Loss of Functionality Due to Battery Degradation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive the thread resurrection, I must have missed LEAFfan's polite post.

LEAFfan said:
To say your degradation will be worse than ours in 5 years is not only ludicrous, but ignorant. When your temps reach 0 F, your temporary capacity loss will be about 17-18%.

Wrong. More like a range loss of 30% or more with climate control enabled, per other owners experiences.

And I never said it was degradation, so nice strawman.

My point is if I don't have a place to charge at work, my LEAF gets parked in the winter because my range suffers at least as bad as yours, certainly more. Also, no need to use names. You might hurt my feelings. :(

I a getting close to loss of functionality. I use my Leaf to go to and from work. It is a fifty mile one way trip. I live 50 miles outside of Las Vegas, NV. I have 13250 miles on my leaf. I can only charge to 87% on my Gidometer. I use more energy on the trip home. I fight prevailing winds and have a bit more climbing to do. I am almost to the point of not being able to make side trips after work. In general I could see the charge diminish as the temperature bar reached the seventh bar. I am thinking that biggest problem with heat is coming from heat re-radiated from the roads. Some information on the web indicates the road temperatures reach 150-180 degrees. Our batteries are only a few inches from that heat source. When you are driving during the summer it like having a continuous heat strip under the car. I am thinking that a simple barrier that reflects this radiant heat and has a small amount of insulation on the battery side might go a long way in keeping our batteries cooler and reducing premature Degradation. I will be looking for help from Nissan. Anyone have any good contacts with Nissan ?

kmcmahan said:
Some information on the web indicates the road temperatures reach 150-180 degrees. Our batteries are only a few inches from that heat source. When you are driving during the summer it like having a continuous heat strip under the car.

I'm not sure that's a valid argument. When you're driving, air would be flowing under the car pulling that radiated heat out the back. I would expect that temperatures under the car (at highway speed at least) would not exceed ambient by much.

Kubel; would be real interested in getting your stats when the heart of winter hits you. Pretty familiar with your area (graduated HS from Port Huron) and it is definitely a few notches higher in the "cold winter" category than the Puget Sound.

Already, I am seeing access to no more than 18.5 Kwh of power with temps just dipping into the upper 30's. so that is probably a good 10-12% loss. guessing you will see more. keep in mind; that 10-12% is loss of power stored in the battery. actual range performance loss will be greater simply due to the pitfalls of winter driving (colder denser air, wetter roads, etc)

DaveinOlyWA said:
10-12% is loss of power stored in the battery. actual range performance loss will be greater simply due to the pitfalls of winter driving (colder denser air, wetter roads, etc)

And the heater use, which is probably the single biggest range reducer in cold weather.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
10-12% is loss of power stored in the battery. actual range performance loss will be greater simply due to the pitfalls of winter driving (colder denser air, wetter roads, etc)

And the heater use, which is probably the single biggest range reducer in cold weather.

he has a huge advantage with seat heaters, etc. they really make a HUGE difference especially in the moderately cold weather.(temps in 40's. this is a HIGHLY personal thing and solely dependent on one's comfort level, so this for myself ONLY)

My Prius has seat heaters and they make a major difference in comfort level and the level of cabin heat needed. I always wear a coat in winter (habit from the old days when I drove cars that broke down more than ran and calling someone on a cell phone was not an option) so that reduces the need and so on.

my 2011, I got a seat heater from Xmas (before LEAF got here!) and it is lame. It warms up eventually but the heat level is way below the Prius so not nearly as effective. and its lumpy (got the vibrating kind...)

Back