Modify ELM327 mini from CAR CAN bus to EV CAN bus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
The ACC12 does not work. They are trying to find a solution to having it off when plugged in.
Is that right? Did you get one of the "ACC12"-modded units to try? From the other thread, my understanding was that only units with the earlier "SW12" mod (like mine) had been sent out so far, and that Brian was waiting to send out the newer ACC12 mod (which he said DID power down the unit entirely) until more testing could be done on why it hung up the app on exit. Is there more info I have missed?

TT

If the ACC12 mod is not working, it’s news to me :)

The first version that I sent out, I labeled as SW12 and that one did not power off the ELM327. You can check for yourself by looking for a little red LED – if lit, it’s powered. The second version that I made I labeled ACC12 and the only one I have sent out so far is to Turbo3. I still get the hanging issue, and it occurs for me with or without an adaptor, so I am still leaning to an old OS being my trouble. I was waiting to do an OS upgrade to see if Turbo3 wanted me to test anything under my old OS. I haven’t heard anything, so I’ll probably upgrade my OS soon.

Having said that, I’ll be happy to provide further modification services, but with a few caveats. Turbo3 has said not to connect to the EV CAN buss, so we shouldn’t do it and if we do, I say we shouldn’t expect support on the software side. It seems unlikely that using ELM’s modded for Accessory power are going to be mainstream, so again, we shouldn’t expect support on the software side. Pretty much I’d expect that any mod I do going forward will be unsupported.

If you’re OK with that, feel free to email me ([email protected] for first emails) what you’d like and I’ll see if I can do it. I’ve already put together a new version of my guide, showing the ACC12 mod, and I’ll add that to the first post for posterity since we should have no need for further EV CAN buss mods.

TomT, I sent you an email.

Yes, what I meant was when you did the ACC 12, you're connection no longer worked. Therefore, the mod didn't work. I'll try it with mine. Thanks.

Fairwood Red, why do you have to cut pin 16? Can't you just unsolder the wire and re-solder it to pin 8? Or does leaving pin 16 still keep the power on even though the wire has been removed? Thanks.

In the mini elm-device that is being modified, there is not a simple
wire going to pin 16 (the always-on power). Instead, the pin goes into
a printed circuit board, where it is difficult to isolate the pin without
actually cutting the pin itself.

In the "stubby" version, yes, it is simply moving a wire from
pin 16 to pin 8.

Thanks for the great work.

------
For the "stubby" units that I modified from CAN to EV bus,
I will be happy to reverse the modification.

garygid is correct. They only wires present in the mini version are the ones that I add in. Note that in the new version "ACC12" mod, I completely remove pin 16 from the OBDII connector.

Back