Mini-QC Rapid-Charger (RC) Project for LEAF QC Port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before connection to the battery, we need to be able to
control the power supply Output voltage, and then measure
the (essentially no) current out as a safety check

When finally connected to the car's battery, we need to
be able to change the Output current in response to the
Robomo controller's interpretation of the car's request
for current, which can ramp by 2 amps each 0.1 seconds.

Just getting power is not difficult. Making it sufficiently
clean, efficient, and controllable is the real problem.

I can control them.. to a point but I've never done a bank of them before.. maybe something I'll tinker with since I have a ton of them.

But I know a PS guy at AeroVironment that might be able to help ;)

HV is kinda cool!.. :D

AeroVironment makes or sells QC stations, so is likely to be a Chademo
licensee, so we will have to pass on any help from somebody
associated with them. But, thanks.

Also, HV can kill, so please do not experiment unless you are
sufficiently skilled to do the work safely.

garygid said:

Why the censorship on info? I don't see that as safe. The actual cost to get this officially and legally isn't insurmountable. Is that the issue? If so, lets find a way to get you funded.

If its some other reason, please give us a hint.

A milestone:
Last night the first full Robomo charge was completed,
at about 28 amps DC, apparently without upsetting the car.

Using 240 volts from a standard home 50-amp breaker,
the charging used the LEAF's QC port, and completed the
charge in two sessions, the first stopped by the car at the
"80%" point, and the second stopped by the car at "full".

There is lots of work remaining, but the basic handshaking
and communication seems to be working well enough
to initiate, charge, taper off, and terminate "gracefully".

Controlling the Power Supply still needs refining.

At this 10 kW level, the power is non-trivial, but
it is hoped to be able to at least double that.

Cheers indeed, Gary :D

The cost for the "available" Chademo document is not
the issue. If you start the process of buying it, you will
discover that you have to agree to many constraints.

The Robomo Project is not interested in being constrained.
Also, it is not clear that there is any necessary information
contained in the document that we need to make progress.

The major remaining effort is in designing a suitable isolated
power supply, and it is unlikely that such matters are discussed
or resolved in the document that is offered.

So, likely little benefit, and for certain substantial encumbrances.

The goal of the Robomo Project is to discover the necessary
information, and remain completely un-constrained.

garygid said:

That's not where I was going.. AVinc also is the world's largest when it comes to UAV's (drones), solar and power technology, etc,etc.. And that's something that I do with them on the side.

So me asking a few people there has nothing to do with the vehicle propulsion group. Its a few "buddies" in the UAV dept that know HV ;)

As for me around HV, I guess you didn't see my latest project. I'm comfortable around it. I work on HV alot, even liquid immersion cooled units (hence what I said to evdriver..

Again, only trying to pull resources together. These AVinc engineer guys at the end of the day are just tinkerers and reverse engineers like all of us.

Jason

garygid said:
A milestone:

Excellent, should we start a repository for files on this project? github?
I'd like to start with the robomo canbus communication protocol as pulled from the leaf's canbus, only if Mr. Robomo feels its ready of course.
I can then add my 3d files for the connector and specs for the pins, though they will be paralleled on the thingiverse.

To get more collaboration, we need motivation, to get that, we have to have something to work with. A canbus guide and photos of it working is great motivation!

the next version might be tough because we might start from scratch instead of using existing designs.
I have an idea in my head for a machine that winds litz wire, with 3d printed parts of couse ;-)
I was thinking of a small version of this:
FN0190M.jpg

But this is where we need someone who has knowledge of HV and switching power supply transformer design. (RF power transformer ~ 20khz?)
If you can answer these questions, we need your help!

how thick do the strands need to be? (calculate skin effect?)
how many strands do we need? (total power without over heating)
what is the total length to wind the RF power transformer? (how many windings on the transformer?)

garygid said:
A milestone:

Using 240 volts from a standard home 50-amp breaker,
the charging used the LEAF's QC port, and completed the
charge in two sessions, the first stopped by the car at the
"80%" point, and the second stopped by the car at "full". ......snip......
Why am I suddenly finding a smirk on my face? Can it be due to the perfectly good yet unused circuit & 50-amp breaker in our main service panel?

:cool:

Gary,
Are you willing/able to publish the precise sequence (msgId, etc) that resulted in the successful charge (congratulations, BTW :))? Is the Chademo controller you developed generic enough that someone could use it to control a variety of custom power supplies? or will everyone have to write their own controller?

garygid said:
A milestone:

Bravo! Well done! Hats off to you and RB.
Have you been able to confirm if the car needs the 500V iso signal before closing contactors?

This could also be used on a normal 240/40 circuit right? Help us poor 3.3kw charger people get 7.2kw?

I'm sure you guys have seen the DC power supply that Valery (Electrik Motor Werks) has developed and he's working on or has the Chademo system done.

His PS is a 12kW / 70A DC unit.. for the price of a Brusa. But no efficiency specs have really be published. Brusa at MAX POWER LOSS is 90.1% effec. It climbs if you drop the power.

Pretty nice.

To quote him...

update: the 20kW rated version will hit the shelves on our online store in a week or two!
Intro pricing will be same as our current 12kW PFC charging system - 70% more watts for the same $$$! ;-))
As I mentioned before, it will have a full digital control our 12kW customers enjoy today - LCD interface, full programmability in field, etc.We have ramped this design to at least 25kW which it was able to sustain for 15-20 min (ambient ~27C) before capacitor temp forced derating.

We are working on a CHAdeMO with some partners now. Hopefully this summer...

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/25-40kw-pfc-charger-high-voltage-82629.html

TonyWilliams said:
JasonA said:
We are working on a CHAdeMO with some partners now. Hopefully this summer...

The race is on!!! Then, the "reverse" needs to be made for all the cars suffering without CHAdeMO at all; CHAdeMO station to my battery!
I haven't decided if I"m going this route and put the Chademo plug on the front port, or add a second J1772 connector to the front to drive his new DC power supply or 2 water cooled Brusa's in the rear.

My issue is I have no Chademo hardware in my car so I'm really stuck using the Brusas.. Which is working great! :D

WOW.

This has really come on guys. WELL DONE.

I'm thinking the DCQC option using CHAdeMO would be awesome for those who live in areas with regular brownouts-power cuts. I'm guessing if you can figure out how to get power IN then getting power OUT is also possible? Imagine using your LEAF as a backup power supply using this system? Or taking your car camping and have it provide power at night?

NICE.

Nikki.

aminorjourney said:
WOW.

This has really come on guys. WELL DONE.

I'm thinking the DCQC option using CHAdeMO would be awesome for those who live in areas with regular brownouts-power cuts. I'm guessing if you can figure out how to get power IN then getting power OUT is also possible? Imagine using your LEAF as a backup power supply using this system? Or taking your car camping and have it provide power at night?

NICE.

Nikki.

and ev-jumpstart cables :p
if a buddy is low on charge, you can give a little away

Back