Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agkirk said:
Hmmm! I'm still confused on how to collect the charge data. In my 2015 S Leaf, if I turn the EV off with LSP running on a Motorola Droid, LSP notifies me that BT connectivity has been lost. No data is subsequently collected. If I then plug the EV into the EVSE, the EV starts charging but the BT connection is not restored. What am I doing wrong; as a previous post implies the connection to the LSP is restored when charging with the car off.

Also, I need my pea brain refreshed about when the data log for the charge data is recorded. When I review the charge data within LSP and use the SAVE/LOAD feature and select SAVE from the dropdown, I am cautioned that an existing log will be overwritten. I usually back out but am never quit sure when the file is really written, when I shut LSP down or when I closed the Droid's operation. I have always found the file just don't know exactly caused it to be written.

Thanks
If the Bluetooth connection has really been lost that would seem to indicate your OBDII adapter is NOT being powered by the always on 12 volt line but the 12 volt line that is only active when the Leaf is on. If that is the case that will need to be corrected. The OBDII adapter needs to be powered all the time to allow for charge logging.

When you power off the Leaf you should only loss the link between the OBDII adapter and the Leaf not the Bluetooth link (should loop between states 10 to 14).

When a charge ends the file is automatically saved so if you try to save it again you will get that warning message.

That's it! I did modify my OBDII so it ran off the switched 12v. I may go back to the original configuration and not worry about the small amount of current it draws all the time.
Thanks

Charging my '14 SL with the heat on and an outside temp of 42F, Leaf Spy showed a power draw for the A/C but not the heater. Finally dawned on me that the "A/C" power was actually for the heat pump. Guess it'd be nitpicking to wonder if, in that circumstance, the "A/C" column label could be overwritten with something like "HPu"...

DaveInAvl said:
Charging my '14 SL with the heat on and an outside temp of 42F, Leaf Spy showed a power draw for the A/C but not the heater. Finally dawned on me that the "A/C" power was actually for the heat pump. Guess it'd be nitpicking to wonder if, in that circumstance, the "A/C" column label could be overwritten with something like "HPu"...
The A/C power number is for the compressor which in the newer models can be used to heat or cool the interior. The Heat power number above it is for the PTC Heater which all models have.

dhanson865 said:
Maybe change A/C to AC/HP?
Too many characters. The value displayed is for the same piece of hardware, the compressor. There is only one compressor in a Leaf. There is just additional plumbing to dump the heat extracted from cooling the outside air to the interior instead of the other way around to cool the interior air.

1. I have the Konnwei adapter. It sticks out quite a bit. Is there a lower profile one?

2. On my Bat Sts screen my cells are mostly red after a L2 100% charge (blue run down to 40%) but all blue after QC 80%. Does the QC inherently balance better?

I bought this one for $7 and it works. Shipped quickly from China (so about 10 days).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-OBD2-OBDII-ELM327-v1-5-Android-Bluetooth-Adapter-Auto-Scanner-Torque-J1-/301592953251?hash=item46385741a3

Agkirk said:
I bought this one for $7 and it works. Shipped quickly from China (so about 10 days).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-OBD2-OBDII-ELM327-v1-5-Android-Bluetooth-Adapter-Auto-Scanner-Torque-J1-/301592953251?hash=item46385741a3
Thanks, ordered!

Still having issues with the trip reset feature. It is set to manual for charge and drive.. But when you tap it it doesn't go to zero. It goes to what seems to be an arbitrary value and the reset button disappears.. Not like the version I downloaded last fall..

Are SOH always related to AHr?
Have a forum friend i Norway and his SOH shows 91% when AHr shows 58,90. And still 91% SOH when AHr has rised to 62,80
Something wrong here?

image.jpg

LeafSwe said:
Have a forum friend i Norway and his SOH shows 91% when AHr shows 58,90. And still 91% SOH when AHr has rised to 62,80
Something wrong here?

image.jpg

aHr is related to temperature of the battery to some degree. SOH can rise or fall but not nearly as quickly as aHr will.

Keep the car in a AC/heated garage kept near 20C for a few days (with no driving but a bit of power cycling and charging as needed) and you should have solid readings to go by. Otherwise just wait for the right time of year and keep in mind you readings will fluctuate with the weather.

TonyWilliams said:
The ACTUAL stored energy that is useable to you varies with GIDs and that value varies with temperature. So, there is no singular magic hard number, but we use 21kWh useable at 70F for 281 GID. When the battery is hotter or colder, the kWh changes. I use a rule of thumb of 1% loss for each 4F degrees below 70F, and 1% gain for each 8F degrees hotter.

Having trouble getting Leaf Spy to talk to my adapter. I bought this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301590811200?

and I am able to pair it. However when I try to use it with Leaf Spy I get the following error:

[BtS] read failed, socket might closed or timeout

Here's the complete error log:

10/08/2015 12:18:44 00 000 NaN Step 0 - BtAdmin already Initialized MacAdr = 00:00:00:08:86:8F
10/08/2015 12:18:44 00 000 NaN Step 1 - Using_WiFi=false Bluetooth=false WiFi=true
10/08/2015 12:18:44 00 000 NaN Step 2a - Auto Turning ON Bluetooth
10/08/2015 12:18:48 11 000 NaN Step 2b - Bluetooth now ON
10/08/2015 12:18:48 13 000 NaN Step 3 - BtConnect: Trying to connect to BT device 00:00:00:08:86:8F 1 (Wait for interrupt)
10/08/2015 12:18:51 13 000 NaN Select_MAC = '00:00:00:08:86:8F'
10/08/2015 12:18:51 13 000 NaN Displaying Pairing Dialog
10/08/2015 12:18:52 13 000 NaN Step 3 - BtConnect: Trying to connect to BT device 00:00:00:08:86:8F 1 (Wait for interrupt)
10/08/2015 12:18:52 13 000 NaN [BtS] read failed, socket might closed or timeout, read ret: -1
10/08/2015 12:18:52 09 000 NaN Step 4 - 0 sec. Failed to connect to Serial Port 1 00:00:00:08:86:8F
10/08/2015 12:18:52 09 000 NaN [BtS] read failed, socket might closed or timeout, read ret: -1
10/08/2015 12:18:52 09 000 NaN Step 4 - 0 sec. Failed to connect to Serial Port 1 00:00:00:08:86:8F
10/08/2015 12:19:08 10 000 NaN Step 6 - Turning OFF Bluetooth
10/08/2015 12:19:08 10 000 NaN Step 5 - Closing AStream & Disconect Bluetooth

My LSP is working great!

I'm looking for enhancements to display the logged data. Anyone know of an application that could take as an input some or all of the LSP log data with GPS on and display on a map the track with the ability to roll over any point on the track and see the data at that point in time/location?

Sorry if this is already asked in the past 133 pages of posts, but didn't find Veepeak in a search: But which version of the Veepeak OBDII scanner would you recommend, BT or WiFi, or it doesn't matter? Or is the Veepeak not recommended. I will be using a Samsung Galaxy S4. thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scanner-Diagnostic-Adapter-diagnostics/dp/B00WPW6BAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444410990&sr=1-1&keywords=veepeak

dhanson865 said:
LeafSwe said:
Something wrong here?

image.jpg

aHr is related to temperature of the battery to some degree. SOH can rise or fall but not nearly as quickly as aHr will.

Keep the car in a AC/heated garage kept near 20C for a few days (with no driving but a bit of power cycling and charging as needed) and you should have solid readings to go by. Otherwise just wait for the right time of year and keep in mind you readings will fluctuate with the weather.

TonyWilliams said:
The ACTUAL stored energy that is useable to you varies with GIDs and that value varies with temperature. So, there is no singular magic hard number, but we use 21kWh useable at 70F for 281 GID. When the battery is hotter or colder, the kWh changes. I use a rule of thumb of 1% loss for each 4F degrees below 70F, and 1% gain for each 8F degrees hotter.

Update om my question.
SOH was stuck at 91% as i wrote abowe regadless of AHr reading.
After reinstalling leafspy SOH started moving again. Jumped to 95% after reinstall.

LeafSwe said:
dhanson865 said:
LeafSwe said:
Something wrong here?

image.jpg

TonyWilliams said:

Update om my question.
SOH was stuck at 91% as i wrote abowe regadless of AHr reading.
After reinstalling leafspy SOH started moving again. Jumped to 95% after reinstall.

That pic looks odd to me, is that IOS leafspy or do you just have a different scheme on your Android?

Back