Leaves in the Wild

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in NY, I've never seen one. I couldn't make it to the Tour thing that came around during the summer, so I've actually never seen a Leaf in real life. Seen plenty of Volts though. Meh. :(

NYLEAF said:
Here in NY, I've never seen one.
I don't know if Manhattan is convenient for you, but if so, check out the Seward Park Coop. The Hertz rental Leaf lives in the driveway just off Clinton Street. I drove it down to my house on the north side of Philly a few months ago, so many people along US 1 in New Jersey had a chance to see a LEAF in the wild, although it was my impression that most people didn't know what they were seeing and thought it was just a Versa with funny looking headlights...

I've had mine for less than two weeks so far, only 650 miles. But got freaked out tonight by another Leaf.

When I parked in front of the restaurant I backed in, trying out the rear view camera. When I walked out the leaf was backwards!

Then I realized, it was another Leaf, same color, from the same dealership! Looking around at the completely full parking lot I realized they didn't do it on purpose.

I texted a pic to my friend titled, "My Leaf made its first friend."

On Sunday at the local Farmers Market, I parked out blue Leaf next to a Red one, and when I was leaving, a White one came up, we waved at them, they did not wave back, but the driver made that "look" that seemed she annoyed at us because we were blocking traffic getting out of the parking space. On the way out of the parking lot we saw another blue one.

Have we hit that level where electric cars are no longer a novelty, but a mainstream form of transportation?

If so, what really amazes me is that here we are in Silicon Valley, the technological and spiritual center of the universe for electric cars, and yet there are hardly any public chargers, much less fast chargers. Yet out in the boondocks like Texas, Oregon and Tennessee the fast chargers are sprouting like weeds. What's up with that?

OrientExpress said:
If so, what really amazes me is that here we are in Silicon Valley, the technological and spiritual center of the universe for electric cars, and yet there are hardly any public chargers, much less fast chargers. Yet out in the boondocks like Texas, Oregon and Tennessee the fast chargers are sprouting like weeds. What's up with that?

Time to move to the boondocks? Nissan did.

Just returned from an ICE trip to San Francisco (71.7 gallons of regular) and was surprised that I saw but two LEAFs. One zipped right by me as I was trying to not exceed 70. Us country folk just aren't used to six lanes all traveling above the limit. ;)

Bill

And on the topic of Leafs in Parking Lots--

Saturday night Mrs. Lonndog and I went to dinner at Fidels in Solana Beach, and parked in the small lot on the west side of the restaurant. When we came out, there was another blue Leaf parked next to us! We weren't in any danger of not figuring out which was ours, as the other one had large advertising decals all over it promoting the driver as the "EV Realtor" or some such. I was surprised said realtor hadn't left a business card under my windshield. I tried Googling for such a business, but couldn't find it.

We stopped on our way home at a place on Hwy 101 for some gelator (rare after dinner at Fidels, but what the heck); walking back to the car, we spotted a silver Leaf not 50 feet away in the parking lot next to us.

When we got home, there was a red Leaf in our garage, getting a charge up...not a surprise, mother in law was kid-sitting for us, which we paid for in electrons (cheap labor, that).

Tonight I stopped at Trader Joe's in Encinitas on the way home. When I came out, there was another blue Leaf parked right next to mine (again!). No decals on this one, but it did have clever personalized plates (and no Wet Okole seat covers...I guess it's not that hard to tell 'em apart after all).

As I was starting my Leaf, I looked out the window, and a red Leaf was pulling in to the parking lot.

The Mrs. and the kids, we all report to each other any sightings. As much as e see them around nowadays, spotting one in the wild still hasn't lost its excitement.

Unfortunately, I saw a red Leaf today on the 110 South just before the 10. I was getting on the 110 freeway there and it was being loaded on a flatbed at the on-ramp gore point... I could not see the plate but I have to wonder if it had a flat, it died, or the owner ran it all the way down...

We saw a black LEAF in the Trader Joe's parking lot in Redlands, CA earlier this evening. While we've seen multiple LEAFs in the wild in Los Angeles County, this was our first "wild" sighting so close to home!

I've had my LEAF since 01/11/11 and until this week, I have only seen them in the Santa Monica EV Parade. But on Monday, I saw a white one and a blue one at the Stanford Hospital parking garage. Great to see them out and about!

Where the heck are they?

Other than at the dealer, I have seen just three in my lifetime. Mine, one on the freeway near Berkeley, and one at a San Francisco restaurant. I know there are some in the south sound, but they must only come out at night. :eek:

Bill

Last afternoon Thursday, I got of out my white Leaf and walked into UTC San Diego Crate and Barrel store. When I came out 15 mins later, there were 3 Leafs in the parking lot.
Doesn't that warm your holiday heart? ;)

Saw one in the Lowe's parking lot in Vallejo yesterday.

The coolest thing is that it was dirty with road grime. Made it seem much more real than all of the other pristine LEAFs I've seen.

As Geoge Lucas said, "The future has a past".

ebill3 said:
Where the heck are they?

Other than at the dealer, I have seen just three in my lifetime. Mine, one on the freeway near Berkeley, and one at a San Francisco restaurant. I know there are some in the south sound, but they must only come out at night. :eek:

Bill

On my normal bike ride, from the Berkeley flats up into Tilden Park, I pass 4, sometimes five (counting the one in my driveway). There are the four that live in garages or driveways (mine, Hopkins, and Cragmont), and I've also seen one or two parked on the street on Hopkins.

Perhaps Berkeley has the highest density of Leaf owners (in spite of the relative difficulty of installing EVSEs--lots of houses/apts are without off street parking, and even many with off street parking don't have garages)?

Saw five yesterday (not counting the one in my garage) on a 3-hour bike ride through Kirkland, Redmond, and Issaquah. Every color except silver, with two red.

sproqitman said:
Saw five yesterday (not counting the one in my garage) on a 3-hour bike ride through Kirkland, Redmond, and Issaquah. Every color except silver, with two red.
Yep, Seattle and Eastside. But where the heck are the South Sounders? Must be some in Pierce County.

Bill

Back