Motorcycle guy @ work looked at me as if I was an alien...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

After I parked the Leaf this morning I passed a group of guys in their 50's and 60's. These guys typically are 30 mins early to work each day, back into their parking spots, and just watch people arrive and go into the building.

One of them rides a 3 wheeled Harley-Davidson chopper/touring bike in the summer. I think he noticed/found out that my car was an EV today. The motorcyle guy and his friend, F250 guy, stared me down as I walked to the building. Motorcycle guy had this intense confused/dissaproval look on his face. So, I 'gave him the nod' and waved. As if to say, 'hello I see you too'

I have worked here for 7 years and these old guys never gave me any grief. I have owned this car 2 months people treat me differently....

Its not just these guys in the parkinglot either. Some people get offensive towards EV's (and instantly transition into politics) or get really defensive about their car of choice after I respond (with facts or a joke) to whatever snarky comment they made to me. They start justifying their range anxiety to me and how an EV would never meet their needs.

I dont really care about them and their situation. The car works for me so I drive it. What they choose to do for transportation has nothing to do with me. Just because I have this car does not mean I am looking at everyone else judging their car choice, its carbonfootprint, or MPG. I am the same dude who had the 2003 Ford sedan 2 months ago, my wife drives an SUV, and we have an American flag at our house!

Im tellin ya; owning a Leaf can be tough when you live in a city with a GM plant that makes SUV's and you live an hour from Detroit. People in Michigan can be critical of EV's (and their owners)!

Does anyone else live in an area where EV's are not really accepted/supported/considered 'normal'?

Anyone that drives a tricycle loses all rights to judge people about their vehicle choices.

It's because they don't understand/know better. So you can either waste your time explaining, or just accept that you are smarter in this case and keep on walking, let them enjoy their 'big wheel'.

I see people posting on local forums how they love parking in EV spots because their taxes paid for the EV charging station. With some people, there's just no hope ;)

All I know is, I love this car, does the job, I can refuel at home, there are some green aspects to it, sure, but as long as you like it, who cares.

CMYK4Life said:
Does anyone else live in an area where EV's are not really accepted/supported/considered 'normal'?

does anyone really give a rats ass about how his choice of vehicle is viewed?

does the approval of others validate the choices you make in life?

I am not a fan of people who have chosen motorcycles as their commuting vehicle, I am sure those that ride motorcycles couldn't care less if they have my approval.

Just let the SUV-guys know that the "compensating for size" works both ways, and THAT's why you drive your EV. ;)

We are normally one of the lowest prices for petrol in the nation. A couple weeks ago we shot to 3rd most expensive in a matter of 48 hours because the refineries were partially shutting down for maintenance. Anyhow, long story short. We stopped at gas/everything station to grab a drink n hdog. Saw a friend pumping gas in his h3. All of the pumps were full as I drove by I pointed and shouted "HA HA" like Nelson always did on the Simpsons. It was aimed at my friend, but I couldn't help noticing a few pissed off looks I got as I whispered away. Maybe it's just natural not to smile at the pump. It's always funny. People are automatically going to debate you because it's not the norm. As a society we are led to believe one way is right and anything different you are foolish for straying from the herd.

supra410 said:
Saw a friend pumping gas in his h3. All of the pumps were full as I drove by I pointed and shouted "HA HA" like Nelson always did on the Simpsons. It was aimed at my friend, but I couldn't help noticing a few pissed off looks I got as I whispered away.

I get that you were directing your commentary to your friend, but I'm not sure poking the bear is a good idea. Not in that neck of the woods, anyhow.

mwalsh said:
supra410 said:
Saw a friend pumping gas in his h3. All of the pumps were full as I drove by I pointed and shouted "HA HA" like Nelson always did on the Simpsons. It was aimed at my friend, but I couldn't help noticing a few pissed off looks I got as I whispered away.

I get that you were directing your commentary to your friend, but I'm not sure poking the bear is a good idea. Not in that neck of the woods, anyhow.

Haha, you are probably right. However my physical appearance is a bit menacing as my wife tells me. I'm a 6' 300lb burly Mexican fellow. I'm not a violent person, but I'm sure some who don't know me would give a second thought before confronting me. :lol:

CMYK4Life said:
After I parked the Leaf this morning I passed a group of guys in their 50's and 60's. These guys typically are 30 mins early to work each day, back into their parking spots, and just watch people arrive and go into the building.

One of them rides a 3 wheeled Harley-Davidson chopper/touring bike in the summer. I think he noticed/found out that my car was an EV today. The motorcyle guy and his friend, F250 guy, stared me down as I walked to the building. Motorcycle guy had this intense confused/dissaproval look on his face. So, I 'gave him the nod' and waved. As if to say, 'hello I see you too'

I have worked here for 7 years and these old guys never gave me any grief. I have owned this car 2 months people treat me differently....

Its not just these guys in the parkinglot either. Some people get offensive towards EV's (and instantly transition into politics) or get really defensive about their car of choice after I respond (with facts or a joke) to whatever snarky comment they made to me. They start justifying their range anxiety to me and how an EV would never meet their needs.

I dont really care about them and their situation. The car works for me so I drive it. What they choose to do for transportation has nothing to do with me. Just because I have this car does not mean I am looking at everyone else judging their car choice, its carbonfootprint, or MPG. I am the same dude who had the 2003 Ford sedan 2 months ago, my wife drives an SUV, and we have an American flag at our house!

Im tellin ya; owning a Leaf can be tough when you live in a city with a GM plant that makes SUV's and you live an hour from Detroit. People in Michigan can be critical of EV's (and their owners)!

Had they just come from early morning bow hunting or paintball with Ted Nugent?

CMYK4Life said:

I don't live in an area where EV agro is common, actually EVs are very common in my area, the Seattle-metro area. However my social circles have me taking a lot of flak from people around me. My main circle of people I socialize w/ are automotive enthusiasts; various motorsports fans, auto-Xers, HPDE track junkies, tuners and muscle car guys. I find myself the butt of the occasional joke because I own a Leaf. I've had my Leaf for nearly years now and unfortunately I have to say that I have a fewer acquaintances and at least one less friend and I believe it is because of it. Reactions I've gotten from people by telling them I have a Nissan Leaf are akin to telling people that I have Herpes; they range anywhere from "Oh... I'm sorry to hear that." to "Get the f**k away from me!". What is strange about this EV agro is that I still have my other cars; the car I take out to autocross and the track and my truck. Nothing has changed in that respect except I traded in our old family car for a Leaf. I haven't changed at all but they perceive that I have and in some sense I can tell that some of them, in some way, think I am "the enemy". What or who "the enemy" is in their minds I can only speculate.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but it could be worse. At least the people who have issues w/ you for driving a Leaf are people that you don't particularly care for. It's a different story when it's the people that you call your friends.

CMYK4Life said:
It was the opposite around here (San Diego North County). You were more likely to get a "high five". But now with so many LEAFs, Teslas, Volts, and now Plug-in Fords it's no longer anything unusual.
To help avoid contempt I do avoid using the car-pool on-ramp if it's only a short wait in the regular lane. I don't hold anyone up in the CarPool lane, and i wish the local chargers were at the FAR end of the car park rather than taking up the two most convenient spots (after the 6 handicap ones). But it doesn't look so bad now that more cars are using them.
Shaun

gbshaun said:
It was the opposite around here (San Diego North County). You were more likely to get a "high five". But now with so many LEAFs, Teslas, Volts, and now Plug-in Fords it's no longer anything unusual.Shaun
Same here in Campbell. I see lots of Leafs, Volts, and Teslas every day. I can see how it would be vastly different in middle America.

The only grief I get in Los Angeles is from people who insist on racing up to a red light and stopping rather than driving more leisurely and timing the lights properly. Many seem to think that it is rude not to race up to a red light. They pass me, sometimes rather aggressively, and race up to stop. I usually pass them in another lane while they are still waiting after the light changes to green. Very odd social custom.

Stoaty said:
The only grief I get in Los Angeles is from people who insist on racing up to a red light and stopping rather than driving more leisurely and timing the lights properly. Many seem to think that it is rude not to race up to a red light. They pass me, sometimes rather aggressively, and race up to stop. I usually pass them in another lane while they are still waiting after the light changes to green. Very odd social custom.
Yes and EV is probably even better at this old custom.

To the OP, at least they are talking.

CMYK4Life said:

I live in "ground zero" for EV adoption and still occasionally get antagonism both from comments and while driving.

A couple of weeks ago some lady went into full-on Road Rage. It happened just after a bridge toll plaza. I think what set her off was that I was able to use the carpool lane (1/2 off toll) and this did not comport with her ideology. This gave her justification to risk a few dozen lives to even the score. She made a crazy run across a large diagonally-striped area to try to cut me off, was a little late for it and so she made a reckless swing right across 3 lanes, and then all the way back over to get in front of me and then played slow-down braking games for the next few miles until she reached her exit and gave me the finger. :|

I do try to be very conscious of the "social speed limits", and if I'm not in the right lane I'm diligent about keeping pace with whatever speeding is going on. I sure don't want to be "that guy", in "that car". ;)

Stoaty said:

Lots of signals in CA are activated by induction sensors in the pavement and are not on timers. I think this tends to encourage the race-up-and-squat habit. Of course there's no need if someone's already up ahead waiting, but a habit is a habit.

Stoaty said:

I don't think most folk even notice my car is electric, except when I'm regenning up to a light, never touching the brake.

Nubo said:
Lots of signals in CA are activated by induction sensors in the pavement and are not on timers. I think this tends to encourage the race-up-and-squat habit. Of course there's no need if someone's already up ahead waiting, but a habit is a habit.
Good point, but I am talking about heavily traveled surface streets where there is no lack of cars to trip induction sensors--and the lights are on timers anyway, so I know pretty much when they are going to turn green or red. It takes 10 minutes from the 101 freeway to my workplace, and you can't shorten that time by driving faster... much to the chagrin of a couple of co-workers who sometimes race past me on their way to work and then find that I arrive before they do. :lol:

Back