Lost key with lease ending soon, penalty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OurLeaf12

My 2012 Leaf lease is coming to an end soon. I'm planning to lease another Leaf. When we leased it, we were given 2 keys but we can't find one of them now. Will we get dinged for it? Also, is it recommended to get an inspection even tho I'm going to turn the car over to the new dealer whenever I get my new Leaf? There are some minor scratches, so is it better to skip inspection and just have the new dealership deal with it? Thanks.

A new replacement key is $132, then you have to have the emergency key cut and the fobs all have to be re-associated to the car,

http://tinyurl.com/ou8k27u

I remember there's a $500 allowance for small items with lease returns. With an inspection up front you will have the choice of where to have items repaired, I don't see a downside to a pre-lease return inspection, other than the visit hassle.

Tires less than 1/8" tread left would be the expensive gotcha, it seems tires on the LEAF last about 30k miles for most people. Get a tire depth gauge to know how much life you have on your tires. $3 and they'll last a lifetime.

Vince

VinceGlorioso said:
I remember there's a $500 allowance for small items with lease returns.

I believe that's only if you buy or lease another Nissan (which the OP is doing, but in case others read this thread). Otherwise you'd still be on the hook for something like that. I just had my lease return inspection and there is a category for "non-chargeable wear" but I don't think a missing key falls under that

For the OP: the lease return pre-inspection is a requirement imposed by NMAC. And as Vince said, it gives you the opportunity to correct (or dispute) any "chargeable" wear and tear for less cost than NMAC will impose on you.

Back