Michigan: Increased EV Registration Fees

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
They are tracking miles of road use.
That seems fairer than a flat rate.

Which could easily be accomplished by having owners report odometer miles annually as part of car registrations or have odometer readings done as part of an safety/emissions check if states wanted to implement such things.

Easier, cheaper and without all the let me know where you are at, how fast you are driving, how many passengers in the car and everything else your car knows about you every second reported in real time.

Check out the website and ask yourself if it would look any different if Orwell himself had written the text. OReGo (http://www.myorego.org/)

and yes, you can read a copy of the law there and see all the people who have access to that data including your lean or lease holder and the law does NOT require that THEY keep it confidential. It just says Oregon Transportation has to keep it confidential (but can turn it over to any contractor they wish to provide you with valuable "services."

And if law enforcement wants your complete driving history, they need only a local court warrant, say one issued by a traffic court, to get all your data released to the police and they can tun it over to anyone they want. God (Allah) forbid you drove your car to a Mosque to pray, that's certainly probable cause for a warrant in this day and age (and don't doubt for a second there is not some local yokel judge who would buy that argument and sign off).

If you want to live in that world because you think the per mile charge is worth the government intrusion, you go for it. But I'll pass, at least while I still have the option.

dgpcolorado said:
The three public charging stations in my area are part of a designated "EV highway" that is intended to facilitate EV travel. As longer range EVs make our current short range LEAFs obsolete I expect that Level 2 public charging will become unnecessary; it is more of a transition to a future when EVs are ubiquitous IMO.

Where is this EV highway? I'd love to travel it if I can get there from the Front Range!

pncguy said:
dgpcolorado said:
The three public charging stations in my area are part of a designated "EV highway" that is intended to facilitate EV travel. As longer range EVs make our current short range LEAFs obsolete I expect that Level 2 public charging will become unnecessary; it is more of a transition to a future when EVs are ubiquitous IMO.

Where is this EV highway? I'd love to travel it if I can get there from the Front Range!
I don't know if a LEAF can do it but the part in my area includes Montrose, Ouray, Durango and Mountain Village (Telluride). The fact that this area is highly scenic might be a factor, or it may be a general push to put charging stations in areas that don't have them. Whether there are plans to link this area to others I couldn't say. This is the sign "Charging Station Travel Corridor" sign at the Mountain Village location:
15148662931_793ba4924b_z.jpg

downeykp said:
Dave, I am going to respectfully disagree that raising fees is a good thing for EVs. I might be all well and good to charge $100 for wear and tear on the highways, however as someone who never really used the charging infrastructure in WA, why should I have to pay an extra $50 a year for making the charging infrastructure better? Its the same argument when it comes to paying taxes to support the ferry system. I don't use the ferries either so why should I help finance something that I do not use. All of these things should be point of sale. Pay for the service when you need it.
This discussion is moot for me because the Leaf and I are in Hawaii. There are not many charging terminals here but the ones that are here are free with one exception of one fast charger.
Aloha, Kelly

the argument that paying for services you do not directly use is hurting you is something that was dismissed years ago. Supporting services in your local area improves quality of life for all in the area. Do you feel the same way about paying property taxes to support the school system after your kids are grown and moved from the area?

A lot of people feel that the money is "wasted" but you might feel differently if the school system fails and you are a victim of burglaries and vandalism....

Back