Leaf won't play nice with Chargepoint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ancient1

Is anyone else having problems using Chargepoint? There never used to be a problem, but the other day I tried to use a Chargepoint facility that has 10 units that I have been using for more than 6 months. 4 of them were servicing Tesla's, and one had an Ioniq 5 - all being charged without a problem. I tried 4 different units (would have tried all 5 vacant ones, but another Tesla pulled in as I was shuffling between units, so I couldn't get to that one) and each one I tried indicated it was ready to go but when I plugged into the car, all 3 blue lights on the dash started blinking, the car sounded off with 3 beeps in a row for several sequences, and then the Chargepoint unit indicated it was no longer charging. It appeared the Chargepoint units were working properly, but the Leaf would not accept the charge. When I got home, I plugged into my wall charger, and everything worked just fine.
I checked my software, and the screen says I am completely up-to-date and have the latest available. I do not have timers activated, as I don't have a regular charging schedule, and prefer to just charge whenever the need arises. I called Chargepoint, and the person I spoke with stated he had heard that their equipment might be having some problems working with the Leaf, but that he would have to escalate the question to his superiors, and someone would get back to me. I have heard nothing since. I would like to continue using the Chargepoint facility, as it is right across the street from my home, and it costs nothing (it is subsidized by the local hospital).
What now?

I had intermittent problems with the free ChargePoint stations at my work. Usually it was on the same station (there were 2) and the symptoms were exactly as you described. I'd say the failure rate was about 1/10 on that station. Sometimes when it happened I would switch stations and it worked but if the other station was full I'd just come back later. Usually it worked the second time but if I just repeatedly plugged in at the same station the odds were 50/50 whether it would work before I gave up after 4-5 attempts.

I often saw other brands charging there without issue so it does seem specific to the Leaf.

If there is some error when plugging in, then the car may not charge (by either unplugging and plugging in again or moving to another charging unit) without either clearing DTC codes (using Leaf Spy) or driving some distance further than just across a parking lot.

FWIW I have only used ChargePoint L2 charging units a few times, but have never had problems with them.

Although I didn't mention the symptom the OP's hitting at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/chargepoint-charger-not-sending-power.268394/#post-6755462, yes, that is a symptom (all 3 blue lights flashing at the same time, synchronized with Leaf's beeping). The beeping and all 3 blue lights flashing cycle will repeat for awhile. If all/most other vehicles have probs charging on that handle too, something's wrong w/the station or the cable or handle.

We have dozens of dual handle https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/ct4000 at my work. From emails it looks like the structure and parking lot where we got all the CT4000s installed went online in Q2 and Q3 of 2015, depending on which area. So, that's how old our stations originally were, before many needed repair, eventually (mostly prior to COVID).

We got to pretty heavily utilization at least a year or two before COVID hit, which then sent everyone home for a very long time (stay at home orders, told not to go to the office, etc.) i don't have utilization stats, but right before COVID, I'm pretty certain every shared space (cluster of 4 spaces around a dual handle EVSE) had each handle charging an average of 2.x to 3.x cars every working day except Wednesday.

There are 8 dual-post stations at this facility,and 2 stand-alone. They are all low power Level 2 (6.2 aH). The connectors on some of the units will "click" in and lock when connected, while the others just slide in without locking. Doesn't seem to affect charging ability either way. I have never seen another car have a problem. Usage is mostly by Tesla's, but I have also seen Bolts, VW ID-4, Hyundai, and also several PHEV models. When I have had problems previously, I have just moved the car to another stall, and it usually works. This time, I tried 4 different stalls, and got the same result each time. In fact, after I left the 1st stall, a Tesla pulled in and hooked up right away, so I know there was not a problem with the Chargepoint system.
There is a You Tube video of a young woman having this same problem with her aunt's Leaf, but she doesn't specify what year or model it is. She states she took it to the dealer, and the dealer hooked it up to a laptop and up-dated the software, which apparently solved the problem. My software status shows as being totally current, so I doubt that a dealer would be able to do anything. Or am I wrong about that?

It's possible that there are 'non-advertised' firmware updates that are available but not considered severe enough to warrant a recall or official firmware revision update.. So while your car may indicate it has up to date firmware, there may be improvements/updates available.

It could make sense to ask your dealer if they will take a look or check the firmware for free. It wouldn't be worth enough to me to pay for this but if they can do it under warranty or whatever it would make sense, IMO.

Try this process next time:

1. Power Off Nissan Leaf

2. Press Fuel Door Button

3. Press Timer Off Button

4. Connect Chargepoint Port to leaf as you normally do.

I don't know why it works so this is a pragmatists exercise.

And I must say, I used to have exactly the same issues all of you have intermittently with chargepoint stations.

Now I follow these steps 100% of the tim, and Chargepoint charges my Leaf 100% of the time.

In other words it works every time for me & others I have coached to try it on the fly, in person, at chargepoint stations all over the place.

Post your successes!

This is the routine I use, except that I reverse steps 2 and 3. I will try it as you suggest next time. Incidentally, I plugged in to the CP unit last Sunday, and it started right up - no problems at all. Go figure!

Back