Leaf Story on CBS Evening news 5/8/10

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efusco

Not sure if the story is posted on the web site yet, I'm watching it right now. Nice long story.

Get this....they quote a 0-60 time of 5 seconds!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/eveningnews/main3420.shtml?tag=hdr;snav

efusco said:
Not sure if the story is posted on the web site yet, I'm watching it right now. Nice long story.

There is no way the Leaf could even come close to that, the numbers don't match. More likely over 8 seconds.

evnow said:
I was trying to find it on that website ... so, I've to wait till tomorrow for that ?

they dont post todays topics until after they air on commercial TV...some sort of contract thing i think with sponsors. probably need to wait until Alaska or Hawaii plays then check it out?

EVDRIVER said:
efusco said:

There is no way the Leaf could even come close to that, the numbers don't match. More likely over 8 seconds.
Here's some clips from the CBS spot. I agree, the accel seems outrageously quick unless it's a much lighter vehicle than we've been led to believe.

The story will probably not post until tomorrow. The local affiliates would be up in arms if they posted before their local broadcasts. They would fear loss of local ad revenues. So, that Hawaii/Alaska timezone will be the gating factor. I will certainly be looking for this!

Notice the EV they show driving around and being plugged into chargers is an older Toyota RAV4EV, probably Vintage 2002/2003 or so...

efusco said:

One glaring mistake they had on the broadcast was that they confused the CA/GA rebate with the $7500 fed tax CREDIT...they listed it as a rebate.

I just saw a bit on Fox News that said if all the 8K pre-orders of the Leaf are driven for a year it will offset all the environmental damage so far from the Gulf oil spill. :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
I just saw a bit on Fox News that said if all the 8K pre-orders of the Leaf are driven for a year it will offset all the environmental damage so far from the Gulf oil spill. :lol:

LOL, indeed. I guess it will bring back all the wild dead animals back to life.

disclaimer; i dont believe the acceleration figures either although the electric motor does provide 100% thruout the entire RPM range so acceleration would be brisk.

but keep in mind, that kind of acceleration kills your range. so the 100 mile range should follow the rule "YMMV"

which means that careful or efficient driving should get more than 100 miles.

I can't believe that bonehead at the end of the story.. "what turns me off is getting out and plugging it in." I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say something similar. Like it is so hard and inconvenient to plug in your car in your garage, but somehow driving out of your way to a gas station and sitting there in the cold wind or hot sun or rain while it fills up, that is convenient somehow?

Hey, some people will just never get it so don't bother -- years ago, some drove 2-cycle gas engines that required you to pre-mix the fuel with 2-stroke oil (think Saab's from the '50's and early '60's) ! and now we have some modern diesels (BlueTec) that require you to have a separate urea tank filled by the dealer or the car will quit working so 'plugging in' each night is really no less of a hassle, and of course less time consuming then going to a gas station. I myself went for a battery powered mower awhile back when my old gas Honda mower finally gave up (would love to see this converted to the latest battery tech) as well as trimmer, etc. so I'm used to plugging it in after each use -- what's the big deal.

redLEAF said:
. I myself went for a battery powered mower awhile back when my old gas Honda mower finally gave up (would love to see this converted to the latest battery tech) as well as trimmer, etc. so I'm used to plugging it in after each use -- what's the big deal.

Yep - I also have battery powered lawn mower and weed-whacker for the last several years too. It is SO convenient to just flip a switch and it starts.. no messing with gas, oil, or breaking my back and shoulder trying to start them. I'd say the convenience of that far outweighs the inconvenience of plugging them in. I'd say the same is true for a car. I'd much rather spend the time to plug it in inside the comfort of my own garage, than have to drive to a gas-station.

I'm sure some people would prefer to pour gas into their cell phone too, if they could. They would have the loudest, fastest cell phone around.

Back