Mitsu priced the i-MiEV at $27,990

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I thought the interior of the JDM version felt a bit "basic" compared to what we're used to from a car these days, and certainly when compared to the LEAF. I remember that aftermarket looking, DIN sized, head-unit seeming very cheap.

I'd agree with all of that, Mike.

Still was a fun drive at city speeds, but I'd sure expect to pay a LOT less for the one I drove than for a LEAF. That said, the US version will likely be nicer, and the optioned-up models nicer still. I don't expect any of them to be as nice as a LEAF, though. The electronics and telematics weren't apparent on the one I drove, and I don't expect them to be as well developed as Nissan's.

KeiJidosha said:
If ES version sold here with a 6.6kW charger, I'd be on it.

They don't mention the charger in the press release, but judging from the charge times, it looks like a 3 kW unit, huh? Maybe this is where Nissan got the idea that they could cheap out on the one they put in the LEAF, considering that the iMiEV has been around Japan a while longer.

Boomer23 said:
They don't mention the charger in the press release, but judging from the charge times, it looks like a 3 kW unit, huh? Maybe this is where Nissan got the idea that they could cheap out on the one they put in the LEAF, considering that the iMiEV has been around Japan a while longer.

Booooo! And now I've had to cool my heals and wait for 2 hours to recharge enough on a public charger, rather than 1 hour would have needed to wait at 6.6kw, I'm even more convinced that it was the wrong decision! :lol:

mwalsh said:
Boomer23 said:

Booooo! And now I've had to cool my heals and wait for 2 hours to recharge enough on a public charger, rather than 1 hour would have needed to wait at 6.6kw, I'm even more convinced that it was the wrong decision! :lol:

Yeah, Mike, you can :lol: , but that's exactly what kept our friend KeiJidosha out of a LEAF. The man loves to ROAM!

i judge cars on how well they fit my needs and this one does. its smaller, but not too small. with an EV, size is not critical as long as it seats at least 4. its not like the Prius which does multiple day car trips where the extra space is needed. i can accept a bit of cramming in an EV since its mostly transportation.

we still have to admit that most driving is still done solo, so i believe this car will have a great niche market and will help to move more options into the EV market. i want a full lineup of Pricing and ranges available. so you simply can buy what u need or can afford to pay for.

the Tesla S got it right. we need some range options at a lower price point. this will bring more into the market.

show of hands; how many would pay extra for their Leaf if it had a guaranteed 150 mile real world range?

DaveinOlyWA said:
show of hands; how many would pay extra for their Leaf if it had a guaranteed 150 mile real world range?

*raises hand*

The only rub? I'm assuming that 50 miles would push the MSRP up 6 to 10K (if the original 24kWh pack runs $500 to $800 per kWh). That would move the long range Leaf out of my budget.

That being said, if the extra 50 miles was only $2-3K? I'm in!

price is always a huge consideration, but i know a lot of people who are not getting the Leaf due to this minor range increase. one guy currently spends almost $100 a week in gas. He said he would pay plenty as he fully expects his gas bill to exceed $500 a month by summer

a real 150 mile range would probably require an additional 18 kwh...too much money. now a "paper" 150 would require 12 kwh... that would be at least $6000.

but most of the people i know on the fence only need a real 100 miles. meaning a real 120 would only need around 8 kwh more for $4000. i know a few who said they would pay $5000 extra for that. now keep in mind, in WA, there is no sales tax which essentially reduces the cost $3,000+. now we dont have solar but we do have hydro.

its funny, because this discussion would be eliminated if employers provided plugs

It disappoints me that to get the quick charge option requires the SE and the premium package. So the price goes from $27,990 for the ES to $29,990 for the SE and than another $2,790 for the premium pack binging the total to $32,790. Destination charges will be on top of this from what I understand. Why not just offer the quick charge port option by itself?

I know Nissan pretty much did the same thing requiring the SL in order to add the quick charge option. So $32,780 for the SV to $33,720 for the SL plus $700 for the quick charge option bringing the total to $34,420. So if one was doing comparison shopping and wanted the quick charge option we are talking about a difference of only $1,630 between the two vehicles.

As far as hand raising for another 50 miles range I have my hand raised since I feel that 150 miles is the real sweet spot for me allowing travel between the San Francisco Bay Area and the Sacramento Area without stopping to charge. But at what cost? Not as important though once I start seeing evidence of the quick charge infrastructure. If the 150 option added additional weight thus reducing efficiency I would probably pass though.

That being said I am very happy and excited to see this vehicle offered in the states. I will be keeping my Leaf for now however :)

ummm....well, "studies show" (this means i cannot find the link!!)

that quick charge providing 120 miles of range (iow, 80% of 150) would increase "demand" of EVs by more than 15%, by far the largest single increase of people who state they are interested in EVs.

with that much range, its 2 hours of driving which is not a bad interval to take breaks with to begin with. on my Disney trip, on the way back, our breaks varied from 2 to 4 hours apart. we did not need gas so much (filled up twice on way up) but after a day of driving, day 2 required more leg stretch stops especially with a 4 YO

Back