Leaf is too successful! Nissan needs to step up.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
Open up the Blink online map (or better still your iPhone app) right now and browse the 100 odd L2 stations in this metro area. Find out and report back here in this forum on how many are used at any given time? Now try this experiment at different times of the day and week. I bet not more than 4 or 5 of those 100+ stations would be in use at any time, even on weekends

what you are suggesting might be more applicable as an example of how poorly ecotality does its job of reporting usage. one thing they usually fail to show is how many of them are simply not working

mazdaboi said:
Look at plugshare, charge point, semacharge and there is another app on mobile devices available to search for plug-in stations. I have been successful so far. Plugshare allows posting of phone numbers so you can call ahead. Planning a long 200mile trip here soon so planning ahead will help me. I am confident I can make it in the leaf with a 3-4hr lay over here or there for charging. Should be fun!!
Oh, I know about the various sites to find charging stations - most are on my iPad. But, it remains that if what you are counting on is not operational, or blocked, or whatever, you still must find an alternate. If that is no-go, you just might be up the creek with out a paddle.

Checking status is fine, but that will not tell you if an EVSE is blocked by a Hummer.

I rarely use public L2 charging stations because I simply don't have the time to hang around for hours while charging... QC is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

mazdaboi said:
Look at plugshare, charge point, semacharge and there is another app on mobile devices available to search for plug-in stations. I have been successful so far. Plugshare allows posting of phone numbers so you can call ahead. Planning a long 200mile trip here soon so planning ahead will help me. I am confident I can make it in the leaf with a 3-4hr lay over here or there for charging. Should be fun!!

TomT said:
I rarely use public L2 charging stations because I simply don't have the time to hang around for hours while charging... QC is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

+1! We just had our 6th QC go online today! It's located in an Apartment Complex and it's 24/7! :mrgreen:

ebill3 said:
mazdaboi said:
Oh, I know about the various sites to find charging stations - most are on my iPad. But, it remains that if what you are counting on is not operational, or blocked, or whatever, you still must find an alternate. If that is no-go, you just might be up the creek with out a paddle.

Checking status is fine, but that will not tell you if an EVSE is blocked by a Hummer.

Yeupppp thats da troof there! I know there are issues with EV spots being taken up by ICE vehicles or that local authorities will not enforce the parking areas for EV owners. (which in the future hopefully will change!!!)

I stopped by a local Walgreens last week to get some drinks, and I saw a old black Hyundai in the SemaCharge spot. i was able to park next to it to try the station and confirm it was still FREE. I proceeded to go inside and ask the cashier whos car was parked in the EV Charge spot. his reply "Oh Do you need a charge? My manager parks there so her car wont get damaged and nobody has used it in the 2 years it has been installed" I replied " Well sign of the times have come and I was able to park next to her, there are plenty of spots AWAY from the Charge Station where your manager can park to ensure she wont....get another scratch on her car" He then replied " Oh ok, Does the charger work?" I just shook my head and walked out.

Its like... REALLY!?!?!?!? Kinda funny, but I am not harping on the 7 year old base model hyundai at all, but at 5am, no cars in the lot...there are plenty of spots to park which nobody will damage your car.

dang, i rambled on there LOL. But i agree L2 public charging isnt idea for a road trip. But for visiting malls, using it while in a parking garage during work hours, visiting a city, etc...its not a bad idea. Definately not taking the family and stopping for 4-6hrs for a charge, haha.

ebill3 said:
mazdaboi said:

I'm at the point where I'd prefere to be blocked by a Hummer, over a Plug in that's full and not using the spot. The Plug in peep's at least understand the need ... the hummer dude doesn't understand period.

hill said:
I'm at the point where I'd prefere to be blocked by a Hummer, over a Plug in that's full and not using the spot. The Plug in peep's at least understand the need ... the hummer dude doesn't understand period.
Me too.

At a recent visit to a mall in Bellevue, seven of eight spaces serving four EVSEs, five were ICEd, two were blocked by LEAFs not plugged in. I lucked out and got slot #8. Otherwise, it would have meant crusing around unfamiliar clogged city streets trying to find another.

ebill3 said:
hill said:
Me too.

At a recent visit to a mall in Bellevue, seven of eight spaces serving four EVSEs, five were ICEd, two were blocked by LEAFs not plugged in. I lucked out and got slot #8. Otherwise, it would have meant crusing around unfamiliar clogged city streets trying to find another.
On a much happier note than being ICE'd by plugin's that aren't charging, I stopped by the mall on the way home a couple weeks ago. This mall only has a single L2 ... a conversion from one of the old style (legacy) chargers. I try to always use my home-made "unplug me" if you need to - courtesty placard. Sure enough ... right at noon (placard has a paperclip showing time of day it's OK to unplug ... ) I got an e-mail alert that, "Charging Stopped". Returned to the Leaf an hour later and saw the other Leaf that had unplugged me - when my placard stated it was OK. That's the 1st time it worked!

hill said:
ebill3 said:
hill said:
Me too.

On a much happier note than being ICE'd by plugin's that aren't charging, I stopped by the mall on the way home a couple weeks ago. This mall only has a single L2 ... a conversion from one of the old style (legacy) chargers. I try to always use my home-made "unplug me" if you need to - courtesty placard. Sure enough ... right at noon (placard has a paperclip showing time of day it's OK to unplug ... ) I got an e-mail alert that, "Charging Stopped". Returned to the Leaf an hour later and saw the other Leaf that had unplugged me - when my placard stated it was OK. That's the 1st time it worked!

I still use the same dash placard.

Isn't unplugging now illegal in CA?

And potentially, putting the unplugged car at risk of citation and towing?

edatoakrun said:
Isn't unplugging now illegal in CA?

And potentially, putting the unplugged car at risk of citation and towing?
Very few sites have the required signage to make that happen.

Back