Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shawnbrig said:
Picked up leaf yesterday at full charge, LOL I can't believe I am even writing this next statement but I think its funny and can be a great learning experience.
Yea Buddy - gooo Shawn! :lol:

I'm glad you made it home - and glad there weren't any news helos above you with cameras rolling! It's a lot easier staying inside the lines when you know where the lines are - congrats for your new car and for finding the limits right from the start!

shawnbrig said:
Picked up leaf yesterday at full charge, LOL I can't believe I am even writing this next statement but I think its funny and can be a great learning experience. I RAN OUT OF ELECTRICITY last night because I decided to stop at jack in the box .

Great story Shawn! It sounds like you were testing the limits in every way!

Oh, and happy birthday too!

shawnbrig said:
I got about 77 miles, which was really good considering what we put the car through. Most of the time was spent on the freeway, with A/C on, On the way I was driving at about 70 mph, I was cutting down trees not growing them. I was not driving on the way home but a lot of the way was 70+ mph, when I saw 80 turn to 81, I gave a little lecture and the speed came down.

Great information. This is more in line with "real world" conditions that I'd be driving. I only need about 50 miles round trip but it's mostly freeway and hot as hell during the summer. :) Very rarely in TX do I not have the A/C on! Hope you're enjoying the car!

Another Blink WE-30C EVSE ordered from Dave Aasheim at Ecotality.
He could not honor the pre-3/15 pricing unfortunately.

Delivery date still showing 3/18 as of this morning.

LonghornLeaf said:
Another Blink WE-30C EVSE ordered from Dave Aasheim at Ecotality.
He could not honor the pre-3/15 pricing unfortunately.

Delivery date still showing 3/18 as of this morning.

What dealership are you working with?

Working with Courtesy.. can't say I'm a fan so far.

The sales guy I was working with for months moved over to finance and a clueless guy is now in charge of Leaf sales. After going to the dealership to appraise my vehicle, I was a bit dumbfounded by his lack of general knowledge. For one, he offered me $3k for my existing vehicle when KBB lists the "fair" (not "good," not even "excellent" condition - I would consider mine between fair and good) trade-in value at $7375. That's not private party value or resale value, mind you. Good thing I have a friend buying my car for $7500 to use toward my down payment. Secondly, witnessing his typing skills, or lack thereof was quite humorous.

I've repeatedly asked him for solid numbers as far as TTL and the "total cost" of the car so I can skip the tireless "negotiation" process. I've got my financing ready to go through an existing lender and I really don't want to spend all day at the dealership when I finally can pick up my Leaf. I'd like to get as much out of the way as possible, but it's falling on deaf ears. Another frustration to the already mounting ordering and delivery process.

@Dash

It's been really hard to make a good living working at a dealership in sales especially in the past 5 years with expensive gas* & economic downturn contributing to drastically reduced sales volume in the industry. Turnover can be really high in sales, as it's hard to make enough money in the job. As such, a dedicated, informed and intelligent consumer can rapidly overwhelm some of these guys and gals quite quickly.

Trophy is consistently one of the top sales volume dealers in the US, frequently #1 or #2 with Universal Nissan in Los Angeles in at least a few years in the 2000s. I almost considered them, but only picked Bankston because I lived closer.

If you are going to buy, I suggest taking in a cashier's check from your bank or credit union for MSRP/lower (from existing lender.) I've done this before. Then cover the TT&L numbers with a personal check. Be firm and educated and you'll likely outlast them.

If you want to get even closer with the financed amount:
-tax is 6.25% of purchase price.
-registration is $58.50 plus $10 as an addl county fee (see: http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/registration.htm)
-don't recall/can't find other fees

Not sure if we have the option to switch dealers at this point, but you can check with Nissan, then you might talk to the sales manager directly and tell him you are going to take your business across town unless they figure it out. The car was built for you, not to sit on their lot.

*Thank you, we now have EV options

LonghornLeaf said:
Not sure if we have the option to switch dealers at this point, but you can check with Nissan, then you might talk to the sales manager directly and tell him you are going to take your business across town unless they figure it out. The car was built for you, not to sit on their lot.
I contacted Nissan NA about changing dealers after I placed an order. They said I was free to change dealers, but it would mean canceling the order and moving to the back of the line with the new dealer.

@Andy - I think that was the case before the unit was built and had arrived in Japan, but once you have a VIN?
Nissan's dealers probably didn't want to allow this, but not sure. If you raised enough noise you could probably win.

AndyH said:
I contacted Nissan NA about changing dealers after I placed an order. They said I was free to change dealers, but it would mean canceling the order and moving to the back of the line with the new dealer.

Andy, you may want to consider that strategy as a way to get your car quicker, since Nissan seems to be getting cars pretty quickly to Jan/Feb orders.

I tried to change my color in Feb (right after I received a delivery month) and was told "no can do" unless I cancel the order and start over. Looking at how things are going now, I'm kind of thinking I should have done that. ;)

Thanks guys. My actual order was 5 Jan (though I could RAQ 10 Sep). I was in May(be) for a time but am back in Penduary. Delivery later in the summer is better for me so I'm not upset with the delay.

Andy,

Was missing the fact that you didn't have VIN/delivery yet in last post. Yeah, until you have a unit slated for you, not sure how flexible NNA would be with switching dealers.

EdmondLeaf said:
AndyH said:
Thanks guys. My actual order was 5 Jan (though I could RAQ 10 Sep).
so kind of safe to say, that reservation is determining factor in delivery order?
Nissan Chat/support/email told me deliveries are based on actual order date...but others have been told that the reservation date is the factor...and there seem to be actual deliveries that don't fit either 'rule.' Who knows? :D

Just got word from my dealer than my car did not make it out of Japan this time around. Apparently there will be another round of letters from Nissan letting us know to expect delays due to the plant shutdowns.

Thank you, Universe, for the opportunity to practice my Zen-like patience. Arrrggghhh! :lol:

I hope some of you are in the lucky 1500 in Long Beach!

AndyH said:
Just got word from my dealer than my car did not make it out of Japan this time around. Apparently there will be another round of letters from Nissan letting us know to expect delays due to the plant shutdowns.

Thank you, Universe, for the opportunity to practice my Zen-like patience. Arrrggghhh! :lol:

Sorry, not much you can do about it. Just terrible series of events.

AndyH said:

Dang, brother, sorry to hear that. Remember breath in for an 8 count --- exhale for an 8 count :)

I have slipped from March 31 to April 1st... but I have a VIN so I know it's out there somewhere....

A VIN is a good thing! Congrats! It's really great to see some Leafs coming down this way - we can't let the West Coast have all the fun!

Back