Lease now or wait for 2014s?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received an email from a Nissan Dealership where they talked about the Leaf coming in the middle of this month.
Who knows if it's the truth, but that's the info I received.

Either way, I'm sticking it out until the 2014s arrive.

The custom heavy vehicle company I work for does the exact opposite of what many normal car companies do and attempts to stay in the oldest model year for as long as possible. Doing this allows us to keep the price down due to easier to meet regulations.

The way we do this is by having incomplete chassis or in some cases just the motor in house and this allows us to continue producing the previous model year until we run out of components.

We have one model we sell that meets 2005 emissions :) And legally so too.

It is possible that nissan having a niche vehicle would prefer to make more profit by having some whip, usually you just need the motor made in the previous year or a very very incomplete chassis started in the previous year to be allowed to sell as last years model.

If nissan has no desire to make the modifications needed by 2014 laws it behooves them to make 2013s as long as possible, assuming of coarse people like the leaf and will keep buying them, this especially pays off on niche vehicles when you anticipate a major change legislated for say 2015, you can then group 14 & 15 models together and do all the updates at once. You end up with a very short 014 model year and the 015 would end up being the same design.

Ah well, lets see how long the wait goes on :)

gsleaf said:
planet4ever said:
So far the official 2014 Nissan LEAF Press Kit only includes an "Overview", with a promise that Specs and Pricing "will be available soon."

Ray

It's up now.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2014-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Green Car report also has information on the 2014s..

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089545_2014-nissan-leaf-electric-car-84-mile-range-aroundview-standard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gsleaf said:
Pricing is up now, too.

Up $180 on each trim level and a bunch of accessories have gone up $5 in price.

Compare to 2013 Press Kit:
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chuckos said:
Green Car report also has information on the 2014s..
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089545_2014-nissan-leaf-electric-car-84-mile-range-aroundview-standard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very interesting:
"That number seems like a significant improvement, but in fact the only change made to the car is the elimination of a software option that let owners set battery charging to stop at 80 percent."

Reading through the owner's manual from here: 2014 Owner's Manual is available online

I couldn't find any reference to "long life" or storage mode for the car.

MOD NOTE: Moved all the 80% charge setting posts to the dedicated thread Bicster started:
MY2014 no more 80% charge option?

I am excited to see some lease numbers. I'm particularly curious if the residual values will change, affecting affordability.

So what do we think that means for 2013 leases? I could see that no one would want a 2012 when the pricing of the 2013's was announced, therefore incentives on 2012's.....

But if there is no big difference does that mean no incentives? I can make an argument that if 2013 and 2014's are essentially the same (including price) I'd be silly to lease a 2013 unless there's a good deal.

There's nothing to back up this statement, but I found this interesting:
"Nissan keeps telling us that the LEAF electric car is selling like hot cakes. But last year they kept lowering the price of the car, offering huge discounts every time they released an update. Now they are stating with the 2014 model, and the price they are going for is $28,980 for the base model.

There is also an $850 destination charge you need to add to that price. That is what they want now. If you wait a couple of months, chances are they are going to shave a couple of thousands off it. But if you want a Nissan LEAF right now, you can choose between the LEAF S, SV and SL."

http://www.motorward.com/2014/01/2014-nissan-leaf-priced-28980/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

asimba2 said:
Thanks for the pricing info. One other piece of information I discovered, California Assembly Bill 1077, if signed, goes into effect Jan 1, 2014 and reduces the sales tax and licensing of alternatively fueled vehicles. If my brief read of it was correct, state sales tax and license fees will be based on the value of the car after deducting the federal tax credit and state tax rebate, rather than the gross value of the car. I have not calculated how much that will save on a lease, but it could make a substantial difference on a purchase.

Looks like that bill "died"...

http://openstates.org/ca/bills/20132014/AB1077/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jan 31, 2014 : Assembly : Died pursuant to Art. IV, Sec. 10(c) of the Constitution.

asimba2 said:
There's nothing to back up this statement, but I found this interesting:
"Nissan keeps telling us that the LEAF electric car is selling like hot cakes. But last year they kept lowering the price of the car, offering huge discounts every time they released an update. Now they are stating with the 2014 model, and the price they are going for is $28,980 for the base model.

There is also an $850 destination charge you need to add to that price. That is what they want now. If you wait a couple of months, chances are they are going to shave a couple of thousands off it. But if you want a Nissan LEAF right now, you can choose between the LEAF S, SV and SL."

http://www.motorward.com/2014/01/2014-nissan-leaf-priced-28980/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

umm, its car right? your statement sums it up nicely since there really isn't anything to back it up

average discount from MSRP on Ford F 150; $4500

Toyota Sienna; $2700 but then again, who wants one?? lets go for a "popular" car

Accord; $2150 or a Prius ($1900) Camry ($3,000)

it would seem the article has ignored the savings from domestic production, removal of currency exchange penalties, common sense and pretty much everything else...

It's rather irrelevant to me now since I leased one in the last couple of weeks. They aren't getting any cheaper; I haven't seen any good deals on 2014s and the 2013s aren't going as cheap as I would have thought. I ended up with a good deal though and I think the timing was about as good as it could have been.

Dont have any 14s here yet so cant comment on those deals but the 13s were essentialy being leased interest free. My rent charge on this lease was $35.75 over the 3 year term

DaveinOlyWA said:
Dont have any 14s here yet so cant comment on those deals but the 13s were essentialy being leased interest free. My rent charge on this lease was $35.75 over the 3 year term

The lease terms are pretty incredible. Money factor of 0.00014 is 0.336% interest. I bet in the 3 weeks I've leased my Leaf that I'm already beating inflation!

asimba2 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

The lease terms are pretty incredible. Money factor of 0.00014 is 0.336% interest. I bet in the 3 weeks I've leased my Leaf that I'm already beating inflation!

i think mine was almost half that?? .00008? to be honest with ya, after I saw the total rent charge for the contract, I stopped caring about how many zeros were involved...

Back