LEAF crime - stolen HOV decal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
At Orange Coast college in Costa Mesa:

A male staff member reported that his DMV carpool permit was stolen from the bumper of his red Nissan Leaf while it was parked in the Administration Parking Lot on Oct. 7 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

The victim said he would file a police report with Costa Mesa Police Department, Farmer said.

There are no suspects and the permit is valued at $8.

One wonders of what value is one sticker...

A male staff member reported that his DMV carpool permit was stolen from the bumper of his red Nissan Leaf while it was parked in the Administration Parking Lot on Oct. 7 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Man! This use to be a problem with the yellow stickers on Hybrids since they were no longer available, at any price, on a new car.

I didn't expect this to happen with the white stickers, though I guess some a**hole in a Honda Civic could pretend to be in a CNG. :evil:

hill said:
EVDRIVER said:
TonyWilliams said:
That's why mine are painted over with clear coat.

Yea, I bolted mine on with four 1/4" bolts on each.
I hope you used loctite 271 ... or I'll be havin' my way :D
Bolts? Clear coat? Loctite? Not going to stop a determined thief nearly as well as my system where I've attached a coat-hanger based method of linking the ChaDeMo port via an inverter to the bumper to provide a good 400V/100A to any potential HOV sticker bandits. Thomas Edison and his elephant scheme gave me the idea.

Bassman said:
How'd they get it off without it tearing to pieces? And also they have to have the registration paperwork for it from DMV.

I believe that older white stickers do not do this. I've observed that stickers numbered > 10000 are different from those < 10000. The newer ones have holograms, and the older ones do not. I suspect that the DMV had old, less secure, stickers and issued those until they ran out and then gave out newer, more secure, stickers.

mwalsh said:
At Orange Coast college in Costa Mesa:
<snip>There are no suspects and the permit is valued at $8.
Uh, what about hasslen and the 3 month wait to get new ons...? What is the value of that...?

I know you guys are kidding around some, but putting clear protector over them is not a bad idea.

Devin said:
hill said:
EVDRIVER said:
Yea, I bolted mine on with four 1/4" bolts on each.
I hope you used loctite 271 ... or I'll be havin' my way :D
Bolts? Clear coat? Loctite? Not going to stop a determined thief nearly as well as my system where I've attached a coat-hanger based method of linking the ChaDeMo port via an inverter to the bumper to provide a good 400V/100A to any potential HOV sticker bandits. Thomas Edison and his elephant scheme gave me the idea.
Nobody's getting my stickers. I keep 'em secure in the envelope in the trunk of my LEAF ! :twisted:

Malcolm :geek:

Wouldn't it be easier for someone who wants to cheat the system to simply copy and print out a sticker from the website? It wouldn't be hard to do, and then they can drive their Toyota Sequoia alone in the HOV lane as often as they like! If stopped, just say it runs on natural gas. :shock: :?

I was listening to a discussion on NPR about electric vehicles and one gentleman reported that an insurance company did a survey and found that a used Toyota Prius with the HOV sticker sold for $!,000 to $1,500 more than the similar vehicle without. This was of course before the Prius was kicked out of the carpool lane. BTW, he also said since hybrids have been banned from the carpool lane, traffic congestion has increased substantially. Watch for a redo on that, and tell your neighbor with the Prius he might not want to pull off that sticker just yet.

In AZ, they just issue Alternate Fuel blue license plate instead of using the sticker system for the HOV lane. But of course, somebody can also easily steal your license plate as well. Maybe more easy than the sticker. But maybe it's a bigger crime to be driving with a stolen plate than a stolen sticker.

waynor said:
BTW, he also said since hybrids have been banned from the carpool lane, traffic congestion has increased substantially. Watch for a redo on that, and tell your neighbor with the Prius he might not want to pull off that sticker just yet.

It's not exactly surprising that adding cars back into the non-HOV lanes will increase traffic congestion... With the upcoming green HOV sticker release in 2012 in CA (for the Prius plug-in and MAYBE the 2012 volt), many of those cars will be swapped back in. I wouldn't hold my breath if you expect the state to allow yellow stickers back into the HOV lane.

Back