't pretty :) ). Any chosen group is not going to be perfect, but I hope in the end it'll be helpful. Only time will tell. I completely understand the skepticism for multiple reasons, but I do appreciate those who will at least give us a chance to see what we can do before deciding the whole effort is useless.

If having such a group proves to be useful, we will rotate out members in a year or so and will again look to this group for input. In the meantime, I expect that should a topic come up that we think needs someone's insight and expertise who isn't part of the group, we'll pull them in, in addition to having discussions here and elsewhere. (Heck, I've even envisioned sub-comittees around different topics!) Nothing about this has been meant to exclude feedback from anyone, which is why I've laid it all out here from the beginning- but at this point, I'm also trying to get it up and going at all, even if imperfect.

Ingineer said:
Something is wrong here, this was the "Leaf Advisory Group" and it looks like it has now been merged with "EV geographic distrubution".

Mods?
No it wasn't. I changed the subject to "EV geographic distrubution" when I made post http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=242493#p242493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I also created http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but almost nobody is bothering discuss the results of the study there...

Sorry for the confusion.

LOL!

If people want discuss the Edmunds EV, hybrid geographic distribution study, please do so at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, not here. :)

I did figure my reply was appropriate in light of Chelsea's desire to have some geographic diversity... but that is in conflict w/where most EVs actually were sold/available.

downeykp said:
I am doubling down on BS. There is NO ONE on this forum or anywhere else that knows as much about the Leaf than Phil does. I would put up his knowledge of the car with anyone that Nissan could throw up against him. Say say anything to the contrary is bullshit. All I am hearing are reasons why he was not chosen. What are you afraid of? He would call bullshit and would know more about the car and that scares you? Nissan?
Excuses for not picking him are bullshit. She knows it and Nissan knows it. Everyone who agreed to be on this idiotic panel knows it. Everyone who takes part without Phil is just a wannabe. Our community should not take part unless Phil is a part of this. Come on everyone, it is time to grow a pair.
Thanks for your vote of confidence! I'm content with Chelsea's explanation. If somehow a difficult technical issue comes up within the group, I'm sure I'll be asked about it, and I'll be happy to contribute. As long as we have people like Tony, Reg and Dave in there, I'm confident we'll get proper representation at least up to whatever level Nissan is going to accept.

-Phil

downeykp said:
Everyone who takes part without Phil is just a wannabe. Our community should not take part unless Phil is a part of this. Come on everyone, it is time to grow a pair.

You're F-ing kidding me, right? Phil is a fantastic choice, but calling the rest of us names puts you on my Orient Express list.

Is my "pair" grown enough for you?

Whoa! Tony. I meant that from a purely technical standpoint. Phil is working on a whole different level technically speaking.
Tony, what you have done and the sh*t you have taken from a lot of assh*les is to be commended. You definitely have a big pair. (figuratively speaking of course) :D

TonyWilliams said:
downeykp said:
Everyone who takes part without Phil is just a wannabe. Our community should not take part unless Phil is a part of this. Come on everyone, it is time to grow a pair.

You're F-ing kidding me, right? Phil is a fantastic choice, but calling the rest of us names puts you on my Orient Express list.

downeykp said:
... You definitely have a big pair. (figuratively speaking of course) :D

WhatTheSpock.gif

Alright, but holy smokes guys, don't we have enough hate going on here? If you don't mean to offend, then DON'T DO IT.

Tony

downeykp said:
Whoa! Tony. I meant that from a purely technical standpoint. Phil is working on a whole different level technically speaking.
Tony, what you have done and the sh*t you have taken from a lot of assh*les is to be commended. You definitely have a big pair. (figuratively speaking of course) :D

TonyWilliams said:
downeykp said:

Back