Matching Tires upon Lease Return

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnylax

Anyone have an experience returning a Leaf without 4 matching tires?

After running over a curb, I had a tire blowout about 4-5 months back and had to replace one of the tires. I used the same size, rating, etc. - but I now have three original tires and one newer one. I've only put ~ 14k miles on the original tires, so they depth/wear should be fine.

In reading the end of lease documentation provided by NMAC, one of the things they can charge you for is having a tire that isn't part of a matching set. Do they expect me to replace all four tires, so they are all truly "matching"?

Thanks.

If it's the same brand & model of tire, you should be fine. If not, then you're at the discretion of the dealer/leaser as to what counts as a "match". Can you take your car to the dealer and ask them?

It might be worth your time to find a used OEM Leaf tire.

It's not up to the dealer. It is determined by the independent lease return inspector. Generally, it should not be an issue.

garsh said:
If it's the same brand & model of tire, you should be fine. If not, then you're at the discretion of the dealer/leaser as to what counts as a "match". Can you take your car to the dealer and ask them?

I had been worried about it on my lease return because I had two original and two Michelins, but the inspector didn't mention it, and I never got any guff about it later, either. If they do try to ding you for it, you should only need to replace the one non-matching tire...so long as the others have enough tread on them.

Probably nothing to be gained worrying about it at this point, see how the inspection turns out and deal with it then. Remember they allow a certain amount of wear/damage before considering anything "chargeable", then after that you'll get up to $500 forgiven if you are buying or leasing another Nissan. The last thing you want to do is spend money on the car unnecessarily just to turn it in.

Back