Mercedes B-Class Range-Extended Electric Car coming in 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

One more PHEV to be released next year. This time from Mercedes. It will use a brand new design/platform created for electric / fuel cell vehicles.

100 km (62 miles) on electric only - with a small ICE to provide extended range.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1071788_mercedes-plans-b-class-range-extended-electric-car-for-u-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Measuring 171 inches in length, 70 inches wide, and 61 inches in height, the B-Class E-Cell Plus will compete directly with the 2012 Chevrolet Volt and 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid in the range-extended marketplace.

With a drag coefficient of just 0.26, the B-Class E-Cell is more aerodynamic than the 2012 Chevrolet Volt, and almost as aerodynamic as the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid.

Also it would be a crossover like high car, rather than a Volt/Prius like hatch. That makes it an attractive car for me ... but we don't know what Merc means by "limited numbers" and whether it will be available outside CA. For all we know it will be lease only in CA.

Mercedes-b-class-US--537x392.jpg

I'm interested. I'm keeping my eyes open for a PHEV with an EV range of 40-ish miles and a usable and flexible interior. Then I can replace my LEAF after the lease runs out with a small sports EV, if one is available by then.

Boomer23 said:
I'm interested. I'm keeping my eyes open for a PHEV with an EV range of 40-ish miles and a usable and flexible interior. Then I can replace my LEAF after the lease runs out with a small sports EV, if one is available by then.

Perhaps not as stylish, but not bad looking either as well as a more flexible interior than a straight hatch ... I love MBZ as well but not at $60K or more; I hope to see it up close at Chicago Auto Show early next month along with hopefully others coming in '13 and beyond.

2013 Ford C-Max Energi PHEV (they will also have a non plug-in hybrid)

01-ford-c-max-energi630opt.jpg

redLEAF said:
Boomer23 said:

Perhaps not as stylish, but not bad looking either as well as a more flexible interior than a straight hatch ... I love MBZ as well but not at $60K or more; I hope to see it up close at Chicago Auto Show early next month along with hopefully others coming in '13 and beyond.

2013 Ford C-Max Energi PHEV (they will also have a non plug-in hybrid)

Thanks, and yep, I'm aware of the C-Max. I'm seeing, though, that the EV range might only be a target of 20 miles, with evnow's estimate of a real world 17 miles on his chart. I'm also basing this opinion on Ford's stated EV range of the Fusion PHEV that has an EV range target of 20 miles, and that Ford is probably using the same drivetrain and batteries in the C-Max. I want more EV range, MORE I TELL YOU, MORE! Oh, sorry, got carried away there for a moment. :oops:

Back