LEAF Navigation System - New or Old & Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
LEAFguy said:
You will notice the open/tilt button on the lower right of the display. This will tilt open the display giving access to the cd player behind it, and likely will offer several tilt positions to optimize driver visibility.

Is this available in current Nissan options ?

I'm sure they have modified firmware for Nav - but I still think it is highly unlikely the hardware (esp. the LCD) is not one of the existing options.

ps : moved nav discussions to this thread.

The 2010 Altima has tilt screen functionality. The hardware interface is totally unique to LEAF. While the touchscreen may be similar to other Nissan models, they already come in various sizes. This looks to be at least 6.5"-7" diagonal. Functionally, what is behind the dash may be very similar to other Nissan models.

I just noticed the questions from the OP. Here's a shot at answering some of them:

The Map Data:
1. What is the source of the data? Navquest provides data for all other Nissan nav systems.
2. How complete is the coverage? Comparable to any nav system you might use today.
3. How often updated, and how? Generally annually. If hard-drive based, via dealer service.
4. Data held in flash memory, DVD, or where? Likely hard-drive based.
5. Are speed limits included? Likely. Most recent Nissan hard-drive system, the answer is yes.

Points of Interest Data:
1. Approximately how many for the USA? No idea. More than most portable systems.
2. How up to date are they? Not a live update (except for charging stations). Updated with nav data.
3. Can many User-POI be added easily? No idea.
4. If so, how, and what format?

GPS chip:
1. What chipset is used?
2. Is it high-sensitivity?
3. Where is the GPS antenna?
4. If "remote", is it a powered antenna, or passive?

Nav Functions:
1. What User-Options are available?
2. Display of relative satellite locations and signal strengths?
3. Multi-point Routing? Likely several waypoints.
4. Use of Traffic data, and from XM only? Probably.
5. 3-D perspective display, or only "map"? Probably both.
6. Quick route recalculation when off-route? Very quick.
7. Shows speed, direction, location longitude, latitude, time, etc.? Probably.

Other Functions:
1. Is there significant voice input to more safely use the Nav/POI sysrem? Probably.
2. Will the POI locator dial the phone? Probably.
3. Can one locate POI near another location? Probably.

All of the probably answers above are not definitive as I haven't seen the system. All of this functionality exists in current Nissan nav systems.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of the 2010 Altima hard drive nav system in operation.

SanDust said:
As an FYI, with respect to your note that "one" of the two will be able to send a text message, the Volt connectivity may well be better than the Leaf's. You can connect to the Volt using either an iPhone or an Android phone, and yes it will remind you if you haven't plugged in. More interestingly, the Volt will use Google Navigation. Not sure if the Leaf will use this phenomenal tool but I haven't read anything about it, and the fact Nissan is wed to ATT may result in some limitations.

Like I said, both these cars will have their place.

Google Navigation has nowhere near the capability of CARWINGS. Look into it- it has won many awards in Japan. The system is very smart and updates not just on traffic, but also on other user's speed and fuel consumption along the route, allowing you to pick the quickest or most efficient route with real time updates. It uses both current user data and historical data to both speed commutes and reduce fuel consumption

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/PDF/TECHNOLOGY/TECHNICAL/carwings_en.pdf
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/its.html
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/ems.html

AT&T ended up with the account due to using GSM, making it compatible with global markets.

lne937s said:
Google Navigation has nowhere near the capability of CARWINGS. Look into it- it has won many awards in Japan. The system is very smart and updates not just on traffic, but also on other user's speed and fuel consumption along the route, allowing you to pick the quickest or most efficient route with real time updates. It uses both current user data and historical data to both speed commutes and reduce fuel consumption

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/PDF/TECHNOLOGY/TECHNICAL/carwings_en.pdf
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/its.html
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/ems.html

AT&T ended up with the account due to using GSM, making it compatible with global markets.

The Nissan LEAF has traffic in the GPS???? If that's true that's AWESOME.

leaffan said:
Your bashing part, which you failed to mention, was when you said people would see us along side of the road without any juice. THAT is your ignorant comment.
Sorry, I was giving you credit for a higher level of reading comprehension than you have. Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say I thought Leaf drivers were going to end up stranded by the side of the road -- I don't that is likely at all. I simply offered what Volt fans say as a counterpoint to your equally misguided comments.

lne937s said:
Google Navigation has nowhere near the capability of CARWINGS. Look into it- it has won many awards in Japan.

I haven't used CARWINGS, and of course you don't know until you try, but looking at your cites I think the Volt with ONSTAR (for turn by turn directions, etc.) and Google Navigation will be superior. Google Navigation has real time traffic as well as really nice extras like Satellite and Street View. It also has a completely awesome voice system where you can ask for directions to something like "The Fine Arts Museum in Pasadena, CA" and it either gives it to you or gives you a list. You can also ask for something like "The Art Museum that has the Picasso Exhibit in Atlanta Georgia" and it will find it. It's a truly amazing demonstration of what you can do with real time information.

I'm not seeing these things in CARWINGS but perhaps I missed that. And most times a standard navigation system will do the job. But Google Navigation is such a step up from standard navigation systems that it does make a difference.

I understand that Nissan went with ATT because it uses GSM. Makes perfect sense. However, that doesn't mean it's the best choice from a North American standpoint.

SanDust said:
It's a truly amazing demonstration of what you can do with real time information.

The problem is the traffic info isn't truly realtime. Checkout gps forums ...

BTW, Google, Bing, Garmin, Tomtom etc etc everyone gets traffic info from specific 3rd party providers. The information is only as good as those guys would provide ...

evnow said:
The problem is the traffic info isn't truly realtime. Checkout gps forums ...

BTW, Google, Bing, Garmin, Tomtom etc etc everyone gets traffic info from specific 3rd party providers. The information is only as good as those guys would provide ...
I wasn't referring to the real time traffic reports. For a number of reasons I personally haven't found those very useful. I was talking about the directions. Those I find to be incredibly helpful, and Google Navigation is a big step up from what I've seen. It blows my nav system, which was state of the art four years ago, away.

My guess is that you haven't yet used Google Navigation cause it's very hard not to be very impressed.

SanDust said:
My guess is that you haven't yet used Google Navigation cause it's very hard not to be very impressed.

I'm new to Nav systems - just got a Garmin.

Is Google Nav any different from the directions you get on the web ?

ps : I'm moving the Nav stuff to the relevent thread.

SanDust said:
lne937s said:
Google Navigation has nowhere near the capability of CARWINGS. Look into it- it has won many awards in Japan.

I haven't used CARWINGS, and of course you don't know until you try, but looking at your cites I think the Volt with ONSTAR (for turn by turn directions, etc.) and Google Navigation will be superior. Google Navigation has real time traffic as well as really nice extras like Satellite and Street View. It also has a completely awesome voice system where you can ask for directions to something like "The Fine Arts Museum in Pasadena, CA" and it either gives it to you or gives you a list. You can also ask for something like "The Art Museum that has the Picasso Exhibit in Atlanta Georgia" and it will find it. It's a truly amazing demonstration of what you can do with real time information.

I'm not seeing these things in CARWINGS but perhaps I missed that. And most times a standard navigation system will do the job. But Google Navigation is such a step up from standard navigation systems that it does make a difference.

I understand that Nissan went with ATT because it uses GSM. Makes perfect sense. However, that doesn't mean it's the best choice from a North American standpoint.

The big thing about CARWINGS is it uses historical and live vehicle data (energy consumption, speed, etc.) from every vehicle using the system to calculate routes, in addition to your standard GPS with traffic updates. It has been tested to show significant improvements in fuel economy in previous iterations, and the LEAF takes it to a new level. In some applications it can slow the vehicle for sharp turns. It is connected to cell phone systems and can warn the driver if someone carrying a cell phone steps in front of you. It also has voice comands, connectivity to your cell phone, connectivity to your computer, connectivity to other users (if you so desire). It can look up popular destinations as well. I have some experience with google navigation, and it has some bells and wistles but is nowhere near that kind of functunality.

In its full implimentation, CARWINGS has been awarded green technology awards (available for all automotive technology) for being the most advanced automotive navigation system to date. Japan has had it for a few years, now we can get it in the LEAF.

And another thing that's pretty cool: if another car using the system is driving down the road detects slip in its traction control/ABS system, the GPS system updates, warning other drivers using the system of potential slippery road surfaces...

lne937s said:
And another thing that's pretty cool: if another car using the system is driving down the road detects slip in its traction control/ABS system, the GPS system updates, warning other drivers using the system of potential slippery road surfaces...

That's pretty neat. We're sure the LEAF is getting this? They haven't talked about it at all have they?

One thing to be aware of with nav systems (even within one manufacturer in differing markets)... it is like going into a restaurant and ordering from a menu. The system may be capable of doing 150 different things. But if you only order it with 75 functions, that is all that the system will have. My point is this - the CARWINGS system as implemented in the US may be significantly different than the same system as implemented in Japan. We won't know until we either have an owner's manual to look at, or spend some time with the system.

Nissan has CARWINGS listed under "Features and Specifications" on their website for the Leaf

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index?dealer_code=322#/leaf-electric-car/specs-features/index

Does anyone know / think this will come with a HDD ? That would be nice - I can load a part of my music collection instead of listening to FM Jazz.

evnow said:
Does anyone know / think this will come with a HDD ? That would be nice - I can load a part of my music collection instead of listening to FM Jazz.

Agreed, a hard drive would be great. There is a post on this thread of the 2010 Nissan Altima navigation head unit that has a hard drive that CDs can be ripped to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-CK3CCb2Bo I assume that mp3 and other music files could be copied to it via USB. If Nissan is offering this new navigation head unit in a Altima, I sure hope they would offer something at least as capable in the Leaf.

LEAFguy said:
One thing to be aware of with nav systems (even within one manufacturer in differing markets)... it is like going into a restaurant and ordering from a menu. The system may be capable of doing 150 different things. But if you only order it with 75 functions, that is all that the system will have. My point is this - the CARWINGS system as implemented in the US may be significantly different than the same system as implemented in Japan. We won't know until we either have an owner's manual to look at, or spend some time with the system.

I think the one thing we need to keep in mind is that CARWINGS uses data from cars that have the CARWINGS system. Untill there is enough density of vehicles with the system, some of the features will not work very well and it probably isn't wise for Nissan to advertise them heavily initially. In terms of some of the things like pedestian warning, since the US is not standardized to GSM, I doubt it will be implimented here.

Back