more nubie questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdoe

More disinformation from the salesmen? (mostly honest mistakes. That's a lot of detail to remember, for many cars, and they aren't researching like we are). We were told the tires would only last 20k. ('the OME tires are cheap'). Thoughts? They are cheap, on most cars. Online, it seems most are getting ~40k?
And I'm fine with no spare. I can't think of the last time a tire burst. Or that I even got more than a slow leak. (but as a mechanic, I was amazed at how much metal there was in most tires!). Are run-flats recommended? I was never a fan of the fix a flat stuff.
He also said the car couldn't be jacked up. I guess he was just saying there was no jack. And I jumped to the conclusion that it had something to do with the battery.
While looking, should I buy Leaf Spy, and a OBD2 module to check the cars, or would that be done when the car gets checked out at a dealer?
We were also told that Carwings will be gone by 2017. ATT is dropping the 2G signal that it uses? He didn't know if there would be a replacement, or an upgrade for the earlier models.
thanks

I only got 22,000 miles out of the stock Ecopias, but many have had better luck. My problem is that I like to accelerate very fast off the line, which definitely takes its toll on the front tires. Some have found that the replacement Ecopias are a better quality than the OEM ones.
NEVER use the factory fix-a-flat goop, as it will clog the tire pressure sensor. The Leaf does include a tiny compressor, so you might be able to limp to a nearby tire shop, but I have AAA. Some have found a way to carry a spare, and get a jack from the junkyard.
If you are looking at a used Leaf, DEFINITELY get LeafSpy and an OBDII dongle to check the true battery condition. The bars on the dash are too coarse (the first one is 15%!), and the dealer battery test is worthless.

jjdoe said:
More disinformation from the salesmen? (mostly honest mistakes. That's a lot of detail to remember, for many cars, and they aren't researching like we are). We were told the tires would only last 20k. ('the OME tires are cheap'). Thoughts? They are cheap, on most cars. Online, it seems most are getting ~40k?
And I'm fine with no spare. I can't think of the last time a tire burst. Or that I even got more than a slow leak. (but as a mechanic, I was amazed at how much metal there was in most tires!). Are run-flats recommended? I was never a fan of the fix a flat stuff.
He also said the car couldn't be jacked up. I guess he was just saying there was no jack - or does it have to be on a lift?
While looking, should I buy Leaf Spy, and a OBD2 module to check the cars, or would that be done when the car gets checked out at a dealer?
thanks

In general -- be sure to add where you're located as some areas of the country are harder or easier on EV's than others; you'll get more specific info that you can use if you include this in your MNL profile

Tires -- my '12 had about 32K miles on the OEM's and were totally worn out; my regular mechanic (once the warranty expires or maintenance items), who also happens to be a Bridgestone/Firestone reseller has long lamented on what the tire mfg's. fit per OEM spec's; its not only a price point but weight, etc. so typically these simply don't last very long --- that's not to say all are like this but it also depends on how you drive, etc. If you're in a moderate climate with 'good' roads, no need to worry about run flats; I live in the Midwest and we have LOTS of potholes so I went with Bridgestone Drive Guards RFT's; slight range penalty as well as heavier but the wife drives it as well so worth the few extra bucks so I'm not putting her stranded somewhere -- these new RFT's are a huge improvement of what came out even a few years ago, quiet ride, decent cornering, etc.; I think mine have a 60K expected tread life; I can live with that ...

Jack up the car?? -- simply not true; you can use a garage jack to hoist it up, just make sure you check the manual for the proper jacking points; he is correct though, not included to save weight

Leaf Spy, and a OBD2 module to check the cars -- depends on how long to plan to keep it as well as if you're planning on a new or used one; used one I would say yes to see how much capacity, etc. is left; new one on a 3 year lease, etc. probably not worth it unless you plan to buy it after the lease is up

The car can be jacked up, but doesn't include a jack, I use an old toyota jack to rotate my tires. We have 2 Leafs, both 2013, both with about 22K miles, both sets of ectopias show obvious wear, but also have at least 5k miles left. LeafSpy is somewhat useful, but not mandatory for everyday use, unless you have a 2011 or 2012 Leaf. Starting with 2013 the "GOM" (Guess-O-Meter= Mileage left readout) was markedly improved, so that in many cases is quite accurate. Additionally, Nissan makes continuing program tweaks to the data supplied to LeafSpy, so that data from one car to another may not be directly comparable.

I got a plug patch kit and carry it, along w a pair of pliers (to remove nails, etc) in case I get a flat. I've never used it, and have AAA. Mainly, if I get a flat from a nail, I'd fix it myself quicker than AAA can respond. I agree, don't use the can of slime that comes with the car fixit kit. Even if it doesn't mess up the tire pressure sensors, it makes fixing the flat properly much more difficult and has a tendency to rust the wheel.

My B Class came with run flat tires. They make for a rough ride and most drivers hate them!

I got 45,000 miles out of the stock Ecopias, Probably could get 5,000 more but decided not to risk it. On a second set now, expecting similar or better results. Works for me.

Yes, the stock tires don't last long. We have 17K miles on our 2015 and there's obvious wear. Some say that keeping them higher psi >40 will extend life. I will probably get 30K miles on them and that's about it. I hear that the same ecopias when purchased as replacements, last longer than the OEM ones, not sure why? Maybe they make them cheaper for Nissan, anything to save a buck I guess?

As far as a flat. Most people just say that if you get a flat, call for a tow to a tire shop, rather than use the included goop. Also I heard that if you lease the car and have used the tire goop, they make you replace it with the official Nissan brand ($200). So my advice in this situation would be to buy the aftermarket tire goop (<$50) and just keep it in your car. If you get a flat, use the aftermarket one, this way you won't have to be forced to pay $200 when you return the car at the end of the lease.

As far as the OBD reader, I use iOS with Leaf Stat, although I know that leaf spy is available for iOS now as well. The Wifi reader I bought is too bulky so I need to unplug it every time I want to use it. If I could do it again, I'd buy a low profile one and leave it plugged in. You'll find when you get one of these things you'll obsess over stats, which isn't always a good thing. All I do with mine these days is plug it in every few weeks when I'm at 100% and check on my total GIDS, but if you have an early model year car, they can be handy for checking real range while drive, especially if you're pushing the car to its max.

As far as jacking up the car, I have no basis for judgement here.

I damaged an Ecopia tire by gently hitting a curb at low speed. It ripped the sidewall, leaving the tire completely unrepairable. If my one data point is any indication, these tires are more fragile than other common tires, so carrying a spare IS a good idea. Fortunately, Nissan roadside service gave me a free ride home to get my spare tire. You get 3 years free roadside service from Nissan and they will either tow you to a nearby garage or to your nearby home.

If you (or anyone else) is interested in having a spare tire, I have an extra Nissan rim and tire that I'll sell cheap. This is not a temporary tire. It is a good Nissan rim from another car with a partially worn tire. It fits my 2013 SV cleanly. Private-message to me and we can work something out. I'm in New Hampshire. It probably doesn't make sense to ship it, so local only.

As others have said, it is easy to jack up a Leaf. There is a reinforcement in the body, near the tire specifically for this purpose. It's described in the manual. However, a Leaf is heavier than a Civic or other compact car, so don't use the cheapest jack in the world.

Bob

I got about 20,000 miles from the OEM Ecopias. When I replaced them, I bought cheapo tires, but they had an expected life of 60,000 miles. So I took a slight range hit (maybe 10%?) but am saving money on the tires.

In my experience driving, I have gotten several flat tires over the years, However, not a single one of them was repairable with fix-a-flat and a compressor. They are typically from hitting pot holes or road debris like re-treads from trucks. That will tear your tire apart. I am only comfortable with the lack of the spare in the Leaf because of the car's nature as a local-only driver. I can always have someone pick me up, and run me home to grab a snow tire from my garage. If I was going to drive the car hundreds of miles, that wouldn't be possible. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that :roll:

Back