LEAF Windshield replacement Dealer or not?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idashark

Hey folks,
My windshield now has a significant crack in it. Fortunately it's on the passenger side, but I want to get it replaced.

With the electronics in the rear view mirror, I'm wondering if I should take it to a dealer or if a regular body shop / window replacement place would be fine.

Suggestions? Pros & cons?

Thanx in advance.

I had to replace the windshield in my previous car soon after I bought it. Iirc, I had it done by "safe lite". They came right out to the house, replaced the windshield quickly for a decent price, and that was that. Never had any problems. Rearview mirror is trivial, imho. Especially for any company that specializes in windshield replacements.

Ditto on safelite. I've always had window work done by them and have never once been disappointed. I actually had them do my LEAF window after being hit by two rocks. The mirror attaches to a bracket which already comes affixed to the new windshield. It's a no brainer.

If the "electronics" you are referring to are the auto-dimming rear mirror, that detaches from the windshield and then will reattach to the new windshield. It is EXTREMELY common on a lot of cars these days and any glass replacing company will be more than capable of performing the task.

I had to have my windshield replaced, within the first few months of ownership, for a crack. Grayhawk Auto Glass did the work, and did a fine job. They replaced it with a Nissan original windshield, which they said they do for cars in the first couple of years. I believe they said that there was no other manufacturer who made the windshield at the time, but that changes after the first year or so.

Be careful. Just had a friend that owns a Leaf take his car in to get the back glass replaced. Got hit by a lawn mower rock and cracked. They use a machine to remove the sealant goo that makes the watertight seal. The technician messed up, and drug part of the removal bit on the paint and created a deep scratch. Big pain to get this fixed, given the batteries in the car.

CarZin said:
Be careful. Just had a friend that owns a Leaf take his car in to get the back glass replaced. Got hit by a lawn mower rock and cracked. They use a machine to remove the sealant goo that makes the watertight seal. The technician messed up, and drug part of the removal bit on the paint and created a deep scratch. Big pain to get this fixed, given the batteries in the car.

Nonsense.

Body repair on the LEAF does require extra precautions, but I had $7,500 front end damage repair done last year.

http://wp.me/p1sK3k-7x

Batteries stayed in the vehicle. Nissan work very closely with the body shops proactively providing the Body Repair Manual prior to shipping parts. Not only are they concerned about the batteries, but also injury due to high voltage components. Nissan have figured this out already.

CarZin said:
Got hit by a lawn mower rock and cracked.

Thats what you get for tailgating a lawn mower!.. I always try to visualize the arc a thrown stone will follow when tailgating someone.

Herm said:
CarZin said:
Got hit by a lawn mower rock and cracked.

Thats what you get for tailgating a lawn mower!.. I always try to visualize the arc a thrown stone will follow when tailgating someone.

So when are we going to be able to buy electric riding mowers?

Sits in the garage all week. Plenty of time to recharge. The mower costs almost as much as the LEAF does to fuel and is the only reason I need take my LEAF to the gas station. I love pulling up to the gas pump in my LEAF and only filing the gas container. I'd love it even more if I didn't need to do that.

They have been around for years, too many issues with the lead-acid batteries for my taste and lithium-ion is still too expensive.

Herm said:
They have been around for years, too many issues with the lead-acid batteries for my taste and lithium-ion is still too expensive.

Nissan may have a load of used lithium-ion batteries coming out of Arizona that could be re-purposed :)

now it is my turn; have a cracked windshield
Is there a difference between factory and 3rd party (is there even a non Nissan windshield)
some people say that the factory one has fine metal coating to keep out the heat?
for Nissan one the dealer wants $1000
for other about $500
is that about right?
thanks

About $500 is what I paid through Safelite. The used a Guardian brand, which the guy told me makes most of the OEM windshields anyway...

Just paid $375 to Bluechip here in Phoenix today. Called at 11, they showed up at wife's office at 2. Beautiful job, very professional. Had Safelite do work in the past, too, and also very good work.

I had mine done a while back by a non-dealer repair shop and I can't tell the difference between the new windshield against the original windshield.

I recommend you get the Nissan OEM windshield for two reasons. First, the huge windshields, that are glued in place, like on LEAF contribute the the structural rigidity of the vehicle. Second, the windshield of the LEAF was tuned, using special components, to filter out high frequency sound from the drivetrain.

philipscoggins said:
JPWhite said:
So when are we going to be able to buy electric riding mowers?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Energy-Matters/New-Electric-Riding-Mower.aspx#axzz2JacTI5Dl

Let me know how it rides.

Although I think instead of EV lawn mowers, we're supposed to change to the electric robotic lawn mowers. I really don't want an unmanned blade spinning machine in my yard just yet...

Philip

Thanks for the link!!

Good to see them providing a estimated cost for replacement batteries. I see they last 3-4 years, so are probably lead acid.

Neat to see electric mowers coming to Home Depot. I suppose they are called BEM's not BEV's.

Back