Long distance EV driving - vehicle/charging requirements....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow1

Reading a couple other threads got me to thinking of what battery and charging needs would be required for me to be willing/able/happy taking an EV on a long distance trip and how to generalize this so that others can 'play' with the numbers too. This is what I came up with - interested in hearing feedback and seeing if the resulting numbers surprise anyone...

For cross country driving I am assuming there really are two main practical factors to consider - first is "how long can I go between stops" which speaks to range; I imagine 3-5 hours would be the 'desired' timeframe for a lot of folks which in my book translates into a range of 180-300 miles (Model S meets this requirement).

Second factor is "time to charge" - if I drive for 4 hours I'd be willing to charge for 45 minutes. This means I need to onboard enough power for an hour of driving in just under 12 minutes.

To make this more general - if you know R "rate of power use at desired speed", Td "time Driving between stops", and Tc "time willing to stop and charge" for a given trip you can calculate the required battery capacity as well as necessary charging rate.

Example:
Leaf driving 65mph burning approx 18kWh average
Desiring to drive 4 hours between stops and charge in 45 minutes

R = 18kW
Td = 4 hrs
Ts = .75 hr

Required capacity = R*Td = 18kw * 4 hr = 72kWh
Required charging rate = R*Td/Tc = 72kWh/.75h = 96kW

Be willing to stop each 3hrs and leave rest constant you get:
Required capacity = 54kW
Required charging rate = 72kW

So this tells me I'd want between 54 and 72 kWh useful battery capacity and chargers that charge between 72 and 96kW (do such exist?). Guess I won't be doing a road trip anytime soon.

While a bit simplified; i.e. charging rate is not a constant, nor would one be able to utilize 100% of battery capacity (perhaps add in a factor of 80% to leave top and bottom 10% unused? - so that would put Required Capacity = R*Td/.8 = 90kW), using this model to evaluate a given vehicle could help folks determine if they would be able to utilize it for long distance driving. Clearly a lot of personal variables, and it assumes availability of charging when desire/required....

Play with this a bit to see what you would be comfortable with - you may be surprised at just what will be required to meet your long-distance driving needs. It would be interesting to see what a poll of the general public says in terms of "time between stops" and "time to stop" and see what that would require of a vehicle to meet 80% of the driving public's perceived (if not actual) needs.

It also demonstrates how much we need to improve charging rates and/or burn rates to be able to really replace the ICE for some folks (such as myself).

All this doesn't matter for local only driving. There it comes down to a simple question of "maximum driven in a day" and number of available charging hours. The ration there allows for much slower charging rates.

I figure you want to spend less than 20% of our time sitting around waiting, and want to drive at least 2 hours with some reserve (plus not charging to 100% to keep charge rate fast).

Usage: 20 kW
Capacitacity minimum: 3hx20kW = 60 kWh
Charging rate 20kW/20% = 100kW

Back of the envelope says that for a road trip to not suck you need a Tesla S60 with access to a supercharger network or better. Or a gas tank.

I have to figure Tesla is doing this calc - I wonder if the model III will be a reasonable road-trip vehicle...

I suspect EVs will do much better once the majority are good for road trips. Not that we really do road trips very often but I expect most everyone wants to be ABLE to do so if the notion strikes :)

Two hours at freeway speeds in most conditions plus a reserve will be adequate for many people, provided they can charge to the same amount again in no more than 10 minutes, preferably <=5. Otherwise, it's four hours or more to equal ICE capability, with no more than 1 hour (goal <=20 minutes) to charge for the same distance again. The S60 is a two hour car but doesn't meet the recharge time requirement, and the S85 is a 2.5-2.75 hour car so falls short of the range requirement.

I'm going to keep it real simple, and say that most people wouldn't want to go vacationing with anything <resembling the kWh (capacity)/kW (charging rate) of the current Tesla (60 or 85kWh).
If you want anyone to chime in regarding whether or not they would drive 300+ miles per day with an EV more like the current LEAF, I will say that I definitely would... I have!
I have gone 140 miles (easy drive) to get to the MT Washington Auto Rd on two occasions for the "Alternative Energy Summit". And,
More interestingly, I went 335-350 miles in (2) days time last year in my LEAF after having subjected the car's battery to 1 & 1/2 years (two summers) of capacity degradation. The trip was an EV vacation from Burlington, Vermont to Bar Harbor / Acadia National park, Maine. I drove ~ 175 miles per day, recharged about 4 - 5 hours per day using mostly 4-7 kW, (240v) level 2 EVSEs, with an overnight full charge while I rested up. One 25kW QC in VT.

Would/has anyone else do(ne) anything like these trips and been happy to take their time and enjoy their EV vacation with a 20kWh EV with 6.6kW onboard charger? I had a blast, I am looking forward to doing more of these long EV trips... I want to see more charging stations in the Adirondacks so I can head more west, do some hiking vacation in the Adirondacks! :)

Back