Look What Showed Up In My J1772

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchthing

So, I could not plug in. It's the middle of the night and J1772 will not slide in. It's bouncing back...

I shone flashlight into all the ports. J1772 has this green "thing" twined around its inner perimeter. I brought out a tool and pushed it out.

Where did it come from? Most likely the J1772 itself. It could have been Spark or the Soul I thought, but upon googling the pics it turned out to be the former. I must say, it is now super easier to plugin both cars. And I have no inclination to figure out how to put the rubber ring back.

Is it really necessary? Is there a water damage or a short in my near future? Only the time will tell... :p

This has come up before. I'd decided that an occasional swipe of silicone lube around the contact area on the inlet was a good idea to prevent yanking of the ring. This reminds me that I haven't done so on the 2015 yet.

My EVSE has never been used outdoors, but I do wonder about the function of the ring in helping ensure good alignment on the pins during insertion.

What kind of EVSE do you have? My aerovironment EVSE has a similar looking ring that has come out a few times and I've had to work it back in.

adric22 said:
What kind of EVSE do you have? My aerovironment EVSE has a similar looking ring that has come out a few times and I've had to work it back in.
Yep, that is the one. How did you work it in, and why? Is it really worth the trouble? It seems like it will do it again.

I've had the unit since Jun 2011 (installed Dec 2010). This is the first time it popped out, but I've noticed difficulty plugging in for a while. It's really smooth now without the ring.

Nubo said:
I do wonder about the function of the ring in helping ensure good alignment on the pins during insertion.
It aligns wonderfully. I think the ring is there just to keep moisture out and nothing else.

FWIW, at http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/7989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, one of the Clipper Creek stations w/a Yazaki-branded handle become inoperative because its green gasket got out of position (bunched up in the bottom) and blocked plugging in any car. I noticed that after I unplugged a completed Fiat 500e and couldn't plug in my car, nor into anyone else, including that Fiat.

I and another guy were unable to push it back into the right position. A few days later, someone had just pried the entire gasket out and wrapped it around the handle. That "fixed" it. The handle now works.

ILETRIC said:
]Yep, that is the one. How did you work it in, and why? Is it really worth the trouble? It seems like it will do it again.

I've had the unit since Jun 2011 (installed Dec 2010). This is the first time it popped out, but I've noticed difficulty plugging in for a while. It's really smooth now without the ring.

Hard to explain. But once I got in correctly it hasn't come back out since. The first few times it popped out partially and I shoved it back in where it would work. But it still wasn't in correctly.

I think it is there mostly for outdoor use. But since my EVSE is installed in the garage, I imagine it could probably survive without the ring just fine. In fact, if it ever pops out again, I may just remove it completely.

Yeah, I cave in and put it back since this is an outdoors station. It was actually quite easy to reposition the ring back into its seat. I added a layer of silicone on it, and it tested okay.

One more thing to keep an eye on. I figure I'd lubricate it once a year with same and it should remain trouble-free. Or perhaps I'll lubricate the outer ring of the onboard ports instead.

I've had that happen to mine on several occasions (bunching up and making it hard to insert). Reseating it is easy. Look on the side of the J plug and you'll see two little cutouts on either side with a plastic piece contained in them. Push those inner pieces in and the entire inner ring of the plug will slide out. Drop the gasket back in place with the flat(-ish) side facing out, then snap the inner right back into place. I too tried silicon lube but it still kept doing this, so I finally just removed it for good since my installation is indoors.

what is wrong with your finger nail? what is causing those ridges? really curious now :)

mwalsh said:
nerys said:
what is wrong with your finger nail? what is causing those ridges? really curious now :)

Genetics? My thumbnails are like that too. Fingernails not so much. No idea why,

Funny! off topic but I have the same "graining" on my thumbnails but not my fingernailsnearly as much. I was just looking at 'em the other day wondering. :)
my heritage is mixed, white, Paternal grandfather was 100% Sweedish. the other 3 all a blend. :D

Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a new, replacement gasket? I have an outdoor charging station and the gasket that came with the charger has gotten a bit chewed up, especially when a neighbor tried to jam it back into the holster when it wasn't properly lined up. I've searched for it online, without any success.

VegasBrad said:
mwalsh said:
nerys said:
Genetics? My thumbnails are like that too. Fingernails not so much. No idea why,
Funny! off topic but I have the same "graining" on my thumbnails but not my fingernailsnearly as much. I was just looking at 'em the other day wondering. :)
my heritage is mixed, white, Paternal grandfather was 100% Sweedish. the other 3 all a blend. :D
I assumed it was just another of those annoying things age did to me when it started happening a few years back. If I cared about it, I could probably file them smooth...and I'm sure women do.

VegasBrad said:
mwalsh said:
nerys said:
O.K. You guys got me looking at my fingernails!

The graining on my fingernails is slightly MORE pronounced than what I see on my thumbnails. However, none is as pronounced as what I see in the picture!

Cinnabar said:
Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a new, replacement gasket? I have an outdoor charging station and the gasket that came with the charger has gotten a bit chewed up, especially when a neighbor tried to jam it back into the holster when it wasn't properly lined up. I've searched for it online, without any success.
I would try calling AeroVironment. If you can't find one, send me a PM. You can have mine, I'm not using it. ;)

davewill said:
VegasBrad said:
mwalsh said:
I assumed it was just another of those annoying things age did to me when it started happening a few years back. If I cared about it, I could probably file them smooth...and I'm sure women do.

Lengthwise ridges are generally harmless and can depend on genetics and age. Pronounced horizontal ridges can be a sign of illness or other serious bodily stresses.

GeekEV said:
Cinnabar said:
I would try calling AeroVironment. If you can't find one, send me a PM. You can have mine, I'm not using it. ;)

Thanks. I took your advice and called. They called back the next day and said they have since determined that the gasket is not necessary and it provided no added benefit, so it can be removed. The EVSE will continue to function perfectly, even in an outdoor situation.

Back