May Deliveries! Or... May(be)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an email from McKinstry - Electrix (for EV Project), they need to install the charger by April 30th. Still no change in DB (Month of May). :D

Any idea what the time between the installation deadline and delivery might be?

Month of May
VIN ???
EV Project approved, installation dead line April 30th.

camasleaf said:
I just got an email from McKinstry - Electrix (for EV Project), they need to install the charger by April 30th. Still no change in DB (Month of May). :D

Any idea what the time between the installation deadline and delivery might be?

Hey Camasleaf, I am also in Camas. I got my Leaf on March 18 and McKinstry installed the Blink on Friday, March 4. At the time of scheduling the EVSE to be installed, my dashboard said my Leaf would arrive the week of March 24. I got the 7 day email from Nissan on March 14, I think. I also used Wilsonville Nissan. I figure in the week and a half I have used the Leaf, I haven't spent $100 on gas. Hope this helps.

Month of May
VIN ???
EV Project approved, installation dead line April 30th.

HIOJim said:
Read the news and make your own judgements. I take no pleasure in where we are headed as a society, but it is what it is. I'm just not going to return my car so Beachcliffs can boost his EV street cred. :)

Who the heck said anything about anyone returning their cars? If I were in the opposite position, I certainly would not be volunteering to return my car either.

EDIT: removed potentially inflammatory comment as there really is no good reason for this to become personal. I am not really sure why others feel so compelled. :p

HIOJim said:
Some of that might be a reaction to a perceived 'holier than thou' attitude on the part of some 4/20 True Early Adapters. Or their insistence that the 5/15 'unwashed masses' should care deeply about them getting their car for $5,000 less than we have to pay.
If 5/15's are the unwashed masses, then so are the 4/21's, and probably the 4/20 afternoons as well. On this forum 69% reserved on 4/20, 12% in the rest of April, 10% in May, etc. It will not get Beachcliffs his car appreciably faster for Nissan to take away your assigned car. They'd just be breaking another promise to you.

It might help a little bit for them to juggle car assignments for folks like me who don't have weeks or VINs yet. I'd bet that's what they're doing now, and it's why lots of us haven't yet received either the week-of email nor the "back to pending" email. What will help a lot is the 1500 cars in port, and finding secondary parts suppliers where necessary, and getting long predictable periods of power to Oppama in between black-outs.

In the end I still expect it's more likely to make weeks of difference rather than months. I'd expect that nearly all of the 4/20 reservation holders would end up getting the $5,000 CA rebate. And it's not $5,000 difference, but $2,000 to $2,500 difference depending on what next year's CA rebate is set to.
resdate.png

Being in the May(be) group and having heard nothing from Nissan, I feel the same angst over the Nissan order filling Snafu as everyone else.
Maybe a little levity and humor will help.
Try the following link:

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=J5R5T69GM2AH

If you like the video and find it humorous, vote for us to win the Leaf!!

Tim and Rebecca Lee

walterbays said:
If 5/15's are the unwashed masses, then so are the 4/21's, and probably the 4/20 afternoons as well. On this forum 69% reserved on 4/20, 12% in the rest of April, 10% in May, etc. It will not get Beachcliffs his car appreciably faster for Nissan to take away your assigned car. They'd just be breaking another promise to you.
I apologize if anyone has taken any of my comments to imply that there is a difference in quality of character between people who reserved on an earlier date than any other. The only reason I have ever mentioned 4/20 is that originally Nissan indicated that reservation date would be primary factor in determining delivery timing. This appears to not be the case both by a) reviewing the preponderance of early September orders that have already received their cars, or are scheduled to receive them fairly shortly and b) comments Nissan has reportedly made directly to other members of this forum. For the record, I begrudge no one (who is civil, anyway) their current place in line (no matter their reservation or order date). Am I happy about the current situation, clearly not. And yes, I think it is very reaonable to expect Nissan to either explain the screwup or the valid strategy behind their delivery timing. If there was a screwup, then I also think it very reasonable to expect Nissan to take steps to rectify the matter (hopefully without breaking any other promises to fellow consumers who are attempting to lead by example in thier purchase of an EV).
walterbays said:
In the end I still expect it's more likely to make weeks of difference rather than months. I'd expect that nearly all of the 4/20 reservation holders would end up getting the $5,000 CA rebate. And it's not $5,000 difference, but $2,000 to $2,500 difference depending on what next year's CA rebate is set to.
While I hope that you are correct on both accounts, I can not share your optimism until Nissan becomes a bit more transparent about the whole matter (and until we get a better read from Sacramento about impending budget cuts).

walterbays said:
For those of us in California, there's some point at which those "weeks of difference" will mean at least $2-3,000 out of pocket (when the 2011 CA Rebate funds run out). And don't forget that it's not just the Sept. and Oct. orders who are getting "passed over" by the January mistakes...it's all of the Nov.-Dec. orders as well, which I suspect is many, if not most, of those who reserved late in the day on the 20th and for the remainder of April.

For January orders to receive vehicles ahead of four months' worth of other orders is, in fact, fundamentally unfair. Yes, it's not their fault that someone at Nissan, or an outsourcer paid by Nissan screwed up, but it's not the fault of those being skipped either.

The only "right thing" that can be done is to fix the original mistake...not by reallocating "dealer stock" but by pulling the vehicles from the January orders. Otherwise you're continuing to screw others (sorry, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that)...in this case, the Nov.-Dec. orders.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the Nov.-Dec. orders. :cry:

If the cars in port now are really from and for 2010 orders, and they were accidently assigned to 2011 orders, creating delivery (estimate) expectations, the fairest fix is to re-assign them (before delivery) to the Orders that created them, with a big appology for the messed up paperwork.

Delivery ESTIMATES are ... subject to change.
We all know that.

I just contacted my PD and was told that apparently an unknown quantity of LEAFs were destroyed in the tsunami (apparently including mine...sniff sniff :cry: ). I'd only heard about other models of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles being destroyed. Has anyone else heard this information and if so, do you have any additional details?

ahagge said:
I just contacted my PD and was told that apparently an unknown quantity of LEAFs were destroyed in the tsunami (apparently including mine...sniff sniff :cry: ).

I don't think that's true. Your PD was probably misinformed. Oppama is inside Tokyo Bay which should have protected it from the tsunami.

There is no reason for Leafs to be at Hitachi. I think this is mis-information.

Here is a better story. http://www.motorwayamerica.com/news/nissan-loses-least-2300-vehicles-earthquake-tsunami

rnkepler said:
ahagge said:

I don't think that's true. Your PD was probably misinformed. Oppama is inside Tokyo Bay which should have protected it from the tsunami.

I received the same information. My car was declared a total loss from the tsunami tidal wave. They also said anyone who had a "month of" delivery in their dashboard that was changed to pending, their car was also destroyed in transit.

My PD also read the article about Nissan's being destroyed by the tsunami, and assumed they were LEAFs based on incorrect information reported. Once one person passes along incorrect information, it seems to morph into fact, and it keeps getting passed on, kinda like playing telephone as a kid. When I pointed out to my PD that the guys on MNL say that LEAFs aren't being shipped out of that particular port, he said, "well, those guys would know more than me." :D

cinmar said:
My PD also read the article about Nissan's being destroyed by the tsunami, and assumed they were LEAFs based on incorrect information reported. Once one person passes along incorrect information, it seems to morph into fact, and it keeps getting passed on
I see one news article claiming damage to cars at "one of the major ports in Yokohama" (near Oppama). http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topi...=424709&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16

All other articles I found say that Yokohama and Oppama ports were not damaged by the tsunami, and that it was Infinitis and Zs flooded at Hitachi port.
http://imarketnews.com/node/28135
http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?...ws14mar2011j01&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=107
http://e.mydigitalfc.com/dcf/dcf/2011/03/17/ArticleHtmls/17_03_2011_161_013.shtml
http://www.carfanatics.org/thread-3875.html
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f229dea/2

You can view the relative locations of Hitachi and Oppama on the map. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...5.964669,140.133362&spn=1.876195,2.260437&z=9

Ironically, one of the articles mentioned that one of the big barriers to Leaf exports could be Japan's fuel shortage, since they need diesel to move the cars from factory to ship.

Ironically, one of the articles mentioned that one of the big barriers to Leaf exports could be Japan's fuel shortage, since they need diesel to move the cars from factory to ship.

That, and the fact that rolling blackouts keep shutting down the factory.

I am a reserve 4/20, order 10/1 (should have been in September) showing "Month of May" and watching here as my exact car is going to people who ordered in January... And to think this is only a small portion of the people who have ordered. So I called CS today and they couldn't even find my reservation for 10 minutes. They searched under Name, Reservation Number, Email Address and Phone Number. Finally she found it. Then she said they only see what we see online so she finally agreed it is a complete waste of time to even call because they can't give us any other info. I've only called twice before and last time (last month) they said they would call back with some info. No call received.

I am starting to wonder if it is worth buying this car. They are so messed up as a company and I don't know about buying a post storm car. Remember the American car quality for Friday builds back in the 70's? I could get a Lemon because of the problems. I don't mean to be insensitive and I want to help the Japanese on a personal level but from a financial perspective I think it may be a mistake.

Back