Max DIstance Club

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I thought it might be interesting to start another thread, similar to the 100 mile club, but rather find out what the max distance people have driven the Leaf, including those trips where it was necessary to stop and recharge.

Myself, I don't have that much to impress with. My longest journey in the Leaf has been 84 miles and I recharged at my destination (after 42 miles) for 2 hours on an L2 before returning home. However, I have considered the possibility of trying to map out a route where I could drive from Ft.Worth to Austin or Houston and find places to charge along the way. It would be an interesting adventure and might take me a whole day or two to make the trip. - But I firmly believe it could be done, especially with the help of plugshare and similar apps.

Shucks, you guys from the South want to do this in the winter? :lol: Heck, us Northerners won't see decent range until next summer. Well, my best is 100 miles, one day, 4 hrs 120 V charge. I won't be trying anything even remotely similar until Spring.

Reddy

I can't claim the most miles, but I did have a 5000 foot mountain descent at the beginning of my longest drive, and a climb back up the same mountain at the end of the drive. I did about 172 miles in one day in early September, from the San Bernardino Mountains to Los Angeles and back. Never exceeded 80% SOC the whole day. Left home with ~ 65% SOC (to maximize downhill regen) and charged as follows:

- First stop at an office west of downtown LA. L1 for about an hour.
- Next stop Pasadena (at our rental property), a few miles after "low battery warning". L2 at 12amps for ~ 1.5 hours.
- L2 for at least an hour at SCE in Irwindale.
- At least four hours at Pomona College in Claremont.
- At least 1.5 hours at Fontana Nissan.
- Arrived home with an SOC above "low battery warning".

Yes, this can be done, but it'd be much better with Quick Chargers, or a 6.6 kW charger upgrade, or an overnight stay in Pasadena! At least I had things to do while charging. And it definitely was cool to show up in LA with the LEAF. :D

249 miles, from Walnut Creek CA to Shasta County, on the second day of my 300+mile drive home, after picking up my LEAF in Petaluma, on May 16.

The Davis-to-Chico leg of this trip was the longest between charges, 90 miles, and I got there with a scant 2 bars left.

My own longest drive on one charge, since I've had my LEAF, was 93.4 miles, with close to 6,000 ft of ascent and descent, but that took me past the LBW.

I still haven't seen the turtle...

My longest drive in one day was 209 miles, from Exeter to Santa Cruz. Charged in Fresno and Los Banos.
The next day I continued on to San Francisco. If you include that, then it's 286 miles.

johnr said:
The next day I continued on to San Francisco. If you include that, then it's 286 miles.

I guess a trip over a week or three, coast to coast, would be the winner. But, it seems that there are two distinct categories; the single day event, and the mega trip over many days.

Data points:

1 day- Sunland, CA to Santa Barbara and back- 193 miles (90 mile leg without recharging)

Over multiple days- 11,591 miles since beginning of May 2011 :lol: .

Single day - single charge 126 miles. Relatively flat ground. Just below 70 degree temps. Surface streets and sub 52mph freeway speeds from south O.C. up into LA county and back. 7 miles showing on the screen. Some day, I hope to CRUSH the 132 mile track range - on the streets. btw, my tires are set at . . . about . . . . well, lets just say they're a bit higher than most.
:D
What say we form a 3 to 5 Leaf caravan ... like migrating birds, and/or cyclists do ... tucked in behind each other nice an tight ... where the one in front cuts the wind for a while, then trades off with the others. I'll bet collectively, the caravan could hit 150 miles each ! !
woo hoo ! !

my longest was the first Seattle Owners Meet. total was about 122.3 miles i think. i charged for 45 mins in Renton and 75+ minutes in Auburn and only charged enough to make it home. by that time it had been a long day! really thought i had shorted myself when i went to "_ _ _" when still 7 miles from home (before the adjusted GOM!!) but i made it!...with probably 50 feet to spare

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=291&b=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My greatest distance day was... yesterday. 239km (149 miles). Started at 100%, had about 2 hours L2 charge and a 10 minutes QC. Ended at VLBW, 23gids.

hill said:
Single day - single charge 126 miles. Relatively flat ground. Just below 70 degree temps. Surface streets and sub 52mph freeway speeds from south O.C. up into LA county and back. 7 miles showing on the screen. Some day, I hope to CRUSH the 132 mile track range - on the streets. btw, my tires are set at . . . about . . . . well, lets just say they're a bit higher than most. :D
Spill the beans - just what are you running? I'm running low 40s myself...
hill said:
What say we form a 3 to 5 Leaf caravan ... like migrating birds, and/or cyclists do ... tucked in behind each other nice an tight ... where the one in front cuts the wind for a while, then trades off with the others. I'll bet collectively, the caravan could hit 150 miles each ! !
woo hoo ! !
Should help, but getting close enough even at 40 mph is difficult unless everyone is _really_ paying attention. On a bike, you usually are since your skin depends on it! On the bike you usually need to be within 2-3' to make the most of it. At 40 mph in the car you probably need to be within 1 car length. I'd prefer to be on a closed test track at those kinds of following distances.

I don't think these guys were trying to draft:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16027006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A luxury sports car outing in Japan has ended in what may be one of the most expensive car crashes in history.

Eight Ferraris, three Mercedes-Benzes, a Lamborghini and two other vehicles were involved in the pile-up in the southern prefecture of Yamaguchi.

We've had our LEAF since last month and the record for a one day trip is 212.9 miles. Carwings says 5 hours travel time, with a total of 50.2 kWh used. Two charging stops were made; one L2 for about an hour and a half in Woodland, and then a QC in Vacaville on the way to Rohnert Park.

My maximal distance within a day is Straumsbukta (near Tromsø, Northern Norway) to somewhere between Muonio and Kolari (Northern Finland). I think that is around 380 km or 235 miles we drove altogether that day until we reached the destination camping site. We started at 00:30 in the morning and were in Muonio sometime in the afternoon/evening. We charged 3 times on the way. No quick charges. That was last year.
Longest trip for us is Tromsø-Helsinki-Tromsø during this years summer vacation. But we "cheated" (as always) by using the car/night train for most of the trip (Kolari-Tampere, Helsinki-Kolari) :), so we only drove 1100 km of that trip. Fully (over-) loaded with roof rack and roof box the Leaf still drove 115 km - 130 km on a single charge before reaching LBW. But the speed was set to 80 Leaf km/h and that probably corresponds to 74 or less km/h in reality. We enjoyed our vacation in spite of one "movie morning", when the whole family of five watched a movie on my laptop between 00 AM and 02 AM while recharging at a closed fuel station in the middle of nowhere to reach the nights/mornings destination... All planning can be destroyed when someone forgets an important item at the previous location and you have to return after 20 km of driving making for an additional 40 km, and thereby pushing the destination out of reach (180 km instead of 140 km). If not for the already booked hotel room, we would have just changed the plan...

370-ish miles (595km)

June 19, 2012

First Nissan LEAF driving the length of the then newly opened West Coast Electric Highway.

Grants Pass, Oregon to Hilt, California to Vancouver, Washington.

The next day, June 20, 2012

280-ish miles (450km)

Portland, Oregon to White Rock, British Columbia

My max distance in a day was 236 miles. Started at 100%, L2 charging for ~5 hr total

1.5 hours at half way point there, 2hours miles at destination. 1.5 hours at half way point back.

Back