LEAF doesn't have an Interior trunk release

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWhite

Couldn't find the trunk release inside the cabin of my LEAF or any mention in the owners manual. LEAF tech support told me that it doesn't have one :-(

That sucks. How could they not provide such a basic feature while providing some really neat leading edge gizmos?

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You have been connected to Eric W.

Eric W: Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Consumer Affairs. How may I assist you?

JP White: Hi. Can you tell me where the trunk release switch is. Not the one on the trunk itself, but a remote release inside the vehicle?

Eric W: Just a moment please?

JP White: sure

Eric W: Thank you for your patience. The rear hatch does not have an interior release on the Nissan LEAF. You can use the Intelligent key to unlock the rear hatch by pressing UNLOCK twice.

JP White: OK. Are there any plans to make a release available through the display panel or via phone app?

Eric W: There are currently no plans or any information to suggest the implementation of this feature in the future.

JP White: OK Thanks. Shame it hasn't got a switch like the Altima does.

Eric W: Is there anything else I can assist you with today/

JP White: No thanks. That's all

Eric W: Thank you for contacting Nissan and have a good day.

mwalsh said:
JPWhite said:
Couldn't find the trunk release inside the cabin of my LEAF or any mention in the owners manual. LEAF tech support told me that it doesn't have one :-(

I don't think it's required on hatchbacks, just in cars with a proper trunk.

Exactly.

Why would you need one? There isn't anything to release! The idea behind a trunk release is so on trunks that open with a key, you don't need it to open, but the hatch on the LEAF doesn't need a key.

If you want one for safety reasons, then, yeah, what others said about hatchbacks not needing one.

OK I can think of several reasons why a trunk release is just plain handy. (Not sure what the 'required' comments were driving at, an auto manufacturer is only 'required' to do anything by force of law).

Example 1: Went to the garage last night to get something out of the trunk. Didn't have any keys on me. Guess what, I couldn't get to my stuff without going back in the house for a key. Normally I just open the drivers door on my vehicles in this case and pop the trunk. (Since its in the garage yes the drivers door is open).

Example 2: Dropping off someone at the airport. They have their stuff in the trunk. Would be nice to be able to pop the trunk for them, rather than either get out and open the trunk, or fiddle around while sat down trying to get the keys out of my front pocket.

Example 3: I have my hands full, I ask my wife to pop the trunk so I can put something in the trunk. Neither of us have keys. With a trunk release she could assist me easily.

It's a matter of convenience I have grown accustomed to with my old Chevy Classic and my wife's Altima. I miss that convenience.

I would have preferred the engineers spend a little time putting in such a convenience feature rather than wasting time with tree hugger graphics on the top dash so we can feel good when we earn a 'tree'. My goal is to clock up 100,000 miles in my LEAF without earning a single tree :)

JPWhite said:
Example 3: I have my hands full, I ask my wife to pop the trunk so I can put something in the trunk. Neither of us have keys. With a trunk release she could assist me easily.

Oh, you mean a remote button. I thought you were talking about the emergency handle. Yeah, it could do with one of those.

JPWhite said:
Example 1: Went to the garage last night to get something out of the trunk. Didn't have any keys on me. Guess what, I couldn't get to my stuff without going back in the house for a key. Normally I just open the drivers door on my vehicles in this case and pop the trunk. (Since its in the garage yes the drivers door is open).
Example 2: Dropping off someone at the airport. They have their stuff in the trunk. Would be nice to be able to pop the trunk for them, rather than either get out and open the trunk, or fiddle around while sat down trying to get the keys out of my front pocket.
If the drivers door is open or you're in the car, you can just push the door unlock button on the armrest...then anyone can simply open the hatch.
JPWhite said:
...How could they not provide such a basic feature while providing some really neat leading edge gizmos?
What most people are missing is that despite the price tag, the LEAF is not a luxury car, it's an economy car. That's why there's a shortage of frills. The only reason it even has GPS is to guide you to charging stations and because they needed the display for all the car status they wanted to have. Comparing LEAF to the Altima is a false comparison. The correct comparison is to the Versa or the Sentra.

JPWhite said:
OK I can think of several reasons why a trunk release is just plain handy. (Not sure what the 'required' comments were driving at, an auto manufacturer is only 'required' to do anything by force of law).

It's a matter of convenience I have grown accustomed to with my old Chevy Classic and my wife's Altima. I miss that convenience.

I would have preferred the engineers spend a little time putting in such a convenience feature rather than wasting time with tree hugger graphics on the top dash so we can feel good when we earn a 'tree'. My goal is to clock up 100,000 miles in my LEAF without earning a single tree :)

I think you've made some excellent points, and i agree with you 100%, JP. :)

Simple, the LEAF is an econo car made to seem like something nicer, they cut every corner they could, even on the NAV. They don't even have a release button for the charge door which is as dumb as it gets since it gets used so often which is far more practical over an also useful trunk release.

the hatch opens if the car is not locked and lets compare other hatchbacks. i only really know the Prius well.

l the battery dies for example. for that you must crawl into the back (if you are overweight by more than a bit, get someone else to do it) then get to where you can pull the cover up enough to get at the latch pull.

not an extremely difficult task for me but i am 5'8" and just barely considered overweight (most people are surprised by this)

for others, not so easy

mwalsh said:
JPWhite said:

Oh, you mean a remote button. I thought you were talking about the emergency handle. Yeah, it could do with one of those.

Yeah I could have picked a better title :) Sorry for any confusion.

If the drivers door is open or you're in the car, you can just push the door unlock button on the armrest...then anyone can simply open the hatch.

Ah OK. That solves that problem. I only had the drivers door open after parking in the garage when trying to get into the trunk. Thanks for the tip!!

What most people are missing is that despite the price tag, the LEAF is not a luxury car, it's an economy car. That's why there's a shortage of frills. The only reason it even has GPS is to guide you to charging stations and because they needed the display for all the car status they wanted to have. Comparing LEAF to the Altima is a false comparison. The correct comparison is to the Versa or the Sentra.

I think it has plenty of mod cons, luxury? not quite, but well appointed certainly. I think 'economy' is a tad harsh for this vehicle.

Yeah the comparison should be to a loaded versa in terms of the class of car, I mention the Altima only because it's a Nissan and I know how it works. BTW The Chevy Classic I also mentioned that has the trunk release is certainly an economy vehicle, the LEAF is a class above that for sure.

Yeah I still don't see it. In all your examples, someone has access to the inside of the car. If that is true, the the car is unlocked. If the car is unlocked, regardless of if you have the key, you can press the button under the handle and open the trunk with one finger. No remote necessary because the door lock button, in a sense, is the "remote".

Now if you want it to *open* automatically when released, then that has nothing to do with the remote but the design of the lifting mechanism.

I know I pick nits.

I haven't missed it.

It doesn't do any good to "pop" the trunk on the LEAF because you still have to lift it. If you have to lift it, I'd rather it stayed latched until someone was there to lift it. And when they do, the button is conveniently automatic. The whole system seems fine here.

I haven't driven off with the trunk "popped" and not closed, right? That's nice.

I think it should be welded shut just to see what people will do when they press the button. It would make the LEAf more interesting.

Yes if the driver can reach a release button that you are requesting then the driver can also push the unlock button. If you expect to push a button and the rear hatch lifts on its own (like some minivans and others) then you are out of luck and probably asking too much. I just cannot see the issue at all.

EVDRIVER said:
I think it should be welded shut just to see what people will do when they press the button. It would make the LEAf more interesting.

Park it where it snows during the night and when the snow melts with temperature in the teens the hatch gaskets will freeze and weld it shut. I don't miss the cold weather at all....

EVDRIVER said:

HA! yeah, this is right up there with the AM radio not getting great reception, that really bugs me, when I get tired of streaming Pandora wirelesly from my phone, like from some futuristic movie, I really resent not having a decent AM radio to keep it interesting, LOL.

this is a real concern. What if you’re driving over a bridge and the bridge is starting to collapse. Seconds matter. And what if you have a 90 lb dog in the back (which I usually do). If you had a way to open the hatch then the dog could jump out. Otherwise the dog is almost certainly going to drown. Is there any option for a dealer to add an emergency cable to open it?

I think it would be a very difficult install. My dog rides in the back seat, and if I can get out, he can get out. The question I believe in relation to the Francis Scott Key bridge failure today. If a bridge collapses, your fear should be if you remain conscious and able to move, not a given on such a fall. I would hope both you and your animal can find a way out, but remember the air bags will deploy, and hopefully you are buckled in.
Having said that, I have several million miles of driving commercially, and a bridge failure, is extremely unlikely, and you are far more likely to die from a collision and your chances are much better if you are wearing a seatbelt.

Back