Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agkirk said:
Not sure when you add the Ambient Temp display but it was recently brought to my attention, as well as the ability to "calibrate" that display. My 2015 Leaf dash display was about 10 degrees lower so I cranked in -5 in the cal block. I'm still high by 5 degrees, what am I missing? And where does the data for the LSP Ambient Temp display get generated?

Thanks
The next release will allow +/-10 degree adjustment. Be sure you let the Leaf sit at the same temperature for an hour just to be sure the Dash display has stabilized.

LeafSpy reads the raw data from the CAN bus. The Dash display uses that but adds a lot of delay so the reading will take a while to reflect the current outside temperature. Were as LeafSpy responds immediately to any change.

mjblazin said:
I just had my 15K multipoint check that includes tire rotation. I am pretty sure they did it because the sensors that were in front are now in the rear, per the LeafSpy. I found this when I tried to correct psi imbalance and filled wrong tires.

Is that something I correct post rotation, take as indication of something not done at dealer or just live with it, acting as Front and Rear switched?
Somehow I missed seeing your post but as you have just found out the new 0.37.77 version of LeafSpy Pro now lets you swap tire positions within the app instead of having to do a full tire registration to get the positions show correctly.

Small glitch, even if the app is set to display temperature in C, the outside temperature is displayed in F. (the battery temp displays correctly)

muus said:
Small glitch, even if the app is set to display temperature in C, the outside temperature is displayed in F. (the battery temp displays correctly)
The outside temperature can only be displayed in the default units of the Leaf. I believe there is a statement in the help file about that.

Basically LeafSpy displays the value on the CAN Bus which is a raw value in the default units. LeafSpy does not know the default units so just displays what it reads.

Normally the CAN Bus units don't change based on the country default or dash settings. For example the odometer value on the CAN Bus is always in km. But for some reason Nissan is handling the raw outside temperature reading differently.

At the moment I don't know how to tell what units the raw temperature is being sent in which is why it is just displayed as is without any conversion.

I bought the LYL® WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader a long time ago, and never got around to doing anything with it. I have an iphone (two actually, both iphone 4's but one is running IOS6 and one is running IOS7...and an iPad running IOS8) Haven't purchased any Apps yet.

I'd like to figure out the state of my battery - I know the recipe for what to do with the device, which App to get, how to get them talking etc is buried in here somewhere, probably many times over, but I never saved it when I ordered the interface - would someone merciful soul give me the quick idiot's step by step for exactly what I should do now, or help me find the canonical post?

Thanks,

Wade

if this is not an option, don't worry about but was there not a link to download a LEAF Spy operating manual? I have a few people who are interested in it but want more details on how to configure it, etc.

Turbo3 said:
muus said:
The outside temperature can only be displayed in the default units of the Leaf. I believe there is a statement in the help file about that.

Basically LeafSpy displays the value on the CAN Bus which is a raw value in the default units. LeafSpy does not know the default units so just displays what it reads.

Normally the CAN Bus units don't change based on the country default or dash settings. For example the odometer value on the CAN Bus is always in km. But for some reason Nissan is handling the raw outside temperature reading differently.

At the moment I don't know how to tell what units the raw temperature is being sent in which is why it is just displayed as is without any conversion.

Thanks for the explanation... pretty odd. No worries, the temperature is clearly displayed on the dash.

DaveinOlyWA said:
if this is not an option, don't worry about but was there not a link to download a LEAF Spy operating manual? I have a few people who are interested in it but want more details on how to configure it, etc.
As explained in the built-in help you can request a PDF version of the Help file for either Android or iOS by sending a request to [email protected]. Just specify which one you want (Android/iOS).

wsbca said:
I bought the LYL® WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader a long time ago, and never got around to doing anything with it. I have an iphone (two actually, both iphone 4's but one is running IOS6 and one is running IOS7...and an iPad running IOS8) Haven't purchased any Apps yet.

I'd like to figure out the state of my battery - I know the recipe for what to do with the device, which App to get, how to get them talking etc is buried in here somewhere, probably many times over, but I never saved it when I ordered the interface - would someone merciful soul give me the quick idiot's step by step for exactly what I should do now, or help me find the canonical post?

Thanks,

Wade
If you send a request to [email protected] requesting the iOS PDF Help file that has instructions for setting up an iPhone running iOS 7 or higher to use a WiFi OBDII adapter.

Turbo3 said:

I can imagine figuring this out like this: The first time it gets the the raw temperature from the CAN Bus, you can ask the device what the local temperature is, and use C or F based upon which is closer. If the device doesn't have it's own thermometer, you can use something like the Wunderground or AccuWeather API to query the temperature based upon the current location.

jlv said:
Turbo3 said:

I can imagine figuring this out like this: The first time it gets the the raw temperature from the CAN Bus, you can ask the device what the local temperature is, and use C or F based upon which is closer. If the device doesn't have it's own thermometer, you can use something like the Wunderground or AccuWeather API to query the temperature based upon the current location.
There might not be a network link and it could still be wrong if when the test is run (I am not going to do this every cycle) the Leaf is in a garage at a totally different temperature.

The Leaf VIN/Registration number might be a better way if there is correlation with the outside temperature units used.

Test Version 0.37.78 removed the Charging Graph save function because it now automatically saves the graph.

Does it only do this when charging completes?

I don't see any setting for save frequency?

I am still using Bluetooth adapter, and removal of Save button has eliminated the ability to save the early start of the graph which I often did.

I know I should buy WiFi adapter and plan to.
But even with WiFi adapter seems like Save function is needed in case you are leaving the WiFi range?

Would be nice if app could save start of charging, and then later if you come back in range and are still charging append new info to the graph.
Of course it will not know the right time scale so it would have to indicate overall time scale is unknown.

Thanks again for your impressive efforts on LEAF Spy Pro.
I am surprised the Android Play store shows only ~1,000 users.
Anyone with a LEAF and a smart phone should get this excellent application.

What is the EV setup recommended for collecting the Charging Data? I have put mine in, I'm guessing Standby (foot off brake pedal and Start Button depressed) but worry about everything in the EV being on all night. Maybe nothing to worry about...but!

Agkirk said:
What is the EV setup recommended for collecting the Charging Data? I have put mine in, I'm guessing Standby (foot off brake pedal and Start Button depressed) but worry about everything in the EV being on all night. Maybe nothing to worry about...but!
That is a good question. The newer model Leafs operate a little differently in that the VCM does not respond to CAN requests for information while charging when the Leaf is off.

If I recall correctly, during testing on a new model Leaf I found that if I started LeafSpy before turning the Leaf off I could keep the VCM from going into this state so a later charge session could be recorded.

Give that a try and see if it still works.

Leaf Spy is recording my charge on the 2015 as I type. Leaf Spy was on when I turned off the car so that must have kept the VCM and CAN bus active. I did not realize there was a difference between the 2011 and 2015 because I have always had Leaf Spy running when I turned off the car if I wanted to record charge data.

Gerry

Under settings, range, i can select % SOC Reserved.
But on the main screen 4 it seems like DTE is based on GIDs, even on the last selectable DTE

In settings the text should be " % GIDs Reserved" instead of " % SOC Reserved"
?

LeafSwe said:
Under settings, range, i can select % SOC Reserved.
But on the main screen 4 it seems like DTE is based on GIDs, even on the last selectable DTE

In settings the text should be " % GIDs Reserved" instead of " % SOC Reserved"
?
Good find. What it is actually based on is not Gids but on one of two fixed kWh values depending on whether you have selected the Alternative calculation method that includes temperatures or the straight method.

If you have selected the Alternative method the percentage reserved is from a fixed 21 kWh battery. If that is not selected then it is a percentage from a 22.48 kWh battery .

So the labeling is not really correct. The concept is you want to reserve a fixed amount of energy to be the reserve. If it was actually based on SOC that amount would actually get smaller and smaller as the battery aged meaning you risk the Leaf going into Turtle mode the older the battery gets.

Hmmm! I'm still confused on how to collect the charge data. In my 2015 S Leaf, if I turn the EV off with LSP running on a Motorola Droid, LSP notifies me that BT connectivity has been lost. No data is subsequently collected. If I then plug the EV into the EVSE, the EV starts charging but the BT connection is not restored. What am I doing wrong; as a previous post implies the connection to the LSP is restored when charging with the car off.

Also, I need my pea brain refreshed about when the data log for the charge data is recorded. When I review the charge data within LSP and use the SAVE/LOAD feature and select SAVE from the dropdown, I am cautioned that an existing log will be overwritten. I usually back out but am never quit sure when the file is really written, when I shut LSP down or when I closed the Droid's operation. I have always found the file just don't know exactly caused it to be written.

Thanks

Back