LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I am glad to hear you say this. Before I bought the Leaf I used to build EV conversions as a hobby and I found that in a perfect world I would have 3 gauges.
1) Amps
2) Volts
3) State of Charge

Everything else is just extra noise.

As far as the best mounting spot, I would like to put mine right on top of the Guess-o-Meter. :lol:

KJD
http://www.evalbum.com/3175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
On the prototype, I currently have a high-resolution bar graph that reads battery amps. It can be seen in my second demo video. It's very sensitive and responds fast to what's going on in the Leaf, especially to your foot while driving. It's so much better feedback than the "bubbles" and even the round energy screen gauge on the nav head unit. It quickly teaches you the consequences of your actions and you can even see the effect of the climate control. It makes you a more efficient driver in short order!

It's hard to imagine how much a simple analog ammeter can improve your driving, but it does. To me, this is the most valuable thing on the LEAFSCAN.

-Phil

There is an SRS stamped at the top of the plastic piece. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that the supplemental restraint system?

Michael

MichaelS said:
There is an SRS stamped at the top of the plastic piece. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that the supplemental restraint system?Michael
Yes. It's not obvious, but it appears that part of the side curtain air bag is tucked under that Front Pillar Garnish. That's how it was in the Prius, too. That garnish piece pops out about 1 1/2" to let the air bag deploy. But, where p4e is talking about putting the LEAFScan, it shouldn't really affect that operation, should it be necessary (though he might need a new LEAFScan, but there would be much more important things to worry about in that event).

I believe he is more concerned about the affect that the LF might have if the airbag needs to deploy in an accident...

rawhog said:
It's possible to work around airbags. In an ICEV you disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes or so.

Exactly. Would not want a missile coming at me if the air bag deploys. Or the air bag not being able to properly deploy. I am really looking forward to Phil's new device.

Michael

MichaelS said:
Exactly. Would not want a missile coming at me if the air bag deploys. Or the air bag not being able to properly deploy. I am really looking forward to Phil's new device.

Michael

That is not how that air bag deploys. The curtain opens from the leading edge of the A pillar. The plastic does not fly into your face, I have removed my A pillar several times and something down low should have no issue. There are retaining clips that hold the plastic in place while the air bag deploys. Unless of course you stick your face there. :arrow:

Count me in, Phil.

By the way, I am a software developer. What language/development platform you using in LeafScan? There is an outside chance that I could contribute (aesthetics, features, etc).

Allan

count me in Phil. I'm glad I checked your CC topic as that is how I found your reference to LEAFSCAN. How is your range extender doing?

Joseph

I posted on the first day but did not make myself clear that I wanted one, let me be clear, I want one :D !

Thanks!

TonyWilliams said:
When you get firm dimensions, would you please post them. I'm building a dedicated mount for that, the Gidmeter, and a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.
Wonder how you plan to connect both meters to the LEAF at the same time. Guess you could fabricate a parallel "Y" cable, or maybe hardwire splice the Gidmeter cable into the LEAFSCAN cable.

Bill

ebill3 said:
TonyWilliams said:
When you get firm dimensions, would you please post them. I'm building a dedicated mount for that, the Gidmeter, and a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.
Wonder how you plan to connect both meters to the LEAF at the same time. Guess you could fabricate a parallel "Y" cable, or maybe hardwire splice the Gidmeter cable into the LEAFSCAN cable.

Bill

Ya, I hadn't really thought about how to wire it for parallel operations. Maybe just add a second OBD2 port under the steering wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back