Mk1 and Mk2 identification

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pemifer

Hi!
There is probably a post about this but i couldn't find it.
How do i identify a Mk1 or a Mk2 Leaf?
I read somewhere that Mk2 started in 2013, when?
All Leafs from 2013 are Mk2?
Thank you!

The easiest visual cue to distinguish the Mk1 vs. Mk2 is that only Mk1 cars have the side marker lights on for front fenders. There are some other things that are a bit more obscure, like the doors and hood are aluminum on the Mk1 vs. steel on the Mk2, and the brake lights are brighter on the Mk1 vs. the Mk2. The front footwells (where the mats go) are also shaped differently on the Mk1 vs 2, and of course the Charger assembly is in the rear between the rear suspension mounts on the Mk1, vs. over the motor in the Mk2.

OrientExpress said:
The easiest visual cue to distinguish the Mk1 vs. Mk2 is that only Mk1 cars have the side marker lights on for front fenders..

Keeping in mind that we have been getting some new members from outside North America lately, this difference is only found on 2013+ US and Canadian models. Cars sold elsewhere still have this feature.

Another difference that I think does apply around the globe is the parking brake. The 2011/2012 models use an electric parking brake with the set/release lever in the center console. Later models use a foot-operated manual parking brake to the far left side of the driver's footwell.

I think the US got Mk2 Leafs a little earlier than for instance Europe too? In Europe Mk2 came mid-2013, sometime in June if I am not mistaken. Thus leaving early 2013-Leaf being Mk1, whereas the later ones are Mk2. There was some unsold Mk1s which were sold after the arrival of the Mk2 too, so in Europe you need to check thouroughly before buying a second-hand 2013 Leaf.

Back