Modular J1772 to NEMA 14-50

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RakesProgress said:
You think I can use this to plug in my Leaf at an RV park?
NO, what you need is an adapter to plug your EVSE into the NEMA 14-50R at a 50a site.
Or you can use the included L1 cord and plug into the NEMA 5-20R

Depending on your EVSE it will probably have a 6-20P or 6-50P connector.
You will probably need to make an adapter from parts at Home Depot.

EVDRIVER said:
< cut >
If you have a Leaf and an EVSE like the Leviton for example you can just cut the plug off the end and swap with a 30A male twist connector. Then make a 1' long cable with the Leviton plug on one end and a male 30A twist on the other end. This pigtail allows one to take the Leviton or other EVSE along and use various pigtails for different conventional plugs. I will post some samples here at some point once people need them. If you have a 120/240 EVSE you can even have a 120 pigtail(s).

I suggest changing the name of this thread to EVSE ADAPTORS, then all this talk can go in one area. There will be much I can assure. We will likely have and area added for schematics in general at the main forum in time...

Hi EVDRIVER,

Could you post some pics or part numbers and prices of the:
1. 30A twist connector(s) presumably a "mating pair"
2. what type of 1 foot electrical cable required? (i.e what wire gauge etc)

I like this idea, and it's exactly what I intend to do with a L2 EVSE. Since our LEAFs come with only a 3.3kW charger, I assume that given 240V, a 16A L2 EVSE is as good as it gets right? 240V x 16A = 3.8kW

Therefore, I plan to purchase the SMALLEST/LIGHTEST L2 EVSE (16A) that I can lug around with me, and make up those pigtails....

I think the smallest L2 16A EVSE I have seen is made by Schneider Electric. (I think the Leviton 16A L2 is bigger than the Schneider Elec one). So, anyone else seen a really small 16A L2 EVSE product?

I'm still willing to bet that the bundled L1 EVSE with the Leaf could be converted to 220v without substantial rework. :)

It remains to be seen what replacement cost is on the L1 EVSE, or if another L2 unit would be more economical than a conversion.

mxp said:
I think the smallest L2 16A EVSE I have seen is made by Schneider Electric. (I think the Leviton 16A L2 is bigger than the Schneider Elec one). So, anyone else seen a really small 16A L2 EVSE product?
I have not seen the Schneider brand evse. I search the Schneider site and did not see anything.
Do you have a link to the product?

mxp said:
EVDRIVER said:
< cut >
If you have a Leaf and an EVSE like the Leviton for example you can just cut the plug off the end and swap with a 30A male twist connector. Then make a 1' long cable with the Leviton plug on one end and a male 30A twist on the other end. This pigtail allows one to take the Leviton or other EVSE along and use various pigtails for different conventional plugs. I will post some samples here at some point once people need them. If you have a 120/240 EVSE you can even have a 120 pigtail(s).

I suggest changing the name of this thread to EVSE ADAPTORS, then all this talk can go in one area. There will be much I can assure. We will likely have and area added for schematics in general at the main forum in time...

Hi EVDRIVER,

Could you post some pics or part numbers and prices of the:
1. 30A twist connector(s) presumably a "mating pair"
2. what type of 1 foot electrical cable required? (i.e what wire gauge etc)

I like this idea, and it's exactly what I intend to do with a L2 EVSE. Since our LEAFs come with only a 3.3kW charger, I assume that given 240V, a 16A L2 EVSE is as good as it gets right? 240V x 16A = 3.8kW

Therefore, I plan to purchase the SMALLEST/LIGHTEST L2 EVSE (16A) that I can lug around with me, and make up those pigtails....

Give me a bit and I will look at what I have and take some pics. The low current parts are much less than 50A.

smkettner said:
mxp said:
I have not seen the Schneider brand evse. I search the Schneider site and did not see anything.
Do you have a link to the product?

There were pics from the SJ plug in event someone posted. I'm having my friend that works for them try to get info but there is little at this time.

Here is a link to the schnieder electric site on their upcomming EVSE line...

http://www.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/electric-vehicle-charging/electric-vehicle-charging/

and a PDF of their brochure as well:

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Electrical%20Distribution/electric-vehicle-charging/0100BR1003.pdf

There are two product lines I believe (euro/US), these may be the Euro models and are handled separately.

EVDRIVER said:
I'm having my friend that works for them try to get info but there is little at this time.
That seems to be the disappointing story of EVSE in general... Except for Clipper Creek, who will ship an off-the-shelf EVSE for >$2000, everyone else's EVSE seems to be "coming soon". I would like to get the tax rebate this year, but it looks as if I wait until closer to the time my car will be available in PA (maybe next fall), there may be lots of choices; maybe the competition will mean lower prices.

tps said:
EVDRIVER said:
I'm having my friend that works for them try to get info but there is little at this time.
That seems to be the disappointing story of EVSE in general... Except for Clipper Creek, who will ship an off-the-shelf EVSE for >$2000, everyone else's EVSE seems to be "coming soon". I would like to get the tax rebate this year, but it looks as if I wait until closer to the time my car will be available in PA (maybe next fall), there may be lots of choices; maybe the competition will mean lower prices.

Its' just that they are new and info is not released until the launch is close, this is normal for many products. SE is a big company getting info is tough at times.

EVDRIVER said:
There are two product lines I believe (euro/US), these may be the Euro models and are handled separately.

They are from the U.S. Schnieder Electric site, also known to many as the old "Square D"

Back