LEAF to get 6.6kW charger in 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I heard about this last night, but just thought it was a bit of idle gossip (though if anyone were to know, my source for it would be amongst them). But, anyway, confirmed today by Nashville types that the LEAF is to get a 6.6kW charger for 2013:

Then, for 2013, the Leaf's onboard 240-Volt Level 2 charger will be upgraded to 6.6 kilowatts (from today's 3.3 kW), considerably reducing the time needed to recharge the lithium-ion battery.

Nissan's director of product planning, Mark Perry, had said in March that the charger would be upgraded "in a year or so."

Now Katherine Zachary, Nissan's senior manager of corporate communications, has confirmed that to mean for the 2013 model year.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1063015_nissan-leaf-news-electric-car-updates-coming-for-2012-2013

Good to see the roadmap. Won't affect me, since virtually all of my charging is done over the course of 3 hours each night. Still, the 6.6 is a positive change for the future, and will be more useful as more public L2 charging stations appear.

Cool. Now Nissan just needs to give us a hint as to whether and upgrade will be possible for existing cars and at what price. Yes, I know it's been discussed many times and dismissed as impractical, but a guy can hope, can't he?

This is good to hear, but I was more excited about it before owning the LEAF for a couple of months, I've found the current L2 in my garage to be more than enough for around town. My only reason for the bit of public charging I've done so far is for show to support the development of the network. I dont see a need to convert down the line to 6.6. We've got our eyes set on L3 as that is what will make going outside the current range convenient enough to be practical.

WE NEED L3 ALL UP AND DOWN I-5, PRETTY PLEASE!

Then out 2 and 90!

G

mwalsh said:
I heard about this last night, but just thought it was a bit of idle gossip (though if anyone were to know, my source for it would be amongst them). But, anyway, confirmed today by Nashville types that the LEAF is to get a 6.6kW charger for 2013:

Then, for 2013, the Leaf's onboard 240-Volt Level 2 charger will be upgraded to 6.6 kilowatts (from today's 3.3 kW), considerably reducing the time needed to recharge the lithium-ion battery.

Nissan's director of product planning, Mark Perry, had said in March that the charger would be upgraded "in a year or so."

Now Katherine Zachary, Nissan's senior manager of corporate communications, has confirmed that to mean for the 2013 model year.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1063015_nissan-leaf-news-electric-car-updates-coming-for-2012-2013

This is seriously hot news, mwalsh! IMO, Nissan should have done it for the 2012 MY to avoid giving Ford bragging rights as they battle for early adopters in the new roll out states. People are easily confused by EV claims and I've already had someone tell me that the Ford Focus EV will have twice the range as the LEAF, instead of half the charging time. Nissan should have moved more quickly, as opinions are formed a year or more ahead of the purchase in this emerging market.

Boomer23 said:
IMO, Nissan should have done it for the 2012 MY to avoid giving Ford bragging rights as they battle for early adopters in the new roll out states. People are easily confused by EV claims and I've already had someone tell me that the Ford Focus EV will have twice the range as the LEAF, instead of half the charging time. Nissan should have moved more quickly, as opinions are formed a year or more ahead of the purchase in this emerging market.

I completely agree. AND it would have been nice for a commitment when it comes to the retrofitting of our own cars.

This is good news and expected. But Nissan seriously needs to step up the timetable for this upgrade, as they risk losing face to Ford which is putting a 6.6KW charger in their cars next year.

Opinions are easy to make, hard to change; manny people still dont understand the my Leaf is gas free, they think it is a hybrid no matter how many times i say it takes no gas.

As for the upgrade to a 6.6kw charger, I'll pay for that ASAP. That should motivate Nissan and the dealers, some good old fashion parts and service profit :)

mwalsh said:
Boomer23 said:
IMO, Nissan should have done it for the 2012 MY to avoid giving Ford bragging rights as they battle for early adopters in the new roll out states. People are easily confused by EV claims and I've already had someone tell me that the Ford Focus EV will have twice the range as the LEAF, instead of half the charging time. Nissan should have moved more quickly, as opinions are formed a year or more ahead of the purchase in this emerging market.

I completely agree. AND it would have been nice for a commitment when it comes to the retrofitting of our own cars.

I have doubts that an upgrade will be practical or even needed in most situations. I expect these improvements will continue every couple years so that we can trade up. This bolsters new sales and creates a used market. Those that lease will probably be first to move up each cycle.

Great news if Nissan will offer a low cost upgrade option for their early adopters.

For me, if the cost is prohibitive, I rather save it for a future new technology battery.

As for having the proper cooling capacity to handle the 6.6 versus the current 3.3, what if you paid to get the 400 volt dc adapter on your car? I would think that if cooling were an issue that allowing the battery to be charged to 80% in 30 minutes would pose a cooling problem if there was one. So going to a 6.6 charger should not be an issue, since it would charge 80% in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The big question would be how much would it cost to upgrade. I don't think it would be a really easy remove and replace.
Manny

I think they have to address upgrades and reservation timing quickly. As a reservation holder in a Wave 5 state we aren't going to even get a crack at ordering until late Spring 2012 with deliver maybe early Fall. It seems like a lot of Wave 5 folks would pass on their reservation and wait until the 2013's came out - which is about the same time. There's also indications of other upgrades and a lower price for 2013's.

1. The 6.6 charger will PROBABLY be installed in the front (not in the back "hump") where cables are shorter and cooling is easier.

2. The 6.6 charger is unlikely to substantially change LEAF usage/charging patterns.

3. The 6.6 DOES allow more/most over-night charging to be done in the (some places "narrow") Super-Off-Peak "window".

4. Economical, well-placed QC is what is REALLY needed to move EV usage out of the Extended-Neighborhood category.

5. Some MAJOR players/powers do NOT want that to happen, so they will CONTINUE to fight to kill/delay QC infrastructure. They want gasoline to remain NECESSARY for exrended-range travel. THAT is where the real FIGHT is! (IMO)

I think the 6.6kW charger will help a great deal to extend the range at a modest cost. The problem with the QC units is the installation cost. You can install several L2 charging stations for the price of one QC. The 6.6kW units for me would give me about 30 miles per hour of charge. This would mean instead of going 47 miles and having to turn around, we could go 62 miles, have a leisurely meal and then head back. But the problem is we need more L2 charging stations to make that a reality.

Back