Make destination name understandable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

There was a learning curve at the beginning, but I have come to love the navigation software in the Leaf. By far the easiest way to enter a destination I know about before leaving is to go to Google Maps, search the address, and when the map came up, I click the little envelope icon in the upper right corner which then gives a popup menu to send to email, car, etc. I choose car, of course, and click send. In the car I then go to Carwings/All Information Feeds/Google Maps/Send to car. This sequence then causes the car to "connect to information center," download the destination(s) there and read it in the computerized voice, during which I press the pause button and then select set as new destination. This works great and takes only seconds at the computer and maybe a minute in the car, depending on how fast the connection is. Now that I've done it several times, it only takes a few seconds of attention time in the car.

The one irritant with this, though, was the way the voice read the destinations, especially when I had entered several into Google Maps. If I wanted to find my boyhood home (now a Greek Church) at 1290 Davis St. in San Jose, for example, it would read something like this:

One thousand two hundred ninety Davis street, San Jose, See Ay, Ninety-five thousand one hundred twenty-six.

It does this because the default format in Google Maps is the full address with state and zip code, and the numbers are always read using a standard algorithm designed for other uses, such as mathematics or business, not addresses. Today I experimented. I had to go to the DMV in Santa Clara to pick up my new plates so I searched for the address and sent it the normal way, then decided to see if I could change it. I went through the same sequence as described, but after clicking the link on the Send screen for the car, the window changes to show a Name field, populated by this default format. I changed the street address from the one shown simply to "D M V Santa Clara". When I downloaded in the car it read it exactly right! I put in the spaces because I wasn't sure if it would read DMV right or as a phonetic "dmff". I'll bet I could enter the address above as "12 90 Davis" so it would be pronounced "twelve ninety" the way addresses normally are, instead of "one thousand" etc. Of course in that case you could also just enter "Greek church."

I highly recommend this method as it only takes an extra five or ten seconds on the computer to edit that field and it is much easier to understand while driving. Since the destinations are usually repeated and all are read off in sequence it is often hard to tell the end of the zip code of one address from the beginning of the street number of the next one. If you had the above address followed by a general location of 19220-19230 Long Ranch road, Gilroy, for example (which might be a trailhead for a hike, say) the voice just reads "ninety-five thousand one hundred twenty-six nineteen thousand two hundred twenty nineteen thousand two hundred thirty..." etc. It's really hard to know which trailhead it is and at what point the voice changed from the one destination's zip code to the other, which you need to know to push the pause button.

From Google Maps, my first tip is that it won't just send an address to your car. You have to make a departure point and the destination, and then click "DIRECTIONS" before it will allow you to send it to your car. It can be any departure point... only the destination matters.

I rename everything exactly as I want to see it. So, for a charging station that I heard about here, I'll rename it "ChargePizzaHut3L21L3", or something similar, then blast it off via the information super highway to the LEAF. That way I can sort stored locations by name, and every name that starts with "Charge" will be listed. For the charging stations, be sure and edit each one as a charging station, and give it a nice icon of the gas pump (L3s) or the plug-in (L2s). That way, it will pop up when you hit "Nearest Charging Station" in a panic !

Same for the multiple schools that I go to, "SchoolPipSqueakElementary", golf courses, "GolfLazyAcres", etc. I put the actual address in the note section.

TonyWilliams said:
From Google Maps, my first tip is that it won't just send an address to your car. You have to make a departure point and the destination, and then click "DIRECTIONS" before it will allow you to send it to your car.
Sorry, untrue. I can search a location, click send to car and it goes. No directions necessary. Done it many times.

Rat said:
TonyWilliams said:
From Google Maps, my first tip is that it won't just send an address to your car. You have to make a departure point and the destination, and then click "DIRECTIONS" before it will allow you to send it to your car.
Sorry, untrue. I can search a location, click send to car and it goes. No directions necessary. Done it many times.

Yes, I did successfully do it without a calculated route, but not 100%.

I have NO IDEA why.

There are times when Google Maps does not give you the option to send to car, only send to email. I think in one of the threads I read that you actually have to search either by entering the address/name/coordinates then hitting enter, or clicking on the magnifying glass icon. If you instead click on one of the links below that set forth several possible matching locations, for example, the Google Maps page appears with that location and with the send icon, but you can only send to email. I'm not sure of the details of why or how it works, but I've always been able to get it to send what I want to the car without getting a route.

besides doing it on the computer before you leave, cant you also just type it in on the console in the car?
I assume that is more cumbersome.

(i just tested your method but must wait for end of day to see result in car. When I added a second version with directions, the google prompt told me only the destination address would be sent, however.)

Rat said:
There was a learning curve at the beginning, but I have come to love the navigation software in the Leaf. By far the easiest way to enter a destination I know about before leaving is to go to Google Maps, search the address, and when the map came up, I click the little envelope icon in the upper right corner which then gives a popup menu to send to email, car, etc. I choose car, of course, and click send. In the car I then go to Carwings/All Information Feeds/Google Maps/Send to car. This sequence then causes the car to "connect to information center," download the destination(s) there and read it in the computerized voice, during which I press the pause button and then select set as new destination. This works great and takes only seconds at the computer and maybe a minute in the car, depending on how fast the connection is. Now that I've done it several times, it only takes a few seconds of attention time in the car.

This option seems to have been removed from Google Maps, are you aware of this? It is a shame I loved this tool and now it is gone. :(

I just saw this explanation how to do in another thread,

"Send to car" is still there. It just got moved around during the several updates that Google maps got recently.

Once you get directions between points A and B, click the envelope on the top right of the left frame. It opens up another box with the URL and the HTML code. In there, click on send, and voila, the old window with options for Email, Car, GPS comes up.

Very convoluted, and not intuitive at all. Google forgot to run this through the Usability people

i do use this feature regularly as well. While we have a nicely designed car, the Navi system leaves a lot to be desired. Especially in the iOS/Android/Google Instant world that we live in today.

I too was taken by surprise with the change, but I figured it out. The phrase "top right of the left frame" may confuse some. On the screen that appears after you search, there is a map on the right (large) and a picture on the left from GoogleEarth Street View. Under that picture there are several links: Directions, Search Nearby, Save to map, and More. Click More and a drop down menu appears with Send as one of the option. Click that and from there it's the same as before.

For me I just see a link next to the printer icon. When you click on the link you get a popup with the url and shortcuts. Click on Send. Then you can pick the car.

I don't have my LEAF yet so I can't fully test this, but when I went to send the directions to the car, after selecting a Make of NISSAN, a note appeared saying it would only send the destination address to the car. So if I use the drag and drop feature of Google maps to tailor my route, will my revisions be lost when I send it to the car? That would be an unfortunate limitation if true.

lpickup said:
I don't have my LEAF yet so I can't fully test this, but when I went to send the directions to the car, after selecting a Make of NISSAN, a note appeared saying it would only send the destination address to the car. So if I use the drag and drop feature of Google maps to tailor my route, will my revisions be lost when I send it to the car? That would be an unfortunate limitation if true.
Yes, it only sends the destination to the car, not the route. You can send several destinations to the car at the same time, though. I described this in an earlier thread. It's best to do it when the car is in the garage ahead of time, but with the motor running so it thinks you are navigating. When you hit the send to car button from the information feed of Google maps, each time a destination is read off, hit the pause and set it as the destination. Then do it again for each location. Later, when in the car you can use the previous destinations list to select each one and navigate them in the order you want. I believe you can also use the Carwings route planner instead of Google Maps but I found that to be very clunky to use and impossible to modify later so I always use Google Maps.

Now that I HAVE the car and have tried the navigation a few times (including the send to car feature), I'm even more disappointed of the limited nature of sending a tailored route to the car. Sometimes the navigation is pretty good, but sometimes it's definitely not. Although the "2011/2012" maps are already severely out of date for my area (VERY disappointing) so I'm not sure if my tailored routes that traverse along non-existent roads would do much good anyway.

Anyway, is there a detailed description of exactly what "set it as the destination" means below?

Rat said:
When you hit the send to car button from the information feed of Google maps, each time a destination is read off, hit the pause and set it as the destination.

Yes, I've done it twice successfully, but it took me about 5 minutes each time to figure out exactly how to do it, and I still can't remember exactly what sequence I used to set it as the destination. IIRC, I did hit "Pause" and then perhaps a menu comes up that allows you to Set as Destination, but that doesn't actually start the navigation (at least it doesn't appear to happen immediately). A few more rounds of almost randomly pushing buttons and trying to repeat the process does wind up with the navigation being started, but I'm very confused as to the exact procedure.

Back