May Deliveries! Or... May(be)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last month my delivery was week of April 21st and I received 7-day e-mail on April 14th. After April 21st rolled around with no delivery my dashboard changed to week of May 8th, 20th then went to May 23rd. Recently it went back to week of May 18th. I thought that had to be significant. It was. Received a call from my dealer night of May 17th saying my car is there. No 7-day e-mail this time. I asked him how many more Leafs he was expecting and he said 61 by July. Leafs must be continuously driving out of the Port parking area heading directly to transporters. Everyone, I believe your cars will be arriving momentarily.

Having a VIN does not necessarily mean your car is on the way. I had a VIN ending 1201 and an April delivery date. The car never came, and finally CS told me 1201 is not my car. Eventually, after several more calls and a month of no information, and I have a new VIN and a new delivery date. The new VIN had someone else's name on it on MY owner's portal until someone a level above CS cleared it and I was able to register CarWings for a second time.

This time I am smarter than to believe having a VIN means anything more than having a delivery date meant. They'll send me a car IF and WHEN they bloody well feel like it, and I'm not sure I even care any more.

And my dealer didn't have any more useful information than I did. Nissan told my dealer that my car was in Portland. That was the car that never arrived, and that Nissan decided to give to someone else instead, after telling my dealer he'd get it for me. And that car was to have been a replacement for the one Nissan "lost," though I never had a VIN for that one. So the car that is supposed to come the week of June 6 is actually the THIRD car Nissan has promised me. And that's not even counting the December/January cars that were diverted to Japan after Nissan had told us 4,700 cars would be delivered to the U.S. during those months.

Can anybody blame me for not believing them?

daniel said:
.....The new VIN had someone else's name on it on MY owner's portal until someone a level above CS cleared it and I was able to register CarWings for a second time.
Can anybody blame me for not believing them?

Not me. On April 29 I am told the car is entering US on 05/09 :D . On 05/10 I am told it is still production :( . On 05/13 I am told it is not even in production yet :x . Yesterday I receive a call that my car came on Andromeda Spirit and is "ready to ship to the dealer" :D . But when CS tried to help me enter the VIN in "my owner's portal" it said that the car is already in the database :( . They promised to solve the problem and call me back :| , ...I will give them one more day.

Daniel, how long did it take "someone a level above the CS" to clear it?

And as for me, my dealer now shows two cars for me (I have two VINs in owner's portal also), neither of which is for a car I ordered (red SL-e). I've had VIN 1485 since I first received the "activate CARWINGS" email early March. Then my car sat at Long Beach for 5 weeks. Now I am told that VIN doesn't match my order number. I wonder what will finally show up when it does. If it's not what I ordered, I'll be really really angry. Seems to me they are definitely reassigning cars and the process isn't 100% ironed out, and they are not willing to acknowledge they are doing this......

daniel said:
Having a VIN does not necessarily mean your car is on the way.

You are exactly right! I've had my VIN since March 29th, and received the 'delivery soon' email on May 5th. Now it looks like a late May delivery (to my home) or early June.

camasleaf said:
Daniel, how long did it take "someone a level above the CS" to clear it?
It actually didn't take long at all. It was getting through to someone that had any idea what was going on that took time; several phone calls over 2 or 3 days, IIRC. When I finally reached someone who had a clue, she re-set my owner's portal with the new VIN.

But that had someone else's name on it. I tried to "delete" that name using the button provided, and clicking on it caused the name to disappear, but when I refreshed the screen, his name came back. I added my own name, and then got an email telling me my name had been added and I should reply to confirm that I would be a driver on this car, but I was still listed under that other guy, which was clearly not right.

Another couple of calls and they finally put me through to someone with a clue again, and she re-set the page to blank, with just the VIN, and I was able to register all over again.

The actual re-setting took no time to speak of. While we were on the phone she had me log out and log back in and all was well. It was just getting through to someone who could do it that took time. Of course, I'm just wondering how long it will take them to reallocate this car to someone else and put me back to "pending." :(

Ok I am a believer... I got mine today vin 2107... It was a breeze dealing with Ron C. and Randy at NorthBay Nissan.
By the way I say 9 more sitting in the back getting prepped for delivery 1626 was one vin on a blue one.

Wow! I just got a call from my dealer. I had e-mailed him earlier to see if they had any updated info on my delivery, since my dashboard moved up a few days - from 5/30 to 5/27.

He said they just got my car in today and that it is on a charger now. He said they will try to have it ready for me to pick up tomorrow, but this is their first leaf delivery and they want to make sure everything is right. If they don't get it ready then I won't be able to get it until monday, since their leaf mechanic only works weekdays. Oy.

I hope this means that Nissan's estimates for everyone are on the conservative side and that deliveries will come sooner. ;)

leafkabob said:
I hope this means that Nissan's estimates for everyone are on the conservative side and that deliveries will come sooner. ;)
That would be nice. But it's more likely the estimates are produced by a random number generator.

leafkabob said:
If only this were true! I just took a three week hit today.

Glenn said:
leafkabob said:
What a bummer, Glenn. Are you on the horn with CS much? Persistence seems to pay off.

gascant said:
Glenn said:
leafkabob said:
What a bummer, Glenn. Are you on the horn with CS much? Persistence seems to pay off.
Thanks, Howard, but I don't think I have the "Three Cans of Red Bull" mentality. I've called CS several times in the past few days, get just short of crossing over the line of incivility, and am politely told that "there's a problem with production; I'm very sorry but there's nothing else I can tell you." I guess I should try "escalating" (though I'd not be surprised if that's just a euphemism for "being put on hold for a few minutes while you cool your hotheadedness") but I seriously wonder if it would possibly do any good.

Glenn

My condolences to those that are still getting pushed back, but I echo what others have posited - the Leafs seem to finally be rolling out en mass. Even though I'm an early October order, my VIN (3382) seemed to be so much higher than most of those being delivered that I expected to be pushed into June.

But a few days ago my delivery week crept up from 5/30 to 5/26, and lo and behold last night I got The Call. It took 5 hours at the dealer today (not entirely his fault), and Carwings still doesn't work, but I now have an all-electric vehicle that after charging tonight will tomorrow magically become a solar-powered car. That such a thing is possible still boggles my mind.

Fingers crossed for the rest of my brothers and sisters in the Forgotten Club - hang in there, your day will come and it will be glorious.

gascant said:
Glenn said:
leafkabob said:
I doubt calling will help once you have the VIN. Nissan is processing the vehicles asap.
Unfortunately there is still apparently a long line with cars backed up in LB.
Nissan needs the money like any company. Keep the faith that Nissan is working on them.

What a week this has been. I got a call from a contractor to install the ECOtality approved Blink EVSE and I ask them: “would you put on a second meter” and they said no. The next day I ask them “are you an electric contractor and would you install a second meter. They said yes and this started a week long adventure trying to coordinate with PG&E, a contractor and city inspector (none of which has ever done this before. Not to mention the San Leandro’s automated online inspection does not work. I and the contractor waited last Monday (May 16th) for 5 hours for the inspector no arrive even though we received conformation email). So, the weirdest thing about this is when the inspector did arrive he check to see of the screws on the gutter that was above the two meter panels were tight and then said “I need to check the grounding on the hot water lines.” I ask him what this had to do with installing a EVSE and he did not answer. He sign off on a an intermediate inspection and said when he gets back he will check the grounding strap between the cold and hot water is installed before approving the final. So, to make a long story short, the inspector never looked at the 2nd meter or the installation for the Blink meter. What he did look at was my 6 AWG grounding strap between the cold and hot water lines. Once he was satisfied with that (without every looking at the new work that was done) he approved the permit for the work. In the mean time PG&E was operating to their own agenda. After the city of San Leandro approve the 2nd meter called PG&E and got the following email:

1. The City of San Leandro will have to FAX a meter release directly to PG&E. They have the number. At this time, nothing has been entered in our system to indicate that PG&E has received the meter release from the City. You can contact the City of San Leandro to check on the status of the meter release.
2. I will have to assess the PG&E electric distribution system that serves your home to determine if the loading on the transformer, wires, etc. is within an acceptable range.
3. I will have to check your new meter panel to determine if it meets with PG&E standards. If you are able to e-mail me photos of the panels & weatherhead, that would help to start the process.
4. You will be billed a $250 per meter charge and PG&E will have to receive payment.
5. I will schedule a meter set.

The long and short of it is PG&E said they would have to install a new 2nd transformer to support the load of my car.

The most frustrating part of this for me is I paid the contractor $350 to deal with permit and other issues and I wound taking off a day and one half from work this with to meet inspectors and PG&E.

Anyway, the bottom line is I think I am through the hard part. I am paying PG&E $250 for the second meter tonight and hopefully they will put in the meter sometime next week.

So, getting a 2nd meter for the EVSE to take advantage of the cheaper electrical rates is a BIG hassle.

Did I say I got my 7 day notice on my 12th and if I am lucky I will get a call from the dealer tomorrow or it is another week of agonizing waiting. Note, my estimated delivery is May 16 (could it be another unkept delivery from Nissan?) My dealer (San Leandro Nissan) said 99 percent of the car deliveries happen at San Leandro Nissan on Friday. So, I am keeping my finger crossed.

daniel said:
LEAFfan said:
seandexter said:
'Week of May 31' actually means anytime from the 31st to June 6.

:lol: Like "week of April 22" means 'when we fell like it you might get your car'. Don't count on it.

I didn't say they would get their car, I was just letting them know what 'week of' means. ;)
In Japanese, "Week of" means "In six months from..."

Well, now this all the waiting makes perfect sense?

Call PG&E and threaten to plug in two hair dryers and run them on high for 5 hours! If you really want to push them over the edge, do it at 3pm, run the Air conditioner and turn on the oven!

Did they tell you not to do any cooking or to not use your air conditioner until they install a second transformer? The should have!! A LEAF charging at 3.3 kW just isn't a big deal unless there are many of them (like 3 or more) on the same transformer or the transformer is ALREADY OVERCAPACITY form load that's probably existed for the last 5 YEARS or more!

Are they charging you anything for the tranmsformer upgrade? Really what PG&E is probably doing is hiding decades of neglect in not having previously upgraded their transformer for increasing neighborhood load - new big screen TVs, Air Conditioners etc. by tagging it on you and the EV instead of their PG&E's own decades of neglect.

I'm making some assumptions since I don't know the current transformer rating and loading, but this is reallly suspicious unless you have two neighbors both charging their Tesla Roadsters at full power!

leafkabob said:
Wow! I just got a call from my dealer. I had e-mailed him earlier to see if they had any updated info on my delivery, since my dashboard moved up a few days - from 5/30 to 5/27.

He said they just got my car in today and that it is on a charger now. He said they will try to have it ready for me to pick up tomorrow, but this is their first leaf delivery and they want to make sure everything is right. If they don't get it ready then I won't be able to get it until monday, since their leaf mechanic only works weekdays. Oy.

Congradulations! I don't think Nissan estimates for every are conservitive! For the most part they are just way off. I have a delivery of week of May 16 and it is now May 19th. Also, I waited 3 weeks with my est. delivery at April 22 and it was not until May 11th that that delivery date was updated.

Back