Leaf is Totally Dead - No warning. Resolved see page 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lencap

I got ready to leave for work and the car was totally dead. Couldn't get anything to work, even the dash was dark. Couldn't open the front charging port. Car is 6 weeks old with 1200 miles. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Called dealer, he said to call Nissan Roadside assistance. Waiting for flatbed, about an hour wait.

The car was fine last night, had about a 45% charge when I returned home, GOM showed about 40 miles of range, as I recall. Car drove fine last night. Didn't charge overnight, didn't see the need to.

Reliability is key to me - this isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling today.

Any ideas?

Probably another case of accidentally double-pressing the On/Off button, putting the car into ACC...

Nissan REALLY needs to disable that possibility and require a minimum timeout between OFF and ACC.

Most likely, you accidently did not get the car turned off completely,
and left the car in the Accessory mode (center console On).
That is the most common mistake for a new owner.

Measure the 12v battery voltage if you can.
Normally, it would be over 12 volts.

Connect a 12v charger to the car's 12v battery according to
the instructions in the user manual, and you will most likely
be able to turn the car On (to Ready mide) right away.

Actually, getting a "jump" from another car's 12v battery
should work, without the other car running.
The tow truck might be able to do that.

RegGuheert said:
Probably another case of accidentally double-pressing the On/Off button, putting the car into ACC...

Nissan REALLY needs to disable that possibility and require a minimum timeout between OFF and ACC.

But the center console lights up, so how can you not see that?
There does seem to be a lot of dead 12v batts, but I wouldn't say it's anymore than the 2011/12's: it's getting HOT. My 12v LiFePO is doing fine @13.2v :D

Since it takes the center console several seconds to
light up, and you are typically on the way out the door
by then, the left-on Nav screen often goes un-noticed.

Almost every owner has accidently left the Nav screen
On at least once, although some actually noticed it
before leaving the car.

Tow truck arrived - put charger on 12 volt battery and that seemed to work to get the car in neutral for towing. At dealer now. Getting a loaner.

Could've left it in ACC, but car appeared fully off when I locked it for night.

Will know more later today, but traction battery appeared charged to levels I recall from last night.

garygid said:
before leaving the car.

Yep - I left the whole darned car on by doing this one time. Came back to it 8 hours later when ready to leave work and found the car was still on. Fortunately I did not have the climate control on. I lost about 2 bars of range for it, too.

I've double punched the On/Off button a couple of times too, but noticed my error and corrected it. I think I read (for 2011) that if you wanted ACC that your foot should be off the brake and then double punch the button. I agree a better way to turn on the ACC for the radio, electric windows, etc. ought to be found.

RegGuheert said:
Probably another case of accidentally double-pressing the On/Off button, putting the car into ACC...Nissan REALLY needs to disable that possibility and require a minimum timeout between OFF and ACC.

This. You would have thought Nissan would have built in a fail safe against this happening by now.

lencap said:
Tow truck arrived - put charger on 12 volt battery and that seemed to work to get the car in neutral for towing. At dealer now. Getting a loaner.

Could've left it in ACC, but car appeared fully off when I locked it for night.

Will know more later today, but traction battery appeared charged to levels I recall from last night.

Once the 12V was connected did you see how many bars you had? Did you attempt to charge it before it was towed?

adric22 said:
garygid said:
before leaving the car.

Yep - I left the whole darned car on by doing this one time. Came back to it 8 hours later when ready to leave work and found the car was still on. Fortunately I did not have the climate control on. I lost about 2 bars of range for it, too.

This is my thought. If OP had 5 bars how did it run the main battery dead in just one night?

smkettner said:
This is my thought. If OP had 5 bars how did it run the main battery dead in just one night?
If you're in ACC mode rather than ON mode, the car runs off the 12v battery only. You could run it down fairly quickly.

LTLFTcomposite said:
That would be a handy text message alert for the car to send... "I haven't moved in half an hour but I'm still turned on!"

sounds like a good idea to me, maybe make it configurable between 10 and 60 minutes?

At the risk of jinxing it, I've never accidentally left the car on. I learned to keep my foot on the brake when starting/stopping cars. The extra time the car takes to boot up is used to move my seat, fasten my seat belt, turn off the parking brake (yes, I still do that manually), and push the "OK" button all in that order. Exiting the car is similar: Push P for park, pull parking brake, push "OFF" button, remove foot from brake, unclip seat belt, slide seat back, open door, and ease out without getting shocked with static electricity.

Reddy said:
At the risk of jinxing it, I've never accidentally left the car on. I learned to keep my foot on the brake when starting/stopping cars. ...
Keeping your foot on the brake won't keep this from happening. If you stutter on the power button the car will cycle back on. If your foot is on the brake it may (or may not) end up in "ON" mode instead of "ACC" mode, but it won't be "off".

Dealer said 12v battery was defective; being replaced under warranty. I'll have more info when I pick up the car later today.

Back