Motorcycle guy @ work looked at me as if I was an alien...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENIAC said:
Right, Ford F250 pickup truck. I didn't think to put my trash in the bed. That would have been a really good idea. Because I was a bit embarrassed standing in that open parking lot urinating into the gas tank of a Ford F250.
I can always count on you guys to brighten my day. :lol: Just hope I can get that image out of my head. :oops:

thankyouOB said:
i get that in Michigan some folks might be averse to foreign made, but LEAFy is now made in a border state, along with its battery.

You'll be surprised how many people, especially fans of American car brands, refuse to believe that an American-made car from a foreign-based brand is "American," especially if it was not built with UAW labor. The fact that a car is built elsewhere in the US doesn't count according to them, since the money goes to Japan or Korea or Germany (which is their main beef).

RonDawg said:
I think in the OP's case a lot of the "hate" has to do with the fact that he's driving a "furrin" car in the heart of UAW-land. I suspect he wouldn't have gotten the same hate-stares had there been a bowtie on the grill and the word "Volt" on the hatch and fenders.
I also wonder if their tune would be different if the OP's car was a Volt.
Drivesolo said:
I don't live in an area where EV agro is common, actually EVs are very common in my area, the Seattle-metro area. However my social circles have me taking a lot of flak from people around me. My main circle of people I socialize w/ are automotive enthusiasts; various motorsports fans, auto-Xers, HPDE track junkies, tuners and muscle car guys. I find myself the butt of the occasional joke because I own a Leaf. I've had my Leaf for nearly years now and unfortunately I have to say that I have a fewer acquaintances and at least one less friend and I believe it is because of it. Reactions I've gotten from people by telling them I have a Nissan Leaf are akin to telling people that I have Herpes; they range anywhere from "Oh... I'm sorry to hear that." to "Get the f**k away from me!". What is strange about this EV agro is that I still have my other cars; the car I take out to autocross and the track and my truck. Nothing has changed in that respect except I traded in our old family car for a Leaf. I haven't changed at all but they perceive that I have and in some sense I can tell that some of them, in some way, think I am "the enemy". What or who "the enemy" is in their minds I can only speculate.
The reactions are somewhat surprising. I last left the Seattle area in mid-2011 and I saw the occasional 1st gen Rav4 EV and saw a few Leafs here and there. I'd imagine there are a LOT more EVs now.

I wish some of these haters had some realization about the world's oil supply, proven reserves, the amount we import, that some of it winds up in the hands of terrorists/regimes that dislike us, environmental consequences of oil, etc. They ought to be thankful for EVs and fuel efficient vehicles. It means reduced demand and more for them.

RonDawg said:
thankyouOB said:
i get that in Michigan some folks might be averse to foreign made, but LEAFy is now made in a border state, along with its battery.

You'll be surprised how many people, especially fans of American car brands, refuse to believe that an American-made car from a foreign-based brand is "American," especially if it was not built with UAW labor. The fact that a car is built elsewhere in the US doesn't count according to them, since the money goes to Japan or Korea or Germany (which is their main beef).
Especially when marauding around in a RAM built in MX and owned by FIAT :lol:

and the Fords and such with their European made engines, and parts from MX and Canada... There's a few local car dealers that can't stop waving the "buy american" stuff... Nevermind the above facts.. Nevermind that Nissan's plant in TN gave jobs to americans..

I got a red leaf, even though I like bright colors in a car for less heat absorption. My reasoning was a bright leaf makes the zero emissions logos stand out and when they see it they may get grumpy, but a red car invites people to just look at the shape of the car and when they see the bulbous headlamps their brains shut down before they can go into criticizing mode.

sorphin said:
and the Fords and such with their European made engines, and parts from MX and Canada... There's a few local car dealers that can't stop waving the "buy american" stuff... Nevermind the above facts.. Nevermind that Nissan's plant in TN gave jobs to americans..
On this note, this is now a little old, but there's are some nice charts and maps at http://www.caranddriver.com/features/a-graphic-representation-of-whats-really-made-in-america-feature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Don't forget the PDF at http://www.caranddriver.com/content/download/251280/4133986/version/1/file/Domestic+Bliss.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
sorphin said:
On this note, this is now a little old, but there's are some nice charts and maps at http://www.caranddriver.com/features/a-graphic-representation-of-whats-really-made-in-america-feature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Don't forget the PDF at http://www.caranddriver.com/content/download/251280/4133986/version/1/file/Domestic+Bliss.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As case in my point is Ford's "ecoboost" crap.. which is all producted in Europe from reading the wikipedia page about it...

smkettner said:
RonDawg said:
thankyouOB said:

Especially when marauding around in a RAM built in MX and owned by FIAT :lol:

Or for that matter when Chrysler was owned by Mercedes.

davewill said:
eclecticflower said:
Do you mean a Ford truck? Surely, that good samaritan was just providing a you a bed in which to empty your trunktrash. How nice. :cool: Perhaps you should have obliged?
ENIAC said:
Right, Ford F250 pickup truck. I didn't think to put my trash in the bed. That would have been a really good idea. Because I was a bit embarrassed standing in that open parking lot urinating into the gas tank of a Ford F250.
Good ideas. All I could think of was hocking up a big one and spitting on his door handle.

Four deflated tires would have worked nicely....

jelloslug said:
I have had a few people ask the normal eco nut questions and my reply is "It could run on freshly harvested baby seal faces for all I care, just as long as it still cost $2.75 to fill up." That usually shuts them up.

He he..... Perhaps a little extreme, but indeed, that line of reasoning is very effective I think. Here in KC, when they ask me about it, I lead off being a little negative. I tell them the range is such that it would never work as your only vehicle. That softens them -- they think I am all negative. Then I tell them my 33 mile commute costs a dollar most of the year, and when my solar panels are overproducing in the spring and the fall, I get to drive to work and back for about $0.19.

That's when they get real quiet.........

I then dutifully explain that the capital costs for the $.019 commute are pretty bad, but I can afford it and someone has to try new technology first. Then we get into a details conversation and mostly, politics are behind us.....

Nubo said:
Lots of signals in CA are activated by induction sensors in the pavement and are not on timers. I think this tends to encourage the race-up-and-squat habit. Of course there's no need if someone's already up ahead waiting, but a habit is a habit.

What a novel idea! Every single light in the city of Syracuse is on a timer - not a single sensor within city limits. It's not terrible during the day, when there is a good amount of traffic, but is annoying as h3!! at night, waiting for a light with no other cars in sight...

Most all lights in Los Angeles are synchronized and vehicle presence sensors are only used for left turn or little used lanes.

Nubo said:
Lots of signals in CA are activated by induction sensors in the pavement and are not on timers. I think this tends to encourage the race-up-and-squat habit. Of course there's no need if someone's already up ahead waiting, but a habit is a habit.

supra410 said:
CMYK4Life said:
'So, when did you turn gay?'

Like I said in a previous post. I'm not a violent person, but that statement right there is qualification for a pop knot or two to be thrown at that person. People can be so close minded and ignorant that it's offensive.

If you want to really engage this fellow, ask HR about their harassment policy and ask them to copy this fellow to make sure he understands what he could be held accountable for.

cdherman said:
...I lead off being a little negative. I tell them the range is such that it would never work as your only vehicle...
Uh, it's my only vehicle, and it works just fine for me. It can work great for a lot of people with similar needs to mine, as well. Rather than kill the enthusiasm for this technology, consider providing a more positive education on the range and how it correlates to an interested party's needs. Complemented by the future growth of charging infrastructure here, there's even more value added to expand one's horizons. As always, YMMV.

eclecticflower said:
cdherman said:
...I lead off being a little negative. I tell them the range is such that it would never work as your only vehicle...
Uh, it's my only vehicle, and it works just fine for me. It can work great for a lot of people with similar needs to mine, as well. Rather than kill the enthusiasm for this technology, consider providing a more positive education on the range and how it correlates to an interested party's needs. Complemented by the future growth of charging infrastructure here, there's even more value added to expand one's horizons. As always, YMMV.

I think the main point people miss. Just because the EPA says you will only make it 73 miles. That number seems to stick & people fail to remember their daily driving needs never come close to this number.

Also, with any car, it is nothing but a black hole for money. You have the initial cost, followed by maintenance, and our favorite cost. Gasoline! The Leaf or any EV for that matter heavily subsidizes it's own operating costs substantially. They eliminate the last two and replacing it with a cheaper way of powering the car. It's really difficult sometimes to make people think outside the box for once.

eclecticflower said:
cdherman said:

I don't consider it killing the enthusiasm, but being realistic. For many people, having a BEV as their only car would require an occasional ICEV rental, and for some that's just too much of an inconvenience. That's no different than telling people they can't drive cross-country in their Leaf even though folks like Tony Williams have; it's possible, but not practical for most.

My "target demographic" is those who would normally have a second vehicle strictly for commuting purposes. They would already have an ICEV (often more than one) and would often buy a cheap but high MPG car such as a Yaris or a Versa because the ICEV is too thirsty for their long distance commutes. As long as their commutes and charging opportunities are within the car's requirements, they are the perfect candidates for a pure EV like the Leaf.

GetOffYourGas said:
Every single light in the city of Syracuse is on a timer - not a single sensor within city limits. It's not terrible during the day, when there is a good amount of traffic, but is annoying as h3!! at night, waiting for a light with no other cars in sight...
TomT said:
Most all lights in Los Angeles are synchronized and vehicle presence sensors are only used for left turn or little used lanes.
You guys are making me drool. All of our lights here are on sensors, and I have never seen the slightest hint that any of them are synchronized with any others. Try timing your way through the lights with that setup, as LEAFfan says he is able to do when he drives locally. I'm pretty sure that is why I get 3 to 3.5 m/KwH driving around in town, and much higher mileages on the freeway. Today I took a weird way out of town with no traffic signals to a country road I rarely travel. I was shocked to see 5.0 m/kWh at the city limits, despite having stopped at five stop signs. The thing was, I knew where the stop signs were, so I could ease my way up to them. You can't do that with traffic signals if you have no idea when they are going to change. Instead it's likely to be either a quick stop or (perhaps) gun your way through the yellow.

Ray

Nekota said:
supra410 said:
CMYK4Life said:
'So, when did you turn gay?'

Like I said in a previous post. I'm not a violent person, but that statement right there is qualification for a pop knot or two to be thrown at that person. People can be so close minded and ignorant that it's offensive.

If you want to really engage this fellow, ask HR about their harassment policy and ask them to copy this fellow to make sure he understands what he could be held accountable for.
it is amazing that someone could be so maladjusted that they are so affected by the way a couple of geezers look at their car.

one guy wants to inflict violence on someone who looks at them cross eyed and another one runs to "mommy" to cry that the big bad men don't like his car.

sad!

supra410 said:
....I think the main point people miss. Just because the EPA says you will only make it 73 miles. That number seems to stick & people fail to remember their daily driving needs never come close to that....

....It's really difficult sometimes to make people think outside the box for once.
Agreed. That's the first thing I explain - that it's about your daily travel needs, not your weekly needs, or how they're refueling a gas car each week. If I can get people to correlate the Leaf's battery charging with how they use their small battery devices (phones, tablets, things they "can't live without," that they plug in at the end of the day or when they need to charge), it helps them understand. The paradigm shift comes when they realize they can manage their daily charge needs as well as (or better than) their weekly gas habit.

Back